Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #166
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
That is a nice set of curves. But of course its more than that, its throttle response, sensitivity etc that are more important especially to me, from a closed throttle. Right now, I'm happy with how it is. Did 5 kms in yesterday's ride of 300 km that was a rocky hill, up and down. It needed a sensitive touch and some clutch work to make it straightforward. Snatchy and unpredictable response from closed throttle complicates things. Not saying it is with the reflash, but I'd like to try before I'd buy

This is the curves from my gone 1400GTR. About as flat as they get, but it still didn't come clean all the time off a closed throttle.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #167
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,794
reflash

I might put a post on the Oz XTZ1200 thread to see who has done the reflash.. I would like to try before I buy also.. or at least get some Australian guys input..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:52 PM   #168
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
That is a nice set of curves. But of course its more than that, its throttle response, sensitivity etc that are more important especially to me, from a closed throttle.
S mode is very snappy with instant response. T mode remains similar to preflash in that it's linear and very tractable. I use it on slippery stuff otherwise it's S mode all the time.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #169
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Re-flash actually MORE predictable, responsive and smooth. Right hand now "connected" directly to engine. Do the CJM (mini fuse) and ride. Pull the mini fuse and ride. The difference between stock, CJM and re-flash is good, better and great!

NO downside to re-flash that I have seen. Best S10 mod for sure.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #170
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

One of the concerns that I have with a reflash is that AFAIK they have all been developed in the US. I haven't investigated either though, so its just an awareness that makes me think that this is the case. Historically, US carb jetting specs are interesting and sometimes a good base, but are invariably rich here in Oz. Why that is, I don't know, but its been mine and others' experience that it is so.

A reflash with a PC is likely the solution to that issue. And I still want to try before I buy. So far, the CJM I find a negative rather than a positive, but, as ever, YMMV Smooth transition from a closed throttle is very important to me. I have a CJM switch on mine as described elsewhere here, so easy to manipulate, but I just leave it off now. Banging the throttle open and relying on TC isn't how I ride, maybe it should be?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:02 PM   #171
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,067
I'm in Japan and my bike is South African spec but the flash worked great for me. Of course, ECU Unleashed knows the bike's history as the shop doing the flash sends them the bike's frame number and ECU number when requesting it.

As far as TC goes, I usually have mine off unless the roads are wet and pretty much don't feel the Anakee 3s struggling for traction. The Hidenaus were a different story though.
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #172
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Oddometer: 115
BergDonk's XT1200Z

Nice write up. Good to hear your experiences with the suspension as I am soon to embark on a similar thing except I'd rather not go through too much to and fro.
I had FP do the motor in my PE400 in about 1980? It was a bit of a weapon, I don't think I've spoken to him since, good guy.
My friend at ADVmoto recommends Teknik, the person I have actually used is Terry Hay, he did my GSXR and a bit on my RSV4.
I am amazed at the mileage I hear people get from their tyres, I know the Ten could have better control of the rear wheel but am uncertain as to how much better my tyre wear may be. I can get about 1500 klm from a Kenda Big block and maybe 2,500 klm from a TKC 80. My preferred setup ATM is Big Block front Conti rear.
Cheers
Old 01-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #173
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'm told FP used to be known as Frank the File He did/does have a reputation for porting 2 strokes to make them FAST.

If you do use Biketek for your suspension, tell Frank I sent you. He is a good guy that wants your setup to be right, not just sell you stuff. I may have mentioned this, not sure, but in the 10+ years I've known and been working with him he's sold a bare handful of Gold Valves. He prides himself in being able to mostly get a result with tuning/modding what's there from the factory to save the customer money rather than buying whizbang 'valves' that aren't much different to stock. He will use and recommend them like in DR650s, but its rare. He doesn't 'blow his own horn' but he really is very very good. I understand that he is contracted to Yamaha again this year for road racing, and maybe some off road too, TBC.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM   #174
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Quote:
I'm told FP used to be known as Frank the File He did/does have a reputation for porting 2 strokes to make them FAST.

If you do use Biketek for your suspension, tell Frank I sent you. He is a good guy that wants your setup to be right, not just sell you stuff. I may have mentioned this, not sure, but in the 10+ years I've known and been working with him he's sold a bare handful of Gold Valves. He prides himself in being able to mostly get a result with tuning/modding what's there from the factory to save the customer money rather than buying whizbang 'valves' that aren't much different to stock. He will use and recommend them like in DR650s, but its rare. He doesn't 'blow his own horn' but he really is very very good. I understand that he is contracted to Yamaha again this year for road racing, and maybe some off road too, TBC.
Thank you!
http://s1224.photobucket.com/user/ro...?sort=3&page=1
These are a really underrated machine, bought mine as a sled for me and the boss, still fills that role for weekend escapes with her but also is enabling an enthusiastic foray into adventure, dirt roads = no cops. No cops = FUN!! I wear out lots of tyres, bend rims (a lot), twist forks, vibrate instrument panel to destruction (warrantee) bottom forks and shock, fall down in the sand in the single track, get onto downhills where stopping is not an option and ABS causes an INCREASE in speed and get onto uphills that mates (current and former enduro gods) on 'bergs fail to negotiate....
WRT suspension for the bitumen I have preload Maxed out to try to save the foot pegs, side stand and centre stand. I weigh a massive 75 kg. On the dirt (if I remember) I soften prelaod and clickers, have it all written down, its pretty good. If anything it lets me down most on the bitumen while hunting sports bikes. So much infantile fun, the looks are worth bottling.
Off to the TB classic next Friday all dirt from Peats Ridge to Taree, then 12 day outback ADV trip this easter.

