User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
alphaBETAdog OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I couldn't believe it!

Went to Chipotles for lunch. There seemed to be adiquate parking but not particularly abundant, however there is plenty closer the the Albertson's in the same shopping center. Next door to Chipotles is a Starbucks. I ride up and park my scooter in perphaps one of the last avalable spaces. As I was putting my helmet and gloves in the top case a woman pulled in right behind me and started yelling at me how rude it was for me to be taking the last parking spot and that I should find someware else to park or something to that affect. I was dumbfounded as I was certain I didn't pull in front of her or anything like that. She was driving a large black Suburban or similar, and as far as I could see she was by herself. She didn't go into Chipotle, so I assumed she went to Starbucks.

Normally I do try to park in oddball type spaces and even up close to the business when I'm certain it doesn't effect passersby, but didn't see any of those places in this area and just used a space. Was it rude? I didn't think it is any different whether I happend to ride in on a scooter or in my truck. I didn't respond to her as she had backed away and drove off before it registered what she was moaning about. Weird thing is I thought she was being rude and self-centered which was the same thing she apparently thought of me. Sort of ruined my lunch.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Some people often think that scooters, and even motorcycles, don't deserve a parking space. And many riders do park in the triangle at the end of a row of spaces, along the curb, or on the sidewalk. I tend to do that, but it is more to protect the bike from being run over. Bikes can be hard to see until someone pulling into a parking space has already run over them. BUT, scooters and motorcycles are allowed parking spaces just like any other vehicle. They are registered and plated just like a car. She had no right to act that way, some people are just like that.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
She's an arse-hole.

You did nothing wrong. In fact, bikers who park on striped portions of lots, or on the sidewalks...technically are violating the law. What happens depends on how interested the store management is in enforcing parking regs.

What I would have done...is waited until that loony broad went into wherever she was going; to make sure she didn't do something stupid like run over your scoot. Once inside, she'll either cool off or find someone else to abuse or hit; and it won't be your problem.

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
It's OK, she needed the exercise (and the stress relief it provided).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I normally park as far back as I can in a parking lot as people won't see the scooter till they're already pulling into the space, but there's nothing wrong with taking a space.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith
I normally park as far back as I can in a parking lot as people won't see the scooter till they're already pulling into the space, but there's nothing wrong with taking a space.
You might want to try not parking so deep into the parking space. If someone can pull in before they see your scoot, they're more likely to squash it. Try parking so that the scoot is pretty much right in the middle of the space, front-to-rear and side-to-side. This works pretty good for me. YMMV.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
You might want to try not parking so deep into the parking space. If someone can pull in before they see your scoot, they're more likely to squash it. Try parking so that the scoot is pretty much right in the middle of the space, front-to-rear and side-to-side. This works pretty good for me. YMMV.
Oh I do that, but if I have the option of just parking further away I usually do. Less likely to have someone bump it with a car door or forget it's there and crank the wheel when pulling out or something stupid.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
JDHolveck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I've had the same thing happen more times that I care to count. People in cages tend to get irritable if they don't get their own way.

As far as parking, I always either back into the stall or maneuver so I'm just going to zip out. I've been backing out of a stall on my scooter and nearly got hit. It's that nice reminder every once in a while that to people in cages, you are invisible.
JDHolveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
It comes down to the attitude of the person, not the form of transportation you're parking.

I've been yelled at for:

Going the "wrong way" down a two-way parking aisle.

"Taking too many spaces" when pulling a 30' trailer, even though I was parked at the outer edge of the lot.

"Almost" hitting someone's car after pulling into a space with my work van (our bumpers were 3" apart, nose to nose). I very nearly said, "I'm sorry. I didn't know that you wanted me to run into your car. Just a sec and I'll fix that."

People have bad days, get irritable, and take it out over the littlest things sometimes. I figure if someone yelling at me keeps them from taking it out on a kid I've done my job for the day.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Just ignore it. Life is to short to be bothered by asses.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #11
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
Just ignore it. Life is to short to be bothered by asses.
Agreed, but we have bad days too, some days asses are more easily tolerated. Some days not so much.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 527
Asses? We've all got one, follows us around all day. Get used to it.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 1,106
Common courtesy isn't so common anymore. I try to be nice to people... until they prove they don't deserve it. She didn't. You were a gentleman, even though she wasn't a lady. Well, at least you didn't tell her to kiss your ass (which was my first thought). Don't give it a second thought... you know she didn't - she probably treats everyone like that.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
*Gmoney*
don't look here

Oddometer: 910
Imagine what would have happened
if he parked in the shade of a tree
in a parking lot in Arizona?
He may not have been around to tell this story.
*Gmoney* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gmoney*
Imagine what would have happened
if he parked in the shade of a tree
in a parking lot in Arizona?
He may not have been around to tell this story.