Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
REI half dome 2 plus
ts3doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,667
don't forget that you can pack the tent and poles separately . . . . . as pointed out above, the poles are fairly limited in terms of compressibility, but the tent (and fly/footprint) can be packed in a compression sack and made pretty darned small, indeed.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
It's likely a 12x12 Kelta Noah.. Set this up first and you have a shaded and dry area to set up your tent, then sit back and have dinner.
Actually, that's the 9x9, but that's more or less irrelevant. I've been trying to get away from a tent and to a tarp/bivy set up. I've got a bivy, and need to get a tarp still. The Noah's Tarp is a strong contender, although there's another one on Campmor which is a lot cheaper.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
Actually, that's the 9x9, but that's more or less irrelevant. I've been trying to get away from a tent and to a tarp/bivy set up. I've got a bivy, and need to get a tarp still. The Noah's Tarp is a strong contender, although there's another one on Campmor which is a lot cheaper.

I have the 9x9 (for solo runs), and the 12x12 (for group efforts). Both are very good, very small (packed), and very light!
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,403
Please do a search on Tents, its been discussed many times already.

My number one recommendation for a the best tent on a motorcycle trip is; the one with the biggest vestibule.

A vestibule where you can store your dirty riding gear, and luggage, while you keep a clean and orderly sleeping area in the main tent. The fly tarps are great if the weather does not cooperate and will provide shade.

look up Hilleberg if you want awesome.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
GOOGLE Ray jardine...

Dave
Old 06-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,235
I like my BIG AGNES Jack Rabbit 3. I found that a three person is just right for me & my gear.
So my suggestion is to get one big enough to hold all your stuff, too.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Helipilot,

We have a few things in common. I'm also 68 and just bought a nearly new Redverz Series II Expedition tent from an inmate on another forum for the same reasons. Fixed wing pilot though.

John
jwdub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #24
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
JWDUB,

Please post up a review on the redverz when you have a chance to try it out. It is a great looking design with lots of room and packs up fairly small from what I have seen and read. I also flew fixed wing as well but preferred the helicopters for all the work I could do in one of them. I retired at 65 due to the FAA thing and am enjoying life. Good luck!

Roger
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #25
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStrings85 View Post
Anyone recommend a good tent for camping on a motorcycle trip?
A little more info world be nice. Do you ride a WR250 or a GS1200. Solo or a pillon too? Are you camping in Florida or Alaska? Are you planning on riding in an area with a lot of homeless? If so go to Walmart and by cheap and often.

I use and like the REI half dome 2 plus. Tons of room when solo and still works with extra room with my wife.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #26
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Before you waste a lot of money, go to Big 5 and buy a 7x7 Prospector tent for $20-25. More than adequate for MC touring.

(Flame suit on. I could give a shit about name brands, have spent lots of nights in this tent while touring and it is more than up to the task. I do have other Alps, Sierra Designs and Kelty tents for hiking but I usually take this one for MC touring.)

And it's even assembled in the USA.

duck screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 06:37 PM
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #27
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Nemo morpho 2p. Wouldn't trade mine for anything
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #28
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I have a Redverz Expedition II and a Nemo Morpho 1P

If space and weight aren't a huge concern then the Redverz is the best tent hands down....the huge vestibule will make camping so much more enjoyable..

However if your just throwing a tent down for the night and want to pack up quick then the Nemo is the tent to get...sets up in a couple of minutes....down side is not a lot of room in the 1P. You can sit up but thats it....no real room for a lot of gear. Packs up to the size of a football....no poles to deal with....

Really depends on what type of camping and the bike you have..

Offcamber screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 07:12 AM
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #29
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
What you are looking for is a decent tent with a small packed LENGTH. It's the length of the tent poles that's a serious PITA in most cases.

As others have hinted, not as critical as say backpacking, you don't have to carry the damned thing on your back and most tents will work - I typically go really cheap, but conditions here are usually pretty mild and if it's feral I'll go find a motel or just ride home.

So, the decider for a bike is usually packed size, not weight, but short poles that'll fit nicely on the bike are worth spending $$ on.
Pete
What PeterW said. Some bikes that are marketed at cyclists are good for the same reason that we want them short; they fit in panniers.

These can be quite hard to find: Short poles are a reasonably niche demand for tents and poles with fewer joins (IE, longer sections) are almost always lighter. As light weight is what tends to sell tents (at least at the sort of size 90%+ of motorcyclists will be taking, as opposed to car-camping monstrosities), the manufacturers shave a few grams by putting longer sectioned poles in to eliminate a join or two.

If someone wants a nice cottage industry, I bet you could do quite well making replacement pole kits for popular tent models that make the poles pack significantly shorter, by adding two (or even three) sections to the replacement pole.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #30
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I really really love my Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1

Lots of room for a 1 person, enough head room to sit up in, enough vestibule for gear, ultra light option(frame, foot print, rain fly)

I use this when I take my dog too. If you want an idea, my fiance and I are very average sized people, 5'8 and 140# for me, and 5'6 130# for her and we sleep in it fine together.

Sets up easy, withstands some pretty terrifying near treeline wind gusts...

Can't go wrong, it's super affordable too, not to mention locally made(for me at least)

I love that tent, and could not say enough good things about it. Unless they discontinue it, I'll buy another when I wear this one out. Even if they discontinue it, I'll find another one.

It's been reliable, easy to use, light, durable, roomy, and it's kept me out of the elements a lot. Worth it's (little) weight in gold.
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote