ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
LJM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Yamaha ST pre buy questions

My 2009 BMW rt sold so I'm ready to buy ! I'm looking at a 14 or 2015 Prob es model. One thing I noticed on the ST are the wide bars the spec sheet says there 38.5" which is about 3" wider than the RT. I split lanes a lot & sometimes barely make it with the RT. I'm thinking I can easily cut or replace bars & loose 1.5" each side but I'm wondering what the width of the rear is with the Yamaha side bags on it ? I'm hoping Yamaha didnt put those wide bars on there to overcome a hard turning bike. Also does the ES come with cruise control & heated grips or are those options ? I could live without the ES but I was told the standard model options are heated grips & cruise control so for another $1,100 it makes sense to me to buy an ES if it comes with those options.
Thanks in advance
LJM
LJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Scoobynut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Can't really comment on your lane-splitting dilemmas, but for a big girl, the ST maneuvers very easily at slow speeds, so the wider bars make sense for a bike that might see some off road use.

Cruise control is standard on both models. Heated grips optional on base model.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,992
I'd look for a left over standard 14 for a great price and then upgrade the suspension with top shelf components. You'll have a better bike for less $ than a 15 ES.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
murdock2002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJM View Post
My 2009 BMW rt sold so I'm ready to buy ! I'm looking at a 14 or 2015 Prob es model. One thing I noticed on the ST are the wide bars the spec sheet says there 38.5" which is about 3" wider than the RT. I split lanes a lot & sometimes barely make it with the RT. I'm thinking I can easily cut or replace bars & loose 1.5" each side but I'm wondering what the width of the rear is with the Yamaha side bags on it ? I'm hoping Yamaha didnt put those wide bars on there to overcome a hard turning bike. Also does the ES come with cruise control & heated grips or are those options ? I could live without the ES but I was told the standard model options are heated grips & cruise control so for another $1,100 it makes sense to me to buy an ES if it comes with those options.
Thanks in advance
LJM
LJM, just of curiosity, why are you thinking about going from a RT to a S10, instead of a r1200gs?
Old 03-01-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
LJM OP
Adventurer

Thanks, so the extra $1,100 for ES to me would be worth it & Prob pay off in re-sale value down the road.

I'm kinda in same camp on suspension & was thinking of a standard at low price & upgrade with aftermarket suspension if needed but pretty much what I'm seeing no matter what year the price difference is 1,100 in other words I've been quoted 15k out the door on a 2014 ES and 13,900 out the door on the standard. I saw a brand new 2013 at 11,300 out the door & that had me thinking but IMO the changes Yamaha made in 2014 bike is worth the extra $

Anybody out there have the factory side bags on and tell me how wide they are would be great. I'm hoping it will be few inches less then the bars
Thanks
Old 03-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
LJM OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock2002 View Post
LJM, just of curiosity, why are you thinking about going from a RT to a S10, instead of a r1200gs?
I've had it with BMW there lack quaitly & cost of repairs. The final drive problems cost over 2k, get a clutch put in over a grand, there EWS anti-theft system leaving guys stranded. Mine went out & I had to replace bmsk computer, ignition switch, re-key all locks, just the parts for that was over 2k, faulty fuel strips. Very sensitive electronics I can name off some more but why bother. All well documented problems on 2005-2010 bikes. But the bmw when running right can't be beat I've owned a few including a GS. In spite of all the problems I was looking at used 2012/2013 BMW but then I saw I could get a brand new more reliable Yamaha for less then a used BMW. Test rode the ST and was impressed with the bike. The 2010-2013 bmws have reliability problems. I test rode the new BMW wet head bike and was not impressed at all.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,049
Quote:
Thanks, so the extra $1,100 for ES to me would be worth it & Prob pay off in re-sale value down the road.

I'm kinda in same camp on suspension & was thinking of a standard at low price & upgrade with aftermarket suspension if needed but pretty much what I'm seeing no matter what year the price difference is 1,100 in other words I've been quoted 15k out the door on a 2014 ES and 13,900 out the door on the standard. I saw a brand new 2013 at 11,300 out the door & that had me thinking but IMO the changes Yamaha made in 2014 bike is worth the extra $

Anybody out there have the factory side bags on and tell me how wide they are would be great. I'm hoping it will be few inches less then the bars
Thanks
The bags are just under 35 inches. The OEM handguards are pretty close to 38 inches.
They come in a little at the bar end.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #8
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I've called around and can find no deals on 2014's either. I found a 2013 for $9800 but the guy is such a dick, I wouldn't buy a wheelbarrow from him. For the 2014 prices I see, I figured a 2015 is a better choice. I really like the '15 colors too. I'm not thinking resale is this bikes strong suit but I intend to hang onto this bike until it doesn't matter.
I was torn between the S10 and the F800gsa. I see more value in the S10 and although the Beemer is a great bike, comfort and reliability swayed me over to the Yamaha.
We'll see what deal can be had.
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #9
LJM OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The bags are just under 35 inches. The OEM handguards are pretty close to 38 inches.
They come in a little at the bar end.
Thanks for the info. Glad to here the bags are less then 36" now either a hack saw or new bars & I won't be scrapping paint off those pour cars stuck in rush hour traffic !
Old 03-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #10
Ostion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Where are you located?
I suggest you get the ES, especially coming off a BMW, you won't feel stepping down at all.
Ostion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:33 PM   #11
TheMuffinMan54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Glad to here the bags are less then 36" now either a hack saw or new bars & I won't be scrapping paint off those pour cars stuck in rush hour traffic !
I'd go with new bars. I know Yamaha moved the bar mounts a little further back on the 14 but I don't think they changed the bar bend...stock ones have too much sweep, you end up with a cramp between your shoulder blades because of it. Protaper Raptors are the ticket: 1" taller, a couple inches narrower, and best of all, straighter.
TheMuffinMan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
LJM OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostion View Post
Where are you located?
I suggest you get the ES, especially coming off a BMW, you won't feel stepping down at all.
Northern CA about 40 miles North of SF. Coming off the RT which is a fantastic road bike I was worried about giving up the ability to ride a 500 mile day, get off the bike & feel great. I think its always a compromise with motorcycles so I may be giviing up one of the best mile eating bikes out there but I'm getting a bike where I won't be worriying about the next costly repair or is this the trip that the bike will fail and leave me stranded. And my real long road trips are few and far between so I think it will be a step up for me ! I rode a 2013 ST I can't wait to an ES & see how the softer setting will feel on the highway.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #13
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Northern CA about 40 miles North of SF. Coming off the RT which is a fantastic road bike I was worried about giving up the ability to ride a 500 mile day, get off the bike & feel great.
There is a $20 seat mod - lower back bumpers - that makes the OEM seat all-day comfortable. Here is a quote from a guy who did it on the S10 forum

"I did this exact mod very early on, and it's supremely comfortable. As I recall, I did it before I did my SS1000, and after 17.5 hours in the saddle, I could have gone a few hundred more!"
Old 03-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
HeliMark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I went from an RT to the S10, and split traffic in the L.A. area. It is doable with the bars, just need to be more careful. The grips are over most mirrors instead of under. After a while, almost as fast. But nowhere near a crotch rocket.
HeliMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
Lowcountry25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Northern CA about 40 miles North of SF. Coming off the RT which is a fantastic road bike I was worried about giving up the ability to ride a 500 mile day, get off the bike & feel great. I think its always a compromise with motorcycles so I may be giviing up one of the best mile eating bikes out there but I'm getting a bike where I won't be worriying about the next costly repair or is this the trip that the bike will fail and leave me stranded. And my real long road trips are few and far between so I think it will be a step up for me ! I rode a 2013 ST I can't wait to an ES & see how the softer setting will feel on the highway.

I think you'll find that the ST eats up miles with the best of them. This is my 12th bike, and it eats miles better than any of the others I've ever owned. It is so comfortable and versatile that I can't see myself selling this bike for a long, long time. It just does everything I need it to do.