User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Pink Crocs in search of Lobsters

In less than 2 weeks I will be leaving Vancouver BC and heading across the country and aiming for Portland ME. From there the plan is to head north back into Canada and try to find some Lobster in Shediac, NB, the Lobster Capital of the World. Then ride over the Confederation Bridge to PEI: Prince Edward Island. After a week of R&R on PEI it will be time to head home, visit some friends in Kingston, Ontario. From there it's anyone's guess as to which return route I will take. So many options and so little time

Obviously I will be taking my Pink Crocs. They have traveled with me to many places. About 4 years ago I acquired my pair of Pink Crocs "on a challenge" and since then I have accepted and embraced the colour

Yaquina Bay Bridge, Newport, Oregon July 2010

I started touring about 6 years ago. Started with one weekend the first year, then a couple of weekends and over time it expanded to a 10 day multi day trip to Montana a couple of years ago

St Mary's Lake, Highway to the Sun, Montana July 2011

Most of my travels have taken me to Britsh Columbia, WA, OR, ID & MT. In fact I have been to Oregon every year for the past few and I thought it was time for a change

approaching St Mary's, MT July 2011

This year I decided to take a much longer trip and include a few weeks of unpaid vacation time. The duration of this trip will be 6 weeks

I bought my Vstrom DL650 in 2009 . It is reliable and has given me many trouble free miles and many memories

Oregon Coast, July, 2012

In fact, I would trust it to take me anywhere on a moments notice, and I know it would take me there and back without fuss

I have always had my eye on owning a BMW, at least once in my life so when I was planning this trip and thinking about the miles involved I rationalized in my mind that this would be the perfect excuse to buy a Nu2me bike for extended highway travel, not that I wouldn't prefer secondary roads much better

English Bay, Vancouver, BC (my hometown)

I have no route planned except for the first 2 days. I do not need to see anything in WA or OR so I will take the slab into MT, most likely I-90 and then divert south through Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Scenic Highway and get to Cody, WY. From there I will plan each day as it comes. It is a bit outside of my comfort zone not to have accommodations booked along the way but I am trying to be adventurous and self sufficient

In my mind I am still torn as to which bike to bring as I do not plan of leaving paved roads but the BMW is safer with the traction control and TPS, plus it is less messy with the shaft drive.

I have had the R1200R fully serviced

The splines were dry, but not anymore. All fluids have been changed; rear diff, brake flush, trans flush, oil change, new battery, new Pilot Road2s and pads are like new.

Inukshuk, English Bay, Vancouver, BC

I am sticking to the Northern States as I head East probably a combination of I-90 or I-80 until I get to PA. If you are on my route then it would be nice to meet some of you.

This will be my longest solo ride on my motorcycle and I will probably get tired hearing me talk to myself but the thought of having a few meals of lobster will keep me going . . .

It is my plan to keep this RR live as long as I can find WiFi each evening.

departure date: July 10th, 2013

Thanks for reading and see you on the road.

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #2
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Talking Hello from Kedgi in Shediac

Bob

It's great to see you are on your way, living the dream.

I used to live in Beach Towers, right across the street from where you took that shot of your new BMW by the Inukshuk in Vancouver.

It's going to be fun to be at home reading your ride report since you were a dedicated reader of my Lobsters to LLamas report of my ride to Argentina this past Winter.

We'll fix you up with some lobster when you get here, no worries! They don't call Shediac, NB the "Lobster Capital of the World" for nothing.

In the meantime, ride safe, enjoy the freedom of not having too much advance planning.

(subscribed)

Kedgi

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 713
All the best for a safe and memorable adventure!

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Bob

It's great to see you are on your way, living the dream.

I used to live in Beach Towers, right across the street from where you took that shot of your new BMW by the Inukshuk in Vancouver.

It's going to be fun to be at home reading your ride report since you were a dedicated reader of my Lobsters to LLamas report of my ride to Argentina this past Winter.

We'll fix you up with some lobster when you get here, no worries! They don't call Shediac, NB the "Lobster Capital of the World" for nothing.

In the meantime, ride safe, enjoy the freedom of not having too much advance planning.

(subscribed)

Kedgi

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336

Dwight:

welcome aboard. Hard to concentrate on work, just dreaming of the open road. This trip is not as adventurous as yours and I don't have to learn Spanish, although I wouldn't mind so I can follow in your wheel tracks.

I'm envious of your recent NL trip. I was there too long ago and all the time I was there I was wishing that I had my bike.

I've never had a Lobster roll so I am really looking forward to it

If you are homesick and want a few photos of Beach Avenue or Denman Street let me know and your wish is my command

bob

Old 06-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
All the best for a safe and memorable adventure!
Cheers,

Poolman:

I've never been to New England or Maine before so I am looking forward to seeing new vistas, and thank you for your good wishes

bob

Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,165
Your going from a wonderful place and heading to a wonderful place. I've been lucky and have spent time riding my BMW in both. Lobster rolls are wonderful. I've watched the price go up over the past 30 years, still worth it tho! Enjoy the trip.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #7
jagred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Nice stable of bikes! It is a shame to leave one at home. Maybe I should fly up and accompany you riding the Wee Strom... just so it doesn't get lonely sitting at home

What a great trip. My family is from Atlantic Canada, and a lobster roll is good stuff! Definitely worth the trip
jagred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
flyrod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Pink crocs

Bess,
If you need a place to stay in southern NH let me know. Room to tent or
spare bedroom. Also room to work on bikes, tools, etc.
Might have to leave the pink crocs in a side case -------
Flyrod
flyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Poolman:

I've never been to New England or Maine before so I am looking forward to seeing new vistas, and thank you for your good wishes

bob
Bob,

If you make it as far south as DC (weekdays) or coastal Delaware/MD (weekends) let me know. I have beer, tools, and beer.

Safe Travels,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post

departure date: July 10th, 2013

Thanks for reading and see you on the road.

bob
Hey Bob:
I know what it's like to start ramping up for a road trip. The excitement level must be palpable by now, the actual salivating will begin in a few days, and the inability to concentrate on anything else will be upon you like a mean Jones by about the 7th.

It sounds like a wonderful trip, and some of the best happenstances occur when you have no set plan. I know you probably won't get as far south as OK, but if you do our couch is available. The temperature has been around 106F the last couple days, so keep the sunscreen handy for your face. I know you're ATTGATT so that should take care of the rest.

Also, Scooterchick would want to warn you to watch out for suicidal dragonflies, since she isn't riding in front of you on this trip. We will watch your progress with interest and look forward to your