Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #76
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I dunno what to tell you, but my Subie Turbo gets about 23mpg on 87 and about 25 on 93. That is cruising sea level at 70mph.

That's because you're supposed to use premium in that engine...it's built for it. Using a lower octane fuel makes the ECU retard ignition timing so you don't hole a piston. That's where the lower fuel economy comes from.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #77
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I run 91 octane even though my bike only requires 89, because many stations in my area offer ethanol free premium. I will pay the extra 10 cents per gallon to get non ethanol fuel.

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #78
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorPoor View Post
I run 91 octane even though my bike only requires 89, because many stations in my area offer ethanol free premium. I will pay the extra 10 cents per gallon to get non ethanol fuel.
Premium is 25 to 45 cents per gallon more than regular in every State I've been in lately. Edit - You're comparing to 89 but I still think I see 91 always at least 15 higher.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #79
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Premium is 25 to 45 cents per gallon more than regular in every State I've been in lately. Edit - You're comparing to 89 but I still think I see 91 always at least 15 higher.
That is what, seventy-five cents a tank for a bike?

I usually use premium on my Triumphs because the medium is always old enough that it sets the ping sensor on my 675.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #80
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
That is what, seventy-five cents a tank for a bike?

I usually use premium on my Triumphs because the medium is always old enough that it sets the ping sensor on my 675.
If you have a 2 gallon tank! (Regular to premium)

Many of us have 5 gallon tanks, and ride many thousands of miles a year. It adds up fast, with no benefit (in my case) to adding premium.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #81
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
If you have a 2 gallon tank! (Regular to premium)

Many of us have 5 gallon tanks, and ride many thousands of miles a year. It adds up fast, with no benefit (in my case) to adding premium.

Jim
Yeah, in this case I was talking about going plus to premium, I haven't had a bike that could run 87 octane in a decade, they both want 89. I really don't think it matters we the Speed Triple I've had to run that bike with regular a couple times because that is all there was. The Daytona DOES NOT like even old plus, it'll trip the CEL with the knock sensor, that bike has never seen regular.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 AM   #82
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
I've usually stick out premium on the speed triple, the plus here has ethanol in it. Though it hasn't pinged the times I've ran regular.
ts3doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #83
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,928
pe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3doug View Post
I've usually stick out premium on the speed triple, the plus here has ethanol in it. Though it hasn't pinged the times I've ran regular.
Have you tested the premium to verify ethanol content?
Remember the sticker on the pump says up to 10% ethanol content.
I've run five test on the premiums in my area (Robbinsville,NC) and find no ethanol. All our fuel is probably coming from the same tank farm.
It all comes in the same pipeline regardless of the brand on the pump.
Oh and there is no mom and pop refineries.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #84
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Premium and regular don't usually have ethanol here, except for shell stations. My previous job was fixing gas dispensers, so I also know which stations to avoid.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #85
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
...I've run five test on the premiums in my area (Robbinsville,NC) and find no ethanol. All our fuel is probably coming from the same tank farm.
It all comes in the same pipeline regardless of the brand on the pump.
Oh and there is no mom and pop refineries....
That is a neat finding. Do you think it is due to the age of the fuel in the tank, as in how long it had sat in the ground, since most vehicles run regular?

As to your bit about all gas is equal, the gasoline is all the same from the refinery and is destined for many gas stations under many brands. But you do have to consider additive packages that are specific to brand. ( I can hear the flaming coming) For example, Shell has its nitrogen enriched fuel; the hydrocarbons and such that makes the bang is the same as that from a Citgo, but the shell has other ingredients that make it better, purportedly.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #86
Treedguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,012
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...mtbe_lead.html

There.
Treedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #87
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
That is a neat finding. Do you think it is due to the age of the fuel in the tank, as in how long it had sat in the ground, since most vehicles run regular?

As to your bit about all gas is equal, the gasoline is all the same from the refinery and is destined for many gas stations under many brands. But you do have to consider additive packages that are specific to brand. ( I can hear the flaming coming) For example, Shell has its nitrogen enriched fuel; the hydrocarbons and such that makes the bang is the same as that from a Citgo, but the shell has other ingredients that make it better, purportedly.
There was no ethanol in the premium fuels that I tested. One of the places that I tested has small tanks and both his grades sell at the same rate since he gets lots of motorcycles fueling up. Since I tested his fuels and found the premium ethanol free he put up a sign stating that and his premium sales now exceeded his regular sales. He now does his own testing to insure that he has ethanol free premium.
Analyse the Shell gasoline and prove that it is better. Who reported that the nitrogen Shell fuel is better? I have no ideal if it is better than any other premium.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #88
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Shit

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Unlea...217435211.html
Old 07-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #89
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
There was no ethanol in the premium fuels that I tested. One of the places that I tested has small tanks and both his grades sell at the same rate since he gets lots of motorcycles fueling up. Since I tested his fuels and found the premium ethanol free he put up a sign stating that and his premium sales now exceeded his regular sales. He now does his own testing to insure that he has ethanol free premium.
Analyse the Shell gasoline and prove that it is better. Who reported that the nitrogen Shell fuel is better? I have no ideal if it is better than any other premium.
Sorry, I worded my point poorly. I was just relating a well-marketed gas additive as an example (notice, I used "purportedly", not reportedly) My intent was to say, gasoline all comes from a limited number of refineries, and the key volatile components are, at a basic level, the same. However, the brand under which a particular tanker of gasoline is to be sold will determine the additional ingredients that are mixed into the tanker at fill-up. One suite of chemicals are for Brand 1, another for Brand A.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 AM   #90
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Bad news from me is that the last batch of premium coming into my area (Robbinsville,NC) has exactly 10% ethanol in it.

My buddy had to put his " no ethanol premium" sign away.