User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
cory1848 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Hyperpro Spring install

Need some help/advice on how to proceed. I just installed the Hyperpro combo kit for my Tiger 800XC. I had been fighting with suspension issues since I have bought the bike, dealer has been working with me on it for the most part. I had the front end bounce issue which the dealer swapped the front tire to try and get rid of it. It helped some but not completely. It is good enough not to really worry about it as much as I was previously. The new tire, I believe, introduced headshake. These are the Pirelli Scorpions and from what I have ready, this problem isn't new with these tires. Trying not to worry about that issue at the moment as I plan on changing out tires.

I am a heavier rider at 270lbs so I knew the the springs weren't up to par for me. Sag settings 10mm below what they should be so I bought the hyperpro kit to sure that up. Just finished the install last night and went for test ride. Big difference and a good change. I haven't measured sag yet but I feel the bike sits much higher without the initial bike only settling it had with the previous springs. I feel the rear is sorted out now and the front has much less dive and feels more firm. Good so far.

Now when installing the springs, hyperpro settings for oil level are at 150mm. Triumphs settings are 107mm. So hyperpro wants more of an air gap. Hyperpro is also using 15wt oil vs 10wt for Triumph. So my problem is now when I grab the brake and rock the bike I can feel clicking or movement in the front end. I dont feel this clicking movement when bouncing the front without the brake. Grabbing the front forks at the axle I get a good amount of movement, but grabbing at the outer tubes above the fender I have no movement. Thinking head bearings but I have previously set those when trying to fix the bouncing issue. Riding the bike every time I touch the brakes I can feel movement in the front like something is loose. Feel it up through the bars. If slowing down from 60mph I initially feel the click movement and if I hit a bump in the road while still braking, I can feel it again. Calipers have some movement on the pins and could be the culprit but not so sure. The only other thing I can think of are fork bushings? Maybe because the forks are sitting higher (not as much sag) they have more play? Could the difference in oil level be to blame? If its the calipers, I have no idea what else could be tightened. Everything is torqued to spec from the manual. Not sure where else to look. Brake pads maybe? Bike only has 1800 miles on it. About to go on a bike trip this weekend so trying to sort it out.

One last thing, I didn't apply the grease they give you to put under the dust seals. Should I do this?

Thoughts?

Thanks

cory1848 screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 06:28 AM
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 832
The XC has floating brake rotors upfront & they have play in the "rivet area"...I get the cluck sound as well. I have had a Hyperpro kit on my XC for almost a year now.
The greae under the dust seals..no big deal. I did however install Neoprene Fork tube wraps on my Forks.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
cory1848 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
I tore everything down again last night and reassembled. Not as bad as it was but it is still there. I don't think this is rotor or caliper play. With the fork caps off and the tubes compressed, there is quite a bit of play between the inner and outer tubes. When I move the tubes I get that clicking/movement that I think I am feeling in the front end. Not sure if there is a fix for that or even if it needs to be fixed. I also tightened up the head bearings to 18nm as well. Think I will eventually replace those with tapered bearings. It did use the grease for the dust seals, not sure if that will even do anything.

Heading out in the morning on a 1500+ mile ride with the wife so hopefully everything holds together.

I am really liking the hyperpros. The thing I notice the most is that the bike doesnt sag under its own weight as much anymore. This means that I can now actually use the rear preload. With the stock spring I had the preload set to 2 clicks out from the hardest setting, now I am at 14 clicks out and it feels good. Big difference there. Still have the bouncing and headshake in the front end. After this trip I think I will get a set of more dirt orientated tires and see if that does anything.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Moonsorrow
Jesus

Oddometer: 31
The clicking sound was in my case the play between inner and outer tube, and I had one inner tube with what I think is "bushing" in english replaced under warranty.

I Also have Hyperpro suspension installed (at Hyperpro). At first I had the "regular" front fork kit but with different oil (5 W, I think), but I found that it bottomed out quite easy on the rough stuff so I went back and had the springs replaced by a stronger set. I'm very happy with the results now. By the way, getting offroad tyres will propably enhance the bouncing front end ;) .
Moonsorrow is offline   Reply With Quote