PS: I never use the TC now off-road and generally its off on-road. On the tracks it WILL NOT get up some of the hills we frequent, perhaps better rear damper will assist in this regard, it spins and slows and spins and slows until you stop going forward. Only option is to go back down turn off TC get a run up and go like stink. ABS is rarely an issue, some stupid steep descents notwithstanding.
PPS: Sometimes I feel too old for this (53), many of the others guys are younger and fitter than me

Robbo60 screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 02:55 PM
Robbo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #175
Outback Rambler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Just passing through and noticed your reference to FP at Biketek. I'd recommend him as well. I haven't spoken to Frank for a couple of months but he probably cringes when I ring for advice....regardless it's never a drama. He's worked on 2 of my problem bikes and he's done a top job both times. As others have mentioned he's not interested in ripping you off.....unlike some suspension tuners!

Unfortunately for Frank I'm contemplating an S10 purchase later in the year and thanks to BergDonk blazing the way with his machine Frank will be a ball of knowledge and should have my bike sorted in no time!

Cheers,

Tony
Outback Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 PM   #176
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Frank was a mate of Tony Kirby, aka TK, latterly of Sidetrack Magazine which is fondly remembered by many. I attended the three to date TK Memorial Rides. TK also founded the DSMRA, of which I'm an early and ongoing member. They did a deal one year that involved a subscription prize of a weekend at TK's Taree property with FP sorting your suspension if you won.

My FE501 was due, with leaking seals both ends, so I resubscribed, but didn't win of course. Part of the blurb was that Frank would come to you, so I called him up with the result being I got another 11 guys here from DSMRA and CORC, my local MX/Enduro Club, and Frank came down for a 3 day weekend and worked his ass off.

2 days flat out in the shed and testing on my facility, and then a day out at the local MX track. We were all impressed, being works riders for a day or more.

Ross McWatters, aka Dr Ross, had previously played with my 501. Stock, its suspension and brakes were a major improvement over my IT490. But then you start to push and use it, and find that it could be better. I had a few goes at revalving myself but it was too much of a black art for me. Dr Ross got the springs right, and improved the valving.

Then Frank had a go and turned it into a dream ride, which it still is.

Since then, Frank has visited here up to 6 weekends a year where I facilitate and Frank does his magic. He charges less here because he gets more done in a day, and we've done over 300 bikes now in my shed.

The final testing and clicker tuning is what makes it so good, its not left at the base settings it comes out of the workshop, but we watch, click, coach, and very rarely, dissassemble and redo it to get it just so.

My Bergs became his testbeds for WP forks and PDS tails and my bikes have fantastic suspension, I'm spoilt. I helped him refine the work he does on DR650s, and then challenged him to get the Ohlins and WP forks working that I subsequently fitted. Its a dream ride too now. My FE650 floats over snot too, and now so does my S10

If you can get a few guys together, and a shed, he'll come to you too.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:21 AM   #177
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

OK BergDonk, you got me hook line and sinker. To be frank I was going to go with Teknik as they seemed to have had good results with the XT1200 but your excellent recommendation and my happy memories of Frank's work has me on his side. That PE400 was actually too much bike for me, 6'2" but a weed.
I very much doubt I will be as sensitive as you or many others to the nuances of the results but I do know the XT hates corrugations and it skips sideways a lot on sub 45 klm/h advised bitumen corners. Plus perhaps I might get more mileage from tyres and maybe less rim dents. Mine has about 30,000 klm and I'm on first name terms with David Alderton I've been to have them straightened so many times, I do try to avoid the biggest hits, I don't just barge up rocky hills I pick the way as best I can but I dent rims and get flat tyres and no I don't run low pressures just road pressures as I'm too lazy to stop and fiddle.

Am I right in guessing you conduct off-road rider training?
I am very keen do do some, a few of my mates are moving away from road bikes to ADV, some are tentative on dirt, some are disgustingly skilful but they or most of them would be very happy for some training. We all want to be better, some of them are ex racers and ex state or national champions and got there by being open to and making use of guidance. Being good riders as some of them are does not make them teachers.....
2 of them are getting KTM 1190's soon. Several of us are keen to do some APC and/or the RideADV.com.au rides.
If you do carry out ADV training, realistically I think I can get from 6 to 12 people all with ADV bikes and there are a few more sitting on the fence, once they get the timber out of their arse I think they'll be on ADV as well. We are in Sydney, happy to travel.
Cheers.

