Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Oddometer: 203
Fuel filters installed in 990 filler caps.

Purchased a pair of KTM450 screw filler filters from split stream.

http://www.split-stream.com/products...xf-ktm-sxf-efi

I figured I'd work out how to fit them later... In the neck is almost impossible. Very little room to put a taper sleeve etc.

Next I thought about glueing or using a band and screws to secure from underside. Two weeks of contemplation later...Bit the bullet after reading up on plastic welding. Worried about what part of the operation was going to turn to crap and very surprised to find that 30 minutes after starting the filters were installed and back in the tank. Virtually painless

Fuel filter change was harder. Without Orange crush I'd have been stumped for ages on how to pull that white plastic thing apart for the little round filter!

See pic below. I used a little weld (really just heating and spreading material between the 2 parts) each side. Just the two little ones and it was securely held.

Next was fully welding all the way around.

Filters installed and back on bike. First fill I noticed a bit of foaming up while filling. That was near the top of tank fill so no big deal.

Trail bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,539
What is the lifetime on these filters? If they need periodic replacement that's going to be a challenge.

As for plastic welding I've always used the triangular welding rod and a hot air welder. You get much better/stronger results than by smearing plastic using a soldering iron.

If you have access to a lathe I'd have thought you could make something (out of delron) that was a press fit on one end (into the 990 cap) and a screw thread on the other (for the filter) .... or maybe I'm missing something about the filter design?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
What is the lifetime on these filters? If they need periodic replacement that's going to be a challenge.
Good question. Don't think it's a problem because of the large area. Still, cleaning them out would just be a matter of pulling the bolts and removing them. A few minutes would get that done.

Quote:
As for plastic welding I've always used the triangular welding rod and a hot air welder. You get much better/stronger results than by smearing plastic using a soldering iron.
Yes, watched the video of this being done. Worried that the hot air gun would melt the mesh nearby. Also, confirmed with just the two initial tiny welds there was already plenty of strength.

Quote:
If you have access to a lathe I'd have thought you could make something (out of delron) that was a press fit on one end (into the 990 cap) and a screw thread on the other (for the filter) .... or maybe I'm missing something about the filter design?
This was where I started. Problem is the cap closing latch is very close to bottom of that filler looking at it internally.

That thread is not really a thread. It is a very small partial thread designed to be wound down into the dirt bike KTM tank.

Commercially I think a CNC part could be made to fit externally where I welded this. It could be made with a custom mesh filter.

I'm happy with this 50 dollar solution and should never need to change the fuel filters again and should be able to fill up in very suspect places around the world without problems.

Then again..... Wife was crying and telling me not to take the bike out in rain today because she was worried so further world travels on 2 wheels could be a problem.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Good job, I'm not far behind you on this mod. I'd already spoken to the owner of the company and was contemplating how to make them work. This looks like a clean install.

The cost and ease of cleaning make this a "must do" on my list. Sure beats replacing the pump filters.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Without dissent may I ask if someone's come up with a solution to a problem that didn't exist?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
Without dissent may I ask if someone's come up with a solution to a problem that didn't exist?
Given the issues people have with the OEM fuel filter, additional filtration (assuming it's fine enough) sounds like a good idea.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Given the issues people have with the OEM fuel filter, additional filtration (assuming it's fine enough) sounds like a good idea.
Yeah, I personally have never had a problem, but filtration is never a bad thing.
I didn't realize it was such a common problem, is it mainly with off roaders or everyone?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I personally have never had a problem
I don't have a 990 but there are a ton of posts here with people having issues with the OEM in tank filters. Clogging. Difficulty replacing. Cost of replacing.

That said I kind of wonder how effective a simple single layer mesh filter will be at minimizing the above. Obviously it's unlikely to make it any worse.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Quote:
I don't have a 990 but there are a ton of posts here with people having issues with the OEM in tank filters. Clogging. Difficulty replacing. Cost of replacing.

That said I kind of wonder how effective a simple single layer mesh filter will be at minimizing the above. Obviously it's unlikely to make it any worse.
Re pre filter. Can't find anything definitive on the OEM tea bag pre filter size. Probably 25 to 30 microns. The split stream filters are 25 micron.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Yep, the stock filters are not "end of the world" difficult, but a large enough pain, that having a pre-filter system like this to slow down the clogging process seems completely worth it to me. I got approx. 15K miles out of my first OEM set, and that seems to be right about on par with what others are getting as well. Mine gets used equally on and off road.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
I'd already spoken to the owner of the company and was contemplating how to make them work.
It sounds like a product opportunity for the company owner. With a bit of research I bet he could come up with a version that fit the 990 and was removable for easy cleaning.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
It's not that common but it happens. Not a big deal if you're around town since you can see it coming, but I had my filters clogged when riding alone and pretty far from home. I made it home, 200 km riding almost at idle on sunday night, it sucks.
Down here is easy be riding in the middle of nowhere and sometimes I had to fill my tanks with gas coming from bottles and other stuff, bought from locals, and you never how dirty is that fuel (assuming is fuel )

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #13
Trail bandit OP
Random adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
The cost and ease of cleaning make this a "must do" on my list. Sure beats replacing the pump filters.
Been reading more and it looks like the little barrel filter is a 10 micron so that guy will probably still need changing but possibly at much longer intervals.

The tea bag pre cleaner should stay clean if it is 25 micron or larger. It seems to have been the main culprit in clogging anyway from what I can tell reading the posts.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
KTMbageera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Fuel pre-filtering methods on the road.

The new fuel cap w/filters from CJ Designs look good to me. This is how I have been doing it.

http://youtu.be/uEI2Ancvd3w
KTMbageera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMbageera View Post
The new fuel cap w/filters from CJ Designs look good to me. This is how I have been doing it.

http://youtu.be/uEI2Ancvd3w

Isn't this the exact same thing the OP is using, only you're holding onto it?