User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #106
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,902
Suspension

I did about 700 kms solo over the last couple of days over a large variety of terrain, from fire trails with some jumps, gravel roads and tracks to sealed roads, including Brown Mt, which although sealed, has some choppy sections where the trucks create corrugations/washboard on the seal. Bike now tracks smoothly over it all, cranked over too, and doesn't deflect or kick, excellent!

Did a little more clicker clicking and preload fiddling and I'm now really happy with how it just works everywhere. I am thinking there is a case for stiffer springs both front and rear now, but I'll continue to ride and do a little more fine tuning as is. Perfection is never achieved, just aspired too

Bloody excellent bike, especially with the surging all but gone
Old 09-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #107
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post

Bloody excellent bike, especially with the surging all but gone
You may be onto something there with the leak. Never understood the surging thing.

Does it have a tell tale sound? The usual click click kind of thing?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #108
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Does it have a tell tale sound? The usual click click kind of thing?
Not that I'd noticed. The evidence was the carbon tracking on the copper gaskets. I should have taken a pic, but....

And having had a bit to do with hydraulics and cavitation over the years, I can visualise a scenario whereby air is drawn in, not just exhaust pumped out. Dunno whether it actually happens though.

My gaskets fell out when the headers dropped off. On other bikes, I'm used to the copper O ring gaskets being crushed and staying in situ, and if needing removal, a bit of a pick and probe is necessary.

Someone else needs to have a go. I assume, unless someone has fitted the Arrow headers, that pretty much all bikes out there have their headers as delivered from Yamaha. How many have removed the headers to lube up the link like I did?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #109
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not that I'd noticed. The evidence was the carbon tracking on the copper gaskets. I should have taken a pic, but....

And having had a bit to do with hydraulics and cavitation over the years, I can visualise a scenario whereby air is drawn in, not just exhaust pumped out. Dunno whether it actually happens though.

My gaskets fell out when the headers dropped off. On other bikes, I'm used to the copper O ring gaskets being crushed and staying in situ, and if needing removal, a bit of a pick and probe is necessary.

Someone else needs to have a go. I assume, unless someone has fitted the Arrow headers, that pretty much all bikes out there have their headers as delivered from Yamaha. How many have removed the headers to lube up the link like I did?
Hmm, OK next "winter teardown" then.

I've never experienced what I would call a surge so I don't really know what people are talking 'bout.

The only "surge" kind of thing I ever experienced was on a 35 Degree day running some Opal fuel on light throttle.

That mild back and forth hunting thing. No sign of pinging. It was only a light throttle thing.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #110
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmm, OK next "winter teardown" then.

I've never experienced what I would call a surge so I don't really know what people are talking 'bout.

The only "surge" kind of thing I ever experienced was on a 35 Degree day running some Opal fuel on light throttle.

That mild back and forth hunting thing. No sign of pinging. It was only a light throttle thing.
Then perhaps your gaskets are sealed?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #111
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Then perhaps your gaskets are sealed?
Lucky me, or I'm just really forgiving.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #112
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had a visitor today, Sidetrack One, an enthusiastic, among others, S10 owner. He had a present for me and we compared a few S10 notes. He mentioned the bung in the LHS swingarm is known to fall out which allows the arm to fill with crud. He'd lost his unfortunately.

We had a look and my bung was still in place, but not real secure, flopping about. I pulled it out and cleaned it up and reinstalled with some Silastic so hopefully it'll stay in place. The arm is curved, but the bung isn't, and doesn't have much of a lip, so its its pretty obvious why these go walkabout. Thanks Dave

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #113
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been enjoying the ride, 5,500 kms now, and more to come this weekend. Done a bit more farkling too.

From Rideon ADV, a billet sidestand big foot.

And a radiator intake guard for the lower intake to try and keep the birds out. I did collect one on the exhaust yesterday, the smell of burning flesh has a certain aroma!

I also punched a few holes in the tank filler neck. First fill suggets an extra 40-50 kms worth of fuel, so definitely worth doing.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #114
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a pic of us out on yesterday's ride, <> 650 kms.

Up on Collector Ridge above Lake George looking east. Hoots took the pic, and I'm the one on the right facing away from the camera.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #115
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
and I'm the one on the right facing away from the camera.
Bikes lined up in order of ground clearance.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #116
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Something like that. Hoots was leading on the 690, and I like to either lead, or sweep, I have more control that way, and stay out of the dust.

The reverse order is comfort
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #117
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And mass

As it happens I'll be up your way this weekend, heading to Rydal for the DSMRA AGM on the S10. As much dirt as possible to and from, but there is rain forecast, mainly for Sunday, so I can head for some good sealed roads if necessary. Still got the BWs fitted, which I reckon are excellent for what they are, and better than expected on dry rocks, gravel and softer stuff. Yet to be tested in slop, but I don't have high hopes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #118
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
And mass

As it happens I'll be up your way this weekend, heading to Rydal for the DSMRA AGM on the S10. As much dirt as possible to and from, but there is rain forecast, mainly for Sunday, so I can head for some good sealed roads if necessary. Still got the BWs fitted, which I reckon are excellent for what they are, and better than expected on dry rocks, gravel and softer stuff. Yet to be tested in slop, but I don't have high hopes
Tried Anakees on slop. Keep those hopes down. Good idea.

But I have a suspicion you are probably better at that kind of stuff than I am.

Actually that is when I decided front mounted radiators were not good. The Anakees spread nice fine clay mud all over the oil cooler in no time and eventually over the radiator (Strom). It was nice and even due to the constant turning of the front wheel (side to side) trying to go straight. The engine didn't like the added insulation.

Anyway I had some good solid terracotta half pipes when I got home off the exhaust

Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #119
twflybum
Prodigal Biker

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
.. Still got the BWs fitted, which I reckon are excellent for what they are, and better than expected on dry rocks, gravel and softer stuff. Yet to be tested in slop, but I don't have high hopes
I too am amazed at how good the stock BWs are. Way better off tarmac than I would ever have imagined. I have ridden them offroad in the wet and they did ok... not really much slop though and I was riding very cautious. Was alone and didn't want to have to pick it up.

Been enjoying your build! Always nice to see what others are doing to their S10. And you're right.. it is a 'bloody fabulous bike'!
twflybum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #120
BergDonk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Tried Anakees on slop. Keep those hopes down. Good idea.

But I have a suspicion you are probably better at that kind of stuff than I am.

Actually that is when I decided front mounted radiators were not good. The Anakees spread nice fine clay mud all over the oil cooler in no time and eventually over the radiator (Strom). It was nice and even due to the constant turning of the front wheel (side to side) trying to go straight. The engine didn't like the added insulation.

Anyway I had some good solid terracotta half pipes when I got home off the exhaust
What's better? Ride safe, enjoy, and survive to enjoy the ride another day is all that's required. Not like some of the loonies that visited here for the Snowy Ride last weekend, 3 deaths, many crashes, and countless near misses. Always a good weekend to be off the roads here. And in the name of raising money for Cancer Research to save lives!

http://www.snowyride.org.au/

A worthy cause, and most do the right thing, but too many don't.

Anyway, ceramic coated exhausts can be a good thing, and you got yours on the cheap

I do like the side mounted radiator, definitely less vulnerable than it would have been in a conventional location, as long as you have a decent crash bar at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by twflybum View Post
I too am amazed at how good the stock BWs are. Way better off tarmac than I would ever have imagined. I have ridden them offroad in the wet and they did ok... not really much slop though and I was riding very cautious. Was alone and didn't want to have to pick it up.

Been enjoying your build! Always nice to see what others are doing to their S10. And you're right.. it is a 'bloody fabulous bike'!
The BWs have definitely exceeded my expectations off road. Upon further reflection, I have also done some damp gravel/clay and survived that too, some with the missus up back. I do have a set of Pirelli Scorpion Rallys to go on, and a Mitas E10 front Heidenau K60 rear combo in the shed for the S10 too, so gotta do some kms to wear out the BWs and get some knobs on ASAP.

I have a track day next weekend where I'll be doing some coaching, so looking forward to that, and the BWs will be excellent for that. I would actually like another set of wheels.

As I'm getting more comfortable pushing the S10, I still don't really trust the front BW loaded into gravel corners. There is a lot of weight, and once it starts to push, its not always happy to come back, so its slow in and fast out. Hoping the knob front will improve this, but it won't lighten the bike all the same.

Which leads me to a few more thoughts:

The ABS switch I fitted is great, and switching it off means I can late brake a bit into corners and get it pulled up. With the ABS on, any slight irregularity on the surface unweights the tyre slightly and activates the ABS, which starts pulsing and pogoing the front causing grief slowing. Much easier to turn it off and rely on traditional antilock. Fine on sealed surfaces, but not so on unsealed when trying a bit. And I'd still prefer not to have the brakes linked at all. I like to run into corners with both brakes, then release the front, but still carry some rear for steering and line and drive control. But it then keeps the front on and pushes the front as a result. Maybe I'll just remove all the ABS and linked stuff one day and have traditional brakes. It'd save some weight too.

Nothing's ever perfect and its still a bloody good bike which I'm really enjoying, even with its quirks