Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 AM   #16
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
The three grades of gas are all plumbed to the individual pumps. The amount of gas left in a line is all you need to worry about. It has been figuered out before, and the amount is pretty small. Not worth getting all worried about.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122944043385810527.html

Even at 1/3 of a gallon you are not going to significantly effect the octane level if you are adding 3 gallong. The 5 points in octane difference doesn't lower the total by a significant amount. For instance, if you have 3 gallons in your tank, that is nine 1/3 gallons. Octane at 87+91+91+91+91+91+91+91+91=815/9=90.55555556 Octane. You lose less than half a single octane level. If your tank is bigger than three gallons, even less. For instance, a GS at 5 gallons is 90.733333.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 05:01 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,968
I have high performance motors that encourage 93 in both cars and bikes. They all run fine on 87, but don't get as good fuel economy.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #18
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I have high performance motors that encourage 93 in both cars and bikes. They all run fine on 87, but don't get as good fuel economy.
Unless you drive them hard it should work the other way around. The higher octane gas just prevents pinging in high performance motors.

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ctaneFacts.pdf

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 AM   #19
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser View Post
Well, maybe it's not too late to get this dumb thread of mine sent down to the basement! How do I do it? Post some boobies or tell a scatological joke?
Please advise.
Definitely the boobies. Would sure help my piston. Go for it!
Old 06-26-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The three grades of gas are all plumbed to the individual pumps. The amount of gas left in a line is all you need to worry about. It has been figuered out before, and the amount is pretty small. Not worth getting all worried about.

Jim
Not true. Stations usually only have 2 grades of fuel in the ground. Fuel is pumped from both in ground tanks and mixed to the proper octane in the pump and then dispensed thru the hose.

http://ethanolpumps.org/how-they-work.html

Quote:
A blender pump draws two fuels from separate storage tanks and mixes them together in various percentages to form a variety of fuel choices for the station’s customers. Any combination of fuels is possible, and most blending systems allow changes in the percentages for the seasonal blends of E85. In theory, a marketer could have straight unleaded and straight ethanol in the two tanks, offering nothing but a variety of ethanol blends in varying strengths.

In the illustration, the blender pump offers E30 and E85 in addition to unleaded and E10. Separate hoses for the “flex-fuels” (blends of ethanol exceeding 10% that are designed for flex-fuel vehicles (FFVs)) and for the standard fuels ensure that a customer who purchases a small quantity of a standard fuel would not receive a higher ethanol blend if there was residual fuel left in the hose from a previous sale. Ethanol blends exceeding 10% are clearly labeled “for flex-fuel vehicles only.”

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #21
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
So if my bike requires premium fuel and I put a car tire on the back running a semi-synthetic blend of oil what octane rating should I use assuming its the eve of the Summer Solstice on a Tuesday??

Old 06-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #22
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Your biggest problem running premium is how well the station manages it's fuel. Some of the independently owned joints will fill the premium when prices are "low" and then it sits in the tank for quite a while.

Also
The valves are at the top, so you're really not adding much to what's left in the hose. Blenders don't matter.
ts3doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #23
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
So if my bike requires premium fuel and I put a car tire on the back running a semi-synthetic blend of oil what octane rating should I use assuming its the eve of the Summer Solstice on a Tuesday??

Sunoco 260 if it's before 9 PM. After that use Gulf Crest.

Benesesso screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 06:13 AM
Benesesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #24
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:

If your bike has a guardian bell, it is OK to use 87 octane but add some Marvel Mystery Oil in case you have to lay 'er down......

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Not true. Stations usually only have 2 grades of fuel in the ground. Fuel is pumped from both in ground tanks and mixed to the proper octane in the pump and then dispensed thru the hose.

http://ethanolpumps.org/how-they-work.html
Two or three, it is the same effect.

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 07:41 AM   #26
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post
Just let the first 1/2 gal. go on the ground, then fill up. Don't screw around, you want straight 91 or not?

Looks kind of like a Top Fuel piston after a bit too much nitro.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #27
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser View Post
Don't want to get into "You're too lean if you're pinging in 87 octane", etc.
Assuming you need to run premium in your bike...
If you have a two or three gallon tank, and you select 91 octane at the pump, how much 91 do you actually get once whatever is left over from the last dude's 87 octane fillup, which is left in the hose, gets pushed into your tank? A gallon?

All the bikes I've owned for the past 25 years all require 91 or above. Never had an issue in all those years with filling up and having an issue due to lower octane. Ride all over the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic region. Do not know how it is in other parts of the country.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Benduro OP
I<3CrayCrayVaJayJay

Oddometer: 1,348
Wink lol

Quote:

Offcamber for the win!!
One question: are your pants outside your boots, or tucked in?
Ok, I lied. Second question: do you wave to everyone, or just the scooteristas, scurvey-dogs, power-rangers, squids, hacks, cacks, and quacks..... Or just the darksiders?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:49 AM   #29
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Unless you drive them hard it should work the other way around. The higher octane gas just prevents pinging in high performance motors.

http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-m...ctaneFacts.pdf

Jim
I got to "high octane burns slower" and realized it was written by a art history intern. There is some relevant info in there but I cant take it seriously after that.

My car gets 10% better fuel mileage on 92-94 than 87 (it calls for premium only). The ECU retarding timing from knock sensor input is likely the culprit for the mileage.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #30
Veteran Noob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:

Depends, do fill your tires with Nitrogen?