Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #196
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzajohnson View Post
Hey... We work for the same company. I am a weekend (casual) trainer for Stay Upright in Cairns. We don't have an adventure riding course up here though which is dissapointing, cause I'd love to be training that. We've got an advanced cornering and braking coming up in April at the Mako track in Mareeba.
How about that? I've been casual since 1992. I reckon I've done over 30,000 kms around Philip Island alone in the '90s, plus EC etc. Been doing the Adventure, Trail, MASTERS, Advanced etc in the ACT in that time. Gave the learner stuff away some years back, too much like work.

Maybe you should get onto Max and schedule an off road course up there and see what happens. Did you read my braking discussion a while back in this thread, seems like one or two got some value out of it.

I note that you've been 'preaching' a bit to the DR650 mob of late. Thought about chiming in but you seemed to have it under control.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #197
kezzajohnson
kezza

Oddometer: 1,143
training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
How about that? I've been casual since 1992. I reckon I've done over 30,000 kms around Philip Island alone in the '90s, plus EC etc. Been doing the Adventure, Trail, MASTERS, Advanced etc in the ACT in that time. Gave the learner stuff away some years back, too much like work.

Maybe you should get onto Max and schedule an off road course up there and see what happens. Did you read my braking discussion a while back in this thread, seems like one or two got some value out of it.

I note that you've been 'preaching' a bit to the DR650 mob of late. Thought about chiming in but you seemed to have it under control.
Yes I did read your braking discussion and more recently I recall something about head and eyes up and looking through turns. All familiar stuff.
Likewise, I thought the same in that you seemed to have it under control, in fact I thought to myself " BergDonk really knows what he's talking about and sounds like a rider trainer"

Yes, a bit of discussion about the use of kill switches recently over on the DR650 thread which somehow got into a discussion about river crossings. I have had the occassional rant on previous occasions about other things too. I usually can't help myself when ever someone brings up the subject of riding technique. Some guys just don't like to be told, when all you are doing is suggesting a better way of doing things, as you'd know.

I was working for METAL (Motorcyclist Education Training and Licencing) in Darwin before moving to Cairns 2 years ago. We did our Intermediate and Advanced courses at Hidden Valley Racetrack.

Good Idea, suggesting to Max about off road course up here but I think venue might be an issue. Could be something I could work on though. Sorry for hijacking another of your threads... As you were.

"May the Road Never Rise to Defeat you..."
kezzajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #198
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I then fitted the set of Pirelli Scorpion Rallys I had previously acquired. The stock rear BS Battlewing was at the wear limit indicators at 6,800 kms. The front was/is about 2/3 worn, so its maybe good for 10 k kms? I had been pleasantly surprised at how good the BWs were/are on loose surfaces, but the knobs are better and don't lose any real world grip on sealed surfaces for me. I took SWMBO out for the day on Sun on a mostly tar ride with a few road only mates. I was more than happy with the grip, braking and steering on the Brown Mt descent and elsewhere. On the return, we separated and did the last 40 kms or so on gravel and they just inspired confidence, nice. Now to see how long they last. Next up I have a Mitas E10 and Heidenau K60 in the shed to try. I do suspect that the Scorpion Rally will be my front of choice into the future, just as it is in 21" form on my DR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Would be great to read your opinions after you have finished with the collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave View Post
Pirelli Scorpions are what I have been running for the last 18 months! The rear is fantastic and I get about 8,000k's from it. Similar kays from the front but it does tend to sawtooth up a fair bit.

Been following your progress for a while Berg!
I changed the rear today, off with the Scorpion Rally and on with the Heidenau K60. 3369 kms according to my log book, but its still got <> 1000 kms in it. Its just that I have a ride Fri/Sat, about 1200 kms planned then I am on the track Sun and not a good look with a bald tyre. There'll be enough whinges about how dirty it is

The K60 is a bit of a PITA to fit, but you know that already A black marking pen hides the sins and then a layer of grime and it'll be fine. Balanced up with only 20 g, I like that.

So for me the Scorpion Rally rear is good for maybe 5000 kms, but likely less. I do like the way the it works, good enough grip everywhere, certainly good enough for what i use the S10 for, so no complaints other than they could always last longer!!!!!!!!!.

The front is good too. Starting to scallop a bit, and likely to go to maybe 6000 kms, maybe 7, we'll see.

I scored a pair of Savas from the flea market at the right price, so they'll be tested out, and I still have the E10 front in the shed too.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #199
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I changed the rear today, off with the Scorpion Rally and on with the Heidenau K60. 3369 kms according to my log book, but its still got <> 1000 kms in it. Its just that I have a ride Fri/Sat, about 1200 kms planned then I am on the track Sun and not a good look with a bald tyre. There'll be enough whinges about how dirty it is
I joined up with a few ACT inmates for a 2 day run to Dargo, Fri/Sat, post below courtesy of jdeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Some shots from the weekend Dargo trip:

I'm on the only S10, so you should be able to figure out which one is me.

I mostly rode sweep. Its my preference to either lead or sweep, its how I can stay out of the dust I hate riding when my vision is compromised, and then there is the extra filter maintenance.

I did bail on Blue Rag:
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=b...w=1429&bih=837

Not having been on it before, and about a km or so in, the trail just dropped away and disappeared below. I didn't know what was down there, so decided on discretion. Had a bit of a walk down, but it just got steeper and I still couldn't see how it bottomed out. The S10 is a lump to pull up and steer on steep descents. If the ABS is on, it won't stop, and even when its off, its still tricky to maintain speed and turn it. I was pretty sure I'd get it back up, but not so confident of a controlled descent, and we still had 600 kms to go for the day. On my singles, no worries, but not on the S10 until I know what's down there.

Then it was a day on the track Sunday:

Quote:
I was on the track last Sunday coaching. We were using, Fairbairn Park Hill Climb Circuit:

They'd resurfaced the track since I was there at the end of last year and put some new marker/guide posts in. At the apex of turn 8 the plastic post was right where I wanted to be, so I had to 'adjust' it. Otherwise it was like watching the slalom skiing, my RHS bar end and mirror was slapping it each time which was a bit distracting. Kept it up though!

The S10 with Scorpion Rally front and K60 rear was fine, although the TC on 1 was kicking in all the time, even on the uphill straight between 6 and 7. TC2 was OK though.
And then home afterwards for <> 1200 kms over the 3 days. I expect that this K60 will be my last. Doesn't grip very well anywhere, even had some slips on wet bitumen after a storm passed through near Batlow on the run north. We had all sorts of surfaces, from almost bulldust where they'd freshly graded some tracks, rocks, ball bearing gravel, and wet and dry sealed surfaces and at pressures from 28-38 psi it inspires little confidence. Which might be OK if it was going to last, but this trip has taken 3.5 - 4.0 mm off the 12 mm of tread, so might not last as long as the Scorpion Rally and definitely doesn't work as well for me.

BergDonk screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 06:26 PM
BergDonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #200
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,926
Quote:
We had all sorts of surfaces, from almost bulldust where they'd freshly graded some tracks, rocks, ball bearing gravel, and wet and dry sealed surfaces and at pressures from 28-38 psi it inspires little confidence. Which might be OK if it was going to last, but this trip has taken 3.5 - 4.0 mm off the 12 mm of tread, so might not last as long as the Scorpion Rally and definitely doesn't work as well for me.
Thanks for that Mr Donk. Definitely would like to try something different next time. My older K60's are starting to get a bit interesting the dry as well if you push a bit hard. Might buy two sets since I don't need the new model S10. One set for the slabbier trips and one set for the dirtier trips..

When are they going to release ETA tyres? (Electronic Tread Adjustment)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #201
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for that Mr Donk. Definitely would like to try something different next time. My older K60's are starting to get a bit interesting the dry as well if you push a bit hard. Might buy two sets since I don't need the new model S10. One set for the slabbier trips and one set for the dirtier trips..

When are they going to release ETA tyres? (Electronic Tread Adjustment)
A spare set of wheels would be good, and I'd like on bike while you ride pressure adjustment, definitely something I'd use. Available for heavy vehicles like logging trucks and Dakar type rally cars, but not yet for bikes AFAIK.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:09 PM   #202
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Not Happy - Broken Frame!

Coming home from a 3 day ride yesterday I noticed the fairing started to move around a bit about 40 kms from home. It got progressively worse as I got closer to home.

I investigated today and found the frame bracket that mounts the headlight/instrument assembly to the steering head fractured, presumably a fatigue failure. This is disappointing as I have only 12,7xx kms on the bike since June last year.

Not much extra weight up front, the standard screen, the pair of LED driving lights and a GPS as posted earlier, surely within the design parameters.

I've advised the dealer and sent the pics. They will follow up with Yamaha and I guess we'll see what happens.

I know I ride some rough roads at speed at times, but surely its too soon for this to happen. I didn't break my DR650 frame until 75,000 kms!

Arrow points to the bracket.

Clean break on the steering head.

Murky pic of the bracket that mounts the instruments and headlights. The broken bit in the middle with the attaching bolt in situ.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #203
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Coming home from a 3 day ride yesterday I noticed the fairing started to move around a bit about 40 kms from home. It got progressively worse as I got closer to home.

I investigated today and found the frame bracket that mounts the headlight/instrument assembly to the steering head fractured, presumably a fatigue failure. This is disappointing as I have only 12,7xx kms on the bike since June last year.
Freak failure I would say. YAMAHA will probably do a replacement. They better. It's not like things break very often. No point them having a moan over something rare.

Don't panic. YAMAHA have been pretty good about anything so far.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 AM   #204
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Freak failure I would say. YAMAHA will probably do a replacement. They better. It's not like things break very often. No point them having a moan over something rare.

Don't panic. YAMAHA have been pretty good about anything so far.
We'll see.

Replacement is the entire frame and a PITA on a number of levels. I may change my mind, but I think a welding repair and reinforcement might be better. There isn't much steel there, it does look underdone, but admittedly, so far, this is the first that I'm aware of to have suffered this failure.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 AM   #205
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We'll see.

Replacement is the entire frame and a PITA on a number of levels. I may change my mind, but I think a welding repair and reinforcement might be better. There isn't much steel there, it does look underdone, but admittedly, so far, this is the first that I'm aware of to have suffered this failure.
Yeah. Try YAMAHA and see what happens but really, you being you could probably McGuyver an Xrayed, robust solution without all the hassle. It's just the legal shit that's a problem, but it's at least 4 years or so before any inspector gets to look at it and how many of them dismantle a bike to check everything?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #206
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
We'll see.

Man that sucks. My bike has the Yamaha crash bars attached to the bottom of that bracket. Despite a few heavy falls, mine is still in good condition (my bike is currently stripped).

As for any future inspection, it is not a structural part so welding should be OK as well as being a lot easier. On top of this it is actually covered by the headlight stay.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:08 AM   #207
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,739
ohhhh

That's no good at all.. I bet you end up welding it for sure berg

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #208
shieldsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:

Not much extra weight up front, the standard screen, the pair of LED driving lights and a GPS as posted earlier, surely within the design parameters.

I've advised the dealer and sent the pics. They will follow up with Yamaha and I guess we'll see what happens.

I know I ride some rough roads at speed at times, but surely its too soon for this to happen. I didn't break my DR650 frame until 75,000 kms!

Arrow points to the bracket.

Clean break on the steering head.

Murky pic of the bracket that mounts the instruments and headlights. The broken bit in the middle with the attaching bolt in situ.

First time in 4+ years I've heard of this bracket letting go - be interesting to see the Yamaha response .....
shieldsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #209
Happy Snapper
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
We'll see.

Reckon it could be brittle from faulty welding at the factory?

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #210
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the sympathy guys. Although I can stick stuff together, my brother is a professional welder with, among other tickets, a boilermaker's. So when I want it done properly, I know who to call.

I removed the broken frame bit from the plastic subframe and had a good look. There is a hairline fracture/crack roughly where the red line is that I've drawn and pointing to. Doesn't seem to have been 'working', no fretting or anything, but its there.