Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #31
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'm totally sold on this one. Here's my bike. Right next to me with all my gear, while I sleep. I don't have to worry about midnight camp robbers. I slept like a baby and I can keep my bike sealed up and out of sight. Rad motorcycle camping tent. I like the color, too. Blends right in. I stuffed my sleeping bag into the tent bag and used it as a backrest while traveling. About ten pounds with the sleeping bag inside and easy as pie to set up. With my down-filled sleeping pad from REI. -I can't be happier. I sleep better in the tent than at home. Cheers!

photo b1da7b2b-85ea-4002-b4a5-09ca60e2c0c0_zps79cb9ba7.jpg

As you can see it fits right behind me and does not obstruct access to my panniers. My helmet is in a helmet bag on top.
The tent bag has quick release adjustable straps built in and attaches practically anywhere. I won't be buying another type of tent for any reason.

photo 0969aca3-b1b7-4bf9-a620-a3f125fb97b2_zpsb202d9f6.jpg

fractalsource screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 08:21 PM
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
I'm totally sold on this one. Here's my bike. Right next to me with all my gear, while I sleep. I don't have to worry about midnight camp robbers. I slept like a baby and I can keep my bike sealed up and out of sight. Rad motorcycle camping tent. I like the color, too. Blends right in. I stuffed my sleeping bag into the tent bag and used it as a backrest while traveling. About ten pounds with the sleeping bag inside and easy as pie to set up.

photo b1da7b2b-85ea-4002-b4a5-09ca60e2c0c0_zps79cb9ba7.jpg

As you can see it fits right behind me and does not obstruct access to my panniers. My helmet is in a helmet bag on top.

photo 0969aca3-b1b7-4bf9-a620-a3f125fb97b2_zpsb202d9f6.jpg
That's pretty rad.. I dig the built in garage. Who makes it?
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geolander View Post
That's pretty rad.. I dig the built in garage. Who makes it?
Tent: http://shop.redverz.com/categories/T...eries-II-Tent/

Pad: http://www.rei.com/product/780362/ex...-pad-with-pump

Beer: http://www.kirin.com/KIRINICHIBAN.aspx

fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #34
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

That shit's goin' on my Winter Solstice list, ASAP.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #35
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
Christine and Kevin at Redverz are great people to work with and the tent is a great piece of kit. Love mine.
Okie Preacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #36
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,548
Love my series II Expedition tent....,

Here it is packed, I put it in the compression sack because its water proof....a dry bag might be better.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #37
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, wow.. Packed down is still freaking huge though. Maybe when I buy a big bike. I'll stick to the tarp, cable, and disc lock for now

Looks like a really nice tent though.

I camp in the woods though.. Not at campgrounds.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #38
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,198
Geez...another tent thread.

The size and type of tent is dependent on bike size, weather anticipated, trip length, and how much room you need/want. Are you base camping or pulling up stakes every day. Tent size and complexity has a huge impact on ease of setup and tear down.

The Redverz ones are nice but I've seen them turn into a kite. If you find inclement weather something lower and more aerodynamic is a huge plus. They are also huge when packed, weigh a ton, and people snicker behind your back. Popular with the GS crowd - you need one to haul one.

Do a google search with this syntax: site:advrider.com tents
You'll find a plethora of information already posted on the subject, all the rest of the tent threads.

Considerations:
side door, two doors. A side-open is easier to get in and out of than an end-open
3 poles are stronger than two if you get wind
you want aluminum poles not fiberglass if you're gonna see wind
lighter colors are more cheery inside than dark if you get stuck inside in bad weather
A fly design that keeps rain from coming in the door - if you camp in rain (I don't)
a ground cover that matches the tent - a large tarp will pool water under the tent and cause it to leak
clips setup much faster and easier than sleeves but the latter are much stronger in wind
weight is secondary on a bike since you're not carrying it on your back. A super light all mesh backpack tent is probably not going to do it for tougher weather. An all mesh tent lets a LOT of sand in if it blows
you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good dependable shelter
a 2 man for solo, 3-man for two, and so on and so forth. Again, you're not carrying it on your back.
vestibule room is better for gear than tent floor area - leave the shit outside under cover.

These folks will make tent poles any length for you: http://tentpoletechnologies.com/

In fact, a cheap way to go is a cheap tent with fiberglass poles (the body is usually pretty good) and then have aluminum poles made in the length you need for packing. But then the poles aren't that cheap so you end up just about to the price of a decent tent.

REI had their half-dome on sale this spring for $150 and the plus for $10 more. My gawd you could shop high and low and not find any better.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 AM   #39
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
REDVERZ for me too. I could care less about snickers behind my back. It served me well on my 30 day ride in new England last summer, as well as a few trips in the smokies this year. I've spent 3 days in the tent waiting for the rain to stop. I was dry and comfortable, sitting in a chair....when i'd had enough of the rain, I pulled my bike inside, loaded it up, put on my gortex gear and pulled the bike out. in less than 5 minutes, my tent was down and strapped to my seat. I was dry! these tents appear to be popular as I often see them. I've never met an owner that did not like it but I have read plenty of negative statements by people who have never used one and can't seem to save enough money to buy one. SOUR GRAPES?

But if I'm alone and one nighting it, and there are trees, I prefer my hammock :)

Old 07-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #40
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I've never met an owner that did not like it but I have read plenty of negative statements by people who have never used one and can't seem to save enough money to buy one. SOUR GRAPES?
Oh, I wouldn't try and getting into a "my tent is more expensive than yours" pissing contest with that nice little mid-price Redverz of yours. Someone with four grand's worth of 24-man Kifaru Tipi will be along to point out that their tent packs small/light enough to fit across their pillion seat and is big enough to fit 4 Goldwings in and still walk around inside comfortably.

In all seriousness, I'm impressed that you managed to get the Goldwing in and loaded up. I hadn't realised that the porch was that large in them. You can also quite legitimately ignore the snickers because you 'rough it' in a Hammock at other times.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #41
Charleetho
Mr. Zoom Zoom

Oddometer: 1,560
For solo travel I like my Eureka Timberline 2.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40324

It seems old school but when you look up the weight and compactness specs it compare real well with later designs.

I have used it for maybe 8 nights. It is for sale. $100 shipped in the CONUS

Seems I two up camp a lot more and just purchased a Eureka Apex 3XT.
05 R1200GS, 01 GL1800A, 99 ATK490, 93 900SS, (must stop looking in Flea Market!)
Charleetho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #42
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Geez...another tent thread.

The size and type of tent is dependent on bike size, weather anticipated, trip length, and how much room you need/want. Are you base camping or pulling up stakes every day. Tent size and complexity has a huge impact on ease of setup and tear down.

The Redverz ones are nice but I've seen them turn into a kite. If you find inclement weather something lower and more aerodynamic is a huge plus. They are also huge when packed, weigh a ton, and people snicker behind your back. Popular with the GS crowd - you need one to haul one.

Do a google search with this syntax: site:advrider.com tents
You'll find a plethora of information already posted on the subject, all the rest of the tent threads.

Considerations:
side door, two doors. A side-open is easier to get in and out of than an end-open
3 poles are stronger than two if you get wind
you want aluminum poles not fiberglass if you're gonna see wind
lighter colors are more cheery inside than dark if you get stuck inside in bad weather
A fly design that keeps rain from coming in the door - if you camp in rain (I don't)
a ground cover that matches the tent - a large tarp will pool water under the tent and cause it to leak
clips setup much faster and easier than sleeves but the latter are much stronger in wind
weight is secondary on a bike since you're not carrying it on your back. A super light all mesh backpack tent is probably not going to do it for tougher weather. An all mesh tent lets a LOT of sand in if it blows
you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good dependable shelter
a 2 man for solo, 3-man for two, and so on and so forth. Again, you're not carrying it on your back.
vestibule room is better for gear than tent floor area - leave the shit outside under cover.

These folks will make tent poles any length for you: http://tentpoletechnologies.com/

In fact, a cheap way to go is a cheap tent with fiberglass poles (the body is usually pretty good) and then have aluminum poles made in the length you need for packing. But then the poles aren't that cheap so you end up just about to the price of a decent tent.

REI had their half-dome on sale this spring for $150 and the plus for $10 more. My gawd you could shop high and low and not find any better.

Great comment - totally agree. Right tool for the job, although in my mind the right tool is always the lighter option but that's my riding style. Some people like setting up huge camps with every comfort but I heartily dislike that type of nomad adventure. Light and fast is easier and less to carry = more riding.

