Old 07-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #31
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Yep, that's why I'm here, and for the social occasion and networking

No doubt I'll adapt

I've yet to do more than a 2 hour stint but, so far, its excellent. I did acquire a lambskin car seat cover the other day. It was orphan single sample for $50, so that will be delivered to my local upholsterer with the seats on Monday for some covers to be made up. I've had sheep/lamb skins on my road bikes since the 70s because they work, and this one will be no different.
I've found that if I'm riding twisties or dirt I can ride all day no problem but on superslab the monkey butt sets in fast. Tried sheepskin and it makes only a small difference, next will probably try an Airhawk unless I can get a good deal on a used Sargent. Am also a bit interested in the Saddlemen Adventure Tour seat but I can't even get them to send me a pic of it...
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:06 AM   #32
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Do the ABS switch last after you logged some miles. You may find that you don't need it. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well it works. Nice build and assessment.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #33
Red Dust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
I was whinging and moaning about god knows what but we all need to bond! In the end of the day it is all good!
Red Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #34
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Do the ABS switch last after you logged some miles. You may find that you don't need it. You'll be pleasantly surprised how well it works. Nice build and assessment.
No doubt the number of times I'll switch it off will be few and far between. The ABS works well for sure. My main criticism of the brakes is that they are a bit grabby with gentle appllications, almost as if a disc is warped, but a little more pressure and it goes away. Great for stoppping, not so great for subtle modulation, but I'll cope. Maybe the pads will bed in a bit more?

I've got to learn to use the rear brake first to separate it from the front too and better understand the way the front activates the rear. My normal braking technique is front then rear. I'd really prefer normal unlinked brakes because I use the rear for manouvering etc, but I also trail brake a bit into an apex, and leave the rear brake on after easing the front to control exit drive, so yet to figure that out, but I'll cope.

The switch assembly that I ordered to switch the ABS off turned up in the mail last week, and its got two switches. I'll use the on/off for the clutch bypass, and the momentary contact to fire an 80A normally on SPDT relay to kill the ABS.

It fits nicely next to the LHS switch block.

I'll do all the wiring more or less at one time, the above, heated grips, GPS, driving lights and power outlets in the tank bag, when I have it all ready to go.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a better pic of the roll pins in the pannier mount.

If you haven't figured it out already, photography isn't really my thing
Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Front Mudguard

I got a Pyramid Plastics fender extender for the front guard to try and keep a bit more of the crap of the front of the engine.

Fitted up as per instructions with the supplied double sided tape and plastic rivets. Hopefully stays put.

I also wanted a bit more clearance from the guard to the tyre. I've seen the results of mud jamming up front wheels and I'd prefer to avoid it. I know a high mount dirt bike type guard is even better, but for the time being it seemed like 20 mm wouldn't be too hard. I'd spotted references to others doing it in my googling, but didn't find out how. Anyway, with a knobby enroute, and the guard off the bike it was time to have a closer look and have a go.

First up, 20 mm seemed like it would work. Some 25 x 3 Al flat attached with some short bolts from the inside and guess what? A 6 x 1 rivet type nutsert is just the right length

Then drill and tap another thread.

Test fit and looks OK, so on to next step.

A bit more Al flat and some extensions for the rear mount.

And its almost good to go.

There wasn't 200 mm clearance to the horn any more, so I cut, extended, bent and painted the horn bracket.

Wiring was long enough, so good to go.

Any more than 20 mm starts to creates more clearance issues, especially I expect after the fork upgrade which will unleash the full 190 mm travel. Also, the brake hose that loops over the guard is now at its extremes, so more lift means work on the hoses.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #37
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I fried the clutch on my DR a couple of years ago out near Mt Dare with mud locking the rear wheel solid, but the front was OK with its high guard.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #38
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

GPS Mount

I've got a Garmin Montana which I like a lot. A Garmin Rugged mount is on the way, but I already had acquired a SW Motech mount so thought I'd fit that up first, and sort the Rugged mount later.

Lay it out and read the instructions.

Without the mount.

Pull the fairing and two covers easily enough.

Undo the instruments and ease them back and test fits no worries.

Reassemble and all that needs to happen when the mount arrives is attach it and wire it. I'll likely make my own attachment too, as I'm not sure I like the SWM one from here on. We'll see
Old 07-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #39
stromsavard
Sergio

Oddometer: 132
You work really well! your bike is very nice with those protection!! Thanks!!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #40
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,734
Watch out!

That front Fender Extender doesn't hook the front of the Skid Plate under fork dive. Happens with the SW Motech Skid Plate. It can bust your fender or if you are lucky, only rip off the Extender.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #41
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
That front Fender Extender doesn't hook the front of the Skid Plate under fork dive. Happens with the SW Motech Skid Plate. It can bust your fender or if you are lucky, only rip off the Extender.
Thanks for this. I thinks its OK but will have another look. As it happens, the way the guard raise worked out, there is a bit of a taper such that the rear didn't go up as much as the front, which helps reduce clogging, and that clearance to the bash plate is more or less retained. I'll check again.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #42
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
Thanks for this. I thinks its OK but will have another look. As it happens, the way the guard raise worked out, there is a bit of a taper such that the rear didn't go up as much as the front, which helps reduce clogging, and that clearance to the bash plate is more or less retained. I'll check again.

Looks a bit odd in the pic, but some measurements indicate it should be fine. But, it may kiss the header, its borderline there.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #43
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Seat Covers

I have had sheep or lamb skin covers on my road bike seats since the 1970s because they are comfy, and the S10 will be no different. I acquired a single sheepskin car seat cover 'sample' cheap and took it and the seats to my local upholsterer who made a pair up at mate's rates.

They breathe, don't hold much moisture if it rains, add a small bit of cushioning and perhaps 6-8 mm extra height.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #44
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tank Bag

A tank bag is always a useful thing. I have a couple of magnetic ones that work OK on the S10's tank, but I fell that something more secure would be in order for off highway use. Picked up a Givi Silver T483 on ebay that should be OK.

You can see the base attached to the tank in the seat pic above.

Not the best pic, but whatever! A change I made to the standard mounting suggestion was to attach the front to the frame tubes 'down under' instead of around the steering head. There was enough webbing supplied and it had loops stitched in too, so easy enough and its now more stable as the front isn't pulled towards the centre of the tank, but a bit away in opposite directions.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #45
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,083
Fender Extenda

Mine did hit the Hepco & Becker bashplate on hard offroad trip. Broke the fender nearly in half. I taped it to get home.

If you cut 1-1/2" off the bottom of fenderextender it will be okay.