Quote:
Frank was a mate of Tony Kirby, aka TK, latterly of Sidetrack Magazine which is fondly remembered by many. I attended the three to date TK Memorial Rides. TK also founded the DSMRA, of which I'm an early and ongoing member. They did a deal one year that involved a subscription prize of a weekend at TK's Taree property with FP sorting your suspension if you won.

My FE501 was due, with leaking seals both ends, so I resubscribed, but didn't win of course. Part of the blurb was that Frank would come to you, so I called him up with the result being I got another 11 guys here from DSMRA and CORC, my local MX/Enduro Club, and Frank came down for a 3 day weekend and worked his ass off.

2 days flat out in the shed and testing on my facility, and then a day out at the local MX track. We were all impressed, being works riders for a day or more.

Ross McWatters, aka Dr Ross, had previously played with my 501. Stock, its suspension and brakes were a major improvement over my IT490. But then you start to push and use it, and find that it could be better. I had a few goes at revalving myself but it was too much of a black art for me. Dr Ross got the springs right, and improved the valving.

Then Frank had a go and turned it into a dream ride, which it still is.

Since then, Frank has visited here up to 6 weekends a year where I facilitate and Frank does his magic. He charges less here because he gets more done in a day, and we've done over 300 bikes now in my shed.

The final testing and clicker tuning is what makes it so good, its not left at the base settings it comes out of the workshop, but we watch, click, coach, and very rarely, dissassemble and redo it to get it just so.

My Bergs became his testbeds for WP forks and PDS tails and my bikes have fantastic suspension, I'm spoilt. I helped him refine the work he does on DR650s, and then challenged him to get the Ohlins and WP forks working that I subsequently fitted. Its a dream ride too now. My FE650 floats over snot too, and now so does my S10

If you can get a few guys together, and a shed, he'll come to you too.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #178
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

My first ride out on my then new FE650 resulted in a dinged rim and me a bit pissed off. Problem sorted after Frank fixed it. Even with 11 psi and rubber marks all over the side of the rims, with UHD tubes, no flats and no dinged rims. Once the compression valving is sorted, it works.

Dialled suspension also means the tyre stays in contact with the terrain. Stock, this is really obvious with the S10 rear end because the TC kicked in for me everytime I'd turn the throttle on a dirt road resulting in a failure to proceed. TC2 made it tolerable and necessary. The Ohlins up back now means TC2 and TCX are optional. This is because the tyre is staying in contact and driving, not spinning. It will also result in improved tyre wear because the tyre isn't breaking traction, spinning up a bit, then regaining traction, at least with the TC turned down.

Another Factor

Years ago, I got a new GPZ1100B2 which my then girlfriend bought us, forcing me to propose to her. We had our 30th last year and she still rides her KLX250/300 and loves the back seat on the S10.

But I digress, the GPZ was my first bike with tubeless tyres. After a major PITA exercise I got a new front tyre fitted. A mate worked as an automotive teacher at the local TAFE and he said to bring it down for balancing. They had an on vehicle balancer and reckoned we could make it work, and the kids would be entertained too.

We strapped the bike down on the centrestand and locked the bars with some rope. Then the balancer drum was jammed up against the front tyre and started up. The wheel spinning, speedo on about 130 kph and the whole bike was vibrating, trying to jump about. The front wheel was oscillating 20-30 mm, up and down on the springs like a pogo stick, and back and forwards with fork flex. Looked scarey.

1/4 oz, or 7g lead fixed it. Ever since then I've balanced my dirt bike wheels too. Improves suspension performance, tyre wear and traction, even if you don't actually feel it.

The S10 does have soft rims. I think I forgot to mention above that when I put the Pirellis on recently that not only did I put some minor scratches on the black rims, touched up with a black marker pen, but also a minor crease from the tyre lever, just levering the tyre. I bashed it straight again with a block of hardwood and lump hammer and a note to self to use rim protectors next time.

Training
I have been casually employed as a trainer with Stay Upright http://www.stayupright.com.au/ since 1982. Initially doing learner stuff in the ACT, then that and track courses in NSW and Vic. I also got a MA MX/Enduro coaching ticket to help get juniors licenced, and then keep their licences as the new systems were introduced.

In recent years I have just been doing some track and most of the dirt courses in the ACT along with the odd coaching session with DSMRA in the ACT too, like at the Kowen weekend in April.

If you want some coaching in Sydney, get on to SU. They are running the ADV course out at Dargle. Usually run by Wayne Clark, yes that Wayne Clark https://www.google.com.au/#q=wayne+c...torcycle+racer

Funnily enough, back in the day, FP used to setup some of Clarkey's bikes too.

BergDonk screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 02:53 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #179
Robbo60
Looking 4 Adventure

Thanks, one of my mates is/was a SU trainer. You may know him, I'll PM you his name. A few of us have already thought about doing the SU course at Dargle. Partly I want to see the tentative guys become more confident and the rest can always learn more, esp when properly critiqued.
Both I and David Alderton (wheel straightening guru) agree the rims are soft.
Cheers.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #180
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Coincidentally, I have just arranged with Frank to come down here for his first 2014 visit on 7/8/9 March to do suspension and setup work. There are a couple, of spots clear. If interested, PM me with an email address and I'll fill you in on how it works.