Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #31
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I think one needs to worry more about the % of ethanol, especially if one has a Ducati or mid-2000 MotoGuzzi with their plastic tanks.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM   #32
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
The three grades of gas are all plumbed to the individual pumps.
{Meh, 205'd}

That is not correct. They have a Premium tank and a Regular tank and the two are mixed at the pump to make Mid-Grade.

Like some of the Sunoco stations still have pumps that sell about a half dozen grades. They are not separately piped to a half dozen separate tanks.

I was talking about this very subject with the attendant at a local Mobil. They'd run out of Regular (the tanker truck was on its way) and he had taped little paper notes to the pumps saying "No Regular". Then when I was there he was changing them because after he got them all up, he realized they couldn't pump Mid-Grade either.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #33
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I wouldn't own a bike that required premium
I would. I ride for sport, not to save money. On a bike weight is important, so I'd like to get higher power out of a smaller, lighter engine. My 990 wants Premium, so did my Aprilia. Though I have a DRZ that is a lower perf workhorse and that doesn't mind Regular.

By tuning for and then running Premium only, you can the same power out of a smaller displacement, lighter engine and get better gas mileage. Or, more power out of the same displacement & weight. One of cars takes premium. It can be run on Regular but timing & boost are retarded. Current market price differential between Regular and Premium is around 10% around here, and that's about the difference in fuel mileage. There is noticeably less power though I don't have a dyno figure.

it can be a false economy to only buy vehicles intended to run on regular, you're just boxing yourself in to lesser performance, or more fuel burned to get the same performance.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #34
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,148
when fueling my KTM (don't care for the DRZ), i always go to the one local station that has separate hoses for each grade of fuel to avoid the issue.

(i think i'm avoiding the issue anyway...i guess i'm not really sure how the internal of the pump/tanks work.)
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #35
viverrid
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
when fueling my KTM (don't care for the DRZ), i always go to the one local station that has separate hoses for each grade of fuel to avoid the issue.

(i think i'm avoiding the issue anyway...i guess i'm not really sure how the internal of the pump/tanks work.)
You probably are avoiding it. The pump blends from the tanks to make Mid-grade, but if there are separate hoses, each hose only ever gets its own grade in it
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
Rubiconnn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I put 91 in as a habit. My old VW Bug's distributor would turn itself. Having 91 octane would just give me that many more mm of turning to fix it before my engine would explode.
Rubiconnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #37
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
I got to "high octane burns slower" and realized it was written by a art history intern. There is some relevant info in there but I cant take it seriously after that.

My car gets 10% better fuel mileage on 92-94 than 87 (it calls for premium only). The ECU retarding timing from knock sensor input is likely the culprit for the mileage.
Point is, if you are riding gently it wouldn't knock, the timing wouldn't retard, and you would actually get better mileage.

I wish we had 94 octane near me. Then again, I run 87 in my GS with better mileage than most. I must be slow!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
{Meh, 205'd}

That is not correct. They have a Premium tank and a Regular tank and the two are mixed at the pump to make Mid-Grade.

Like some of the Sunoco stations still have pumps that sell about a half dozen grades. They are not separately piped to a half dozen separate tanks.

I was talking about this very subject with the attendant at a local Mobil. They'd run out of Regular (the tanker truck was on its way) and he had taped little paper notes to the pumps saying "No Regular". Then when I was there he was changing them because after he got them all up, he realized they couldn't pump Mid-Grade either.
2-3, doesn't matter, same results as I mentioned.

Jim
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #39
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Gmoney* View Post
I will do my best to remain silent now,
and let the men with white collars,
finish the sermon.
Sorry I only preach on Sundays and then only when I am getting paid.

revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #40
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
I usually use high octane in my 09 GS. So what you are saying, JimVonBaden, is it alright to run 87 octane? I appreciate your knowledge and advice. A friend swears his bike runs fine on low octane but I always tell him he should use high octane. Am I wrong??
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #41
ktmgeoff
Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
{Meh, 205'd}

Jeez, 6 grades to choose from must be fun. In Australia you can go to most run down station and if they have 3 grades they will each have their own nozzle and 3 tanks. I don't think we even HAVE 87 , it's 91, 95 & 98.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #42
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmgeoff View Post
Jeez, 6 grades to choose from must be fun. In Australia you can go to most run down station and if they have 3 grades they will each have their own nozzle and 3 tanks. I don't think we even HAVE 87 , it's 91, 95 & 98.
It's just different rating systems.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #43
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
I usually use high octane in my 09 GS. So what you are saying, JimVonBaden, is it alright to run 87 octane? I appreciate your knowledge and advice. A friend swears his bike runs fine on low octane but I always tell him he should use high octane. Am I wrong??
In general 87 works fine. IF you are riding the bike really hard, dogging it by severe short shifting, or low speed riding in the heat or off road, you "may" benefit from higher octane. But for general riding, commuting on the freeway and just tooling around, you will be fine.

Jim
Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #44
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,337
Last month a bought a 2004 650. I won't say which

But I started using premium in it. In my first bike, a 1980 XL250, I put in regular which was 87-89. I've been reading a lot about ethanol in gas on here and other froums and when I got the new bike I started making it a habit to put 92 in it every fill up. Not concerned with extra MPG just wanna take care of the inside of the bike. Hopefully this is helping on a way??

I feel fortunate as well the gas station closest to my house is a mom and pop store and doesn't have ethanol in their gas.

The other day I was downtown and pulled in to fill up at a Chevron. Parked, started getting off the bike and noticed their sticker on the gas pump, "contains up to 10% ethanol"

I road a few miles back to my usual fill up station
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:14 AM   #45
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
In general 87 works fine. IF you are riding the bike really hard, dogging it by severe short shifting, or low speed riding in the heat or off road, you "may" benefit from higher octane. But for general riding, commuting on the freeway and just tooling around, you will be fine.

Jim
for me:
my car- 93/94 (ran 87 until 93 proved cheaper/mile)
her car -87
street bike - 87
4t dirt bikes 93/94 (some of mine run great on 87, some detonate on 91 so its easier to have one can of 93/94)
2t dirt bikes 93/94 (det on lower grades)
cr500 50/50 93/110LL (detonates badly on straight 93/94)
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote