User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
t30
Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 170
Hang In there

Two and a half weeks ago I was laid up on my back. I landed off a jump at the local MX track that weekend and it really screwed up my back. Not the first back issue, I've had occasional pain for many years.

About two months ago the Othro Doc said my L3 slipped forward of L4 likely many years ago so I figure this might be related. He wants to do an L3-L4 fusion but the thought of not riding for 6 months to a year has me holding off.

My back pain has subsided substantially even to the point where I've ridden on pavement but I'm still not even close to 100%. I have an MRI in two weeks to get more data, but I'm hoping like you that through PT I can strengthen the muscles and tendons in that area to avert this issue in the future. I've also decided that at age 53 my days on the MX track are over. No more aerials for me. Its trails, FSR and asphalt from now on.
t30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
September of 2012 I had a little off on a dirtbike resulting in the loss of 30% of the height in my l2, 4 blushing discs, and multiple fractures along the back of my spine. It's a long healing process and unfortunately any back injury makes the list of shit that will never be completely right again. However I'm riding on road again and some what managing the pain. A chiropractor is my best friend.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Hey, I had 2 vertabre ripped out of my neck and all disks removed with the exception of c1 and c7. Fused and plated from c2-c6. Lower spine, L4-s1, all disks removed(discetomies and fasectomies). S1 is still indicating that it is fractured. Currently I have been on a methadone program for 7 years for pain with occasional trigger point injections. Seek the advice of 3 different surgeons, not sharing any input from the others with the exception of the MRI's etc. See what they have to say. As stated above, research the shit out of this on your own, seek others with similar problems. Speak to others at the dr's office, especially post op types, is the follow up treatment good or not. Sadly the scumbag dopers who like barbituates have created such a problem with theft, robberies etc, getting a dr to script anything decent and continue is near impossible today. If you do need pain meds, don't, DON'T, DON"T DARE to take them unless you really need to. You will get screwed up especially if you have a propensity to wanna party on dude. This is grow up time, this is so important I can't stress it enough! I take just enough to take the edge off in the AM so I can get out and moving, as the day progresses and I feel better, I do more. I ride my klr, wr250r and bmw1150rt when I'm up to it. The choices you make now will dictate your life and quality of life for the rest of your life. Be careful, choose wisely and DO NOT DISCUSS THIS WITH ANYONE FROM WORK.....EVER. To them, just say, I feel great, everything is wonderful. The motherfuckers will creep out of the woodwork like sewerage from a leaky pipe and feed on your weaknesses like animals, I kid you not! Especially your employers, they will come to you like caring friends and behind your back the knife is being sharpened to a razors edge. Be careful if you use chiropractors for this injury, I would not; go to PT and do a lot of strength excercises that will support your body after asking the doc. BE CAREFUL, say little and always smile, no one wants to hear about negative things over and over! I never speak of my pain nor complain. This is my life, my cross to bear. Live your life well, always remain humble, positive and greatful , accept this as one of your life's changes with dignity and grace. Only because of these things that happened to me, I strive to help others who are less fortunate than I, and there are many deserving of this help who are good and decent people. Surround yourself with good and emotionally healthy people, that makes a big difference. I know that some of this makes me seem cranky. I'm being very brief here and many of the lessons and experiences I had were incredibly tough and painful. These were my experiences, I kept this very short and to the point, my story and opinions. Good luck and hang tough!

Big-O screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 04:34 PM
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Mtn Man OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks to all!

Wow, you folks have been great to share your experiences! I continue the PT and things seem to be working better. I have avoided pain meds, stress to my back and I am really surprised how well I am doing. My PT professionals suggested I try a short ride ... Life is good! I just got home from a short ride and I now have new motivation! Things might be better than I thought ... Hopeful anyway.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and I will keep you informed.

DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
Wow, you folks have been great to share your experiences! I continue the PT and things seem to be working better. I have avoided pain meds, stress to my back and I am really surprised how well I am doing. My PT professionals suggested I try a short ride ... Life is good! I just got home from a short ride and I now have new motivation! Things might be better than I thought ... Hopeful anyway.

Thanks again to everyone who posted and I will keep you informed.

That's wonderful news!

I'm really happy for you. It's hard work, but worth it. All the best.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Mtn Man OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Thanks, I am getting more in the habit of that 5:30 alarm to get my butt out of bed and to the gym. I am amazed how much progress I see from week to week. I am becoming more optimistic about my long term results . However my long time riding buddy who has had three back surgerys tells me not to get ahead of myself, so I am paying attention. I still have some hope for Silverton Co in August!

Thanks again to everyone and for those still in pain, hang in there I send you good thoughts!

DRZ 400
Harley Road Glide
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #22
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
Thanks, I am getting more in the habit of that 5:30 alarm to get my butt out of bed and to the gym. I am amazed how much progress I see from week to week. I am becoming more optimistic about my long term results . However my long time riding buddy who has had three back surgerys tells me not to get ahead of myself, so I am paying attention. I still have some hope for Silverton Co in August!

Thanks again to everyone and for those still in pain, hang in there I send you good thoughts!

You get out here, you best let me know.

I'd love to show you around.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Big-O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I'm happy to hear that you are progressing well MtnMan, that is great news for you! Keep up with what you are doing and before you know it, it is in the past and you'll be feeling better than you ever did. Congrats!
Big-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #24
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
No fracture but herniated disc here.

Im not the best follower of my own advice but here goes.

1: if you are heavy lose weight
2: Swim
3: Swim

Swiiming allows your spine to work out in a weightless manner and its the best way to rebuild the core muscle around the spine.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote