User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
arctic954 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Just installed VStrom650 'Soupy Raising Links'

well.... was considering dropping the front forks on my DL650 to quicken the bikes turning a tad, but realized I could raise the rear instead and gain a little more ground clearance. (mainly so I don't have to worry about scraping my center stand while cornering in TN. Deals Gap....and occasional light off-road)

I want to preach to the world.....that I first ordered a $35 pair of raising links from BURKHART cycle. well......a month and half later. nothing after repeated attempts to contact them.....phone calls, emails....lol, even called his home phone.

Anyhow....I continued my search, and decided to take a loss with Burkhart. I ran into a product on Soupy's Performance. They make an adjustable raising link...... they showed up in the mail today, and they are amazingly stout...steel eyebolts, heavy duty lock nuts, etc.. Im impressed. Even better, I know its not chinese CNC made from junk metal.

The rising links gave me a perfect 15mm rise, preset as shipped. I tightened down the lock nuts with some loc-tite, and done. (suzuki dog-bone nuts are at 56.5 ft lbs per service manual) Granted, the lock nuts will be part of my routine 'pre-flight' checklist, I have no worries as to their durability in construction.

new verses old. tons of adjustably left. in both directions.....raise, and lower.

arctic954 screwed with this post 02-04-2014 at 07:34 PM
arctic954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 AM   #2
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,338
15mm shorter links = raising the back end +15mm?

I am guessing this mod = approx. 8mm more leg room to the pedals (splitting the difference).

I like the adjustability . . . Found their website. Did you get the +2" to -2"?
How much was shipping?

http://soupysperformance.com/suzuki/...all-years.html

These will fit all years DL650.

Turnbuckle style raising links are infinitely adjustable, just the same as our lowering links. They are available for all of the same bikes listed with the double style lowering links. We can build them to your ride height requirements with a 4" total adjustment. When raising, most people prefer a +2" to -2" adjustment range. Include in the comments area of your order what ride height you would like. We always have everything in stock for these.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
mcmann - no change in distance to the pegs - the pegs attach to the frame - not the swing arm. No change in relationship of seat to pegs. Shorter links raise the suspension, longer shorten it a bit due to the geometry of the suspension linkage. The bike will sit taller in relation to the rear axle or tire - which can benefit handling and improve ground clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
15mm shorter links = raising the back end +15mm?

I am guessing this mod = approx. 8mm more leg room to the pedals (splitting the difference).

I like the adjustability . . . Found their website. Did you get the +2" to -2"?
How much was shipping?

http://soupysperformance.com/suzuki/...all-years.html

These will fit all years DL650.

Turnbuckle style raising links are infinitely adjustable, just the same as our lowering links. They are available for all of the same bikes listed with the double style lowering links. We can build them to your ride height requirements with a 4" total adjustment. When raising, most people prefer a +2" to -2" adjustment range. Include in the comments area of your order what ride height you would like. We always have everything in stock for these.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,523
Thumb resurrect for questions

mcmann, et al
- are these hardy? uber-strong?
- may be a dumb question, but how do you get the EXACTLY the same length after they are installed on the bike?
- has someone derived a table that says "X mm adjustment translates to Y result in vertical-line height" ?

thanky for yer expertise
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
My guess is that you'll have to measure them, unless you start with them both closed up and then count an equal amount of turns for each. That's the way you adjust the shocks on a HD softail as you turn each shock separately. So you need to have a start point where both are the same length.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:09 AM   #6
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

can these take the punishment?

what length would correspond to a 1" drop in the vertical?

another way to get there: anyone know the bone length, center hole to center hole, of the Koubalinks V-strom-2? that one supposedly takes the vertical down by 1 1/8th"
Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 317
They come to you preset. You install them and then if needed you adjust them both using the same number of turns and then use red locktight to set them. When I installed mine, I told Soupy's what difference I wanted (to drop the rear one inch) and he shipped them to me with that already dialed in. I think I am going to raise the rear of my Wee-Strom up a half inch from where it is now. With these, I don't have to buy new links, just adjust and re-locktight them.

I have had mine for about two years. They have held up well but I don't ride single tracks. Just gravel roads when I can find them.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #8
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

sounds good.
i read elsewhere that 150mm draws down the vertical just a tad over 1".

at your original setting, how's the kickstand with a full load?

I can't believe i'm even having this discussion :) . in the past I had [still have] extra long forks made and ran my K4 jacked up nearly 2" both ends. that's tall... that plus the wide seat plus loose/uncertain terrain underfoot had me stretched despite my 35" inseam.
but the wife likes to ride a little more now than in the past and it will be much easier to handle 2-up after a drop
z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFromKentucky View Post
They come to you preset. You install them and then if needed you adjust them both using the same number of turns and then use red locktight to set them. When I installed mine, I told Soupy's what difference I wanted (to drop the rear one inch) and he shipped them to me with that already dialed in. I think I am going to raise the rear of my Wee-Strom up a half inch from where it is now. With these, I don't have to buy new links, just adjust and re-locktight them.

I have had mine for about two years. They have held up well but I don't ride single tracks. Just gravel roads when I can find them.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
sounds good.
i read elsewhere that 150mm draws down the vertical just a tad over 1".

at your original setting, how's the kickstand with a full load?
A little scary sometimes, the bike is almost straight up with maybe a 15% lean on flat pavement unloaded. Put a full camping load on and I have to be careful when I get off (let the sag unloaded give me some lean). I really need to invest in one of Soupy's adjustable side stands. I haven't yet because I am hesitant to put more money into the bike as I am considering selling it (I am not riding it as much as I used to due to medical problems and age).