Here's one of my tents, I generally ride solo and camp in weather down to 15F but ideally >30F at night. A 3 season tent is fine, I just layer up by wearing my down jacket inside my down bag and that negates the requirement for a 4 season tent in cold weather. If it's snowing, I'm not riding because I'm out skiing so again, 3 season tent is sufficient.

Here's my 5-day setup, it all fits into a 30L backpack or side bags. Tent is a Marmot EOS-1p (http://marmot.com/products/eos_1p)

Max Weight 2 lbs 13 oz / 1.3 kg
Dimensions: 36x37x87in / 91x94x220cm
Packed Size: 6 x 21.5 in / 16 x 55 cm

Old 07-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #43
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
REDVERZ for me too. I could care less about snickers behind my back. It served me well on my 30 day ride in new England last summer, as well as a few trips in the smokies this year. I've spent 3 days in the tent waiting for the rain to stop. I was dry and comfortable, sitting in a chair....when i'd had enough of the rain, I pulled my bike inside, loaded it up, put on my gortex gear and pulled the bike out. in less than 5 minutes, my tent was down and strapped to my seat. I was dry! these tents appear to be popular as I often see them. I've never met an owner that did not like it but I have read plenty of negative statements by people who have never used one and can't seem to save enough money to buy one. SOUR GRAPES?

That's a whiney response. I HAVE camped in one, have a couple of riding buddies with them. They are on BIG bikes. Just about every one I've seen with one has a 1200GS. If you're happy with it, that's fine. If you re-read my comment I also said "they are nice". We do a different type of ride and camp - I wouldn't be sitting in a tent for 3 days.

All I'm saying is while I agree people like them they're not panacea. A huge tent is no fun if it's blowing 40mph or more. A smaller aerodynamic tent is good there, even up to higher speeds. Folks that see off-season use, beach, and exposed areas with high winds understand this. Camped in the rain is a different deal. And I'll mention size and weight here too - not everyone wants to haul that kind of load.

The money comment is just juvenile. Are you f'ing kidding me? My dad is tougher than your dad...i'm richer than you? That shit doesn't belong here.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #44
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,115
Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar. Packs small, it's light, roomy for two, one trekking pole to set up (2 or stick or tree if you want an open side and the flick lock poles from Walmart pack smallest and use Black Diamond hardware), and it's 4 season capable. Plus it's under $200.

I don't seem to have a good shot of mine even though I've had it since mid-2011 so here's one from Google Images.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #45
Geolander
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Great comment - totally agree. Right tool for the job, although in my mind the right tool is always the lighter option but that's my riding style. Some people like setting up huge camps with every comfort but I heartily dislike that type of nomad adventure. Light and fast is easier and less to carry = more riding.

Here's one of my tents, I generally ride solo and camp in weather down to 15F but ideally >30F at night. A 3 season tent is fine, I just layer up by wearing my down jacket inside my down bag and that negates the requirement for a 4 season tent in cold weather. If it's snowing, I'm not riding because I'm out skiing so again, 3 season tent is sufficient.

Here's my 5-day setup, it all fits into a 30L backpack or side bags. Tent is a Marmot EOS-1p (http://marmot.com/products/eos_1p)

Max Weight 2 lbs 13 oz / 1.3 kg
Dimensions: 36x37x87in / 91x94x220cm
Packed Size: 6 x 21.5 in / 16 x 55 cm

Couldn't have said it better myself. That Marmot is almost identical to the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1.

Stats for the big agnes;

3.5 lbs (wonder where the extra pound comes from? I guess probly just the little bit of extra room)
6" x 19" packed
Length 90" Width 42" tapering down to 30" @ foot
and a peak height of 37"

Best selling point of the big agnes is the price, $179. In my case there was 20% off too. Can't beat that. Love this tent.

I use mine year round too. I knew somewhere there were other people as nuts as me. I was getting worried I might be the first fool to die in a blizzard in a freaking 3 season tent. In the rocky mountains, at 10,500 feet in December.

Although I had a close call last winter @ Slaughterhouse Gulch. Made me look into buying a proper winter tent. I probably will before next season. My fiance wants me alive I guess?

I wanna check that marmot out for backpacking though, a pound is a lot when you're hoofin' it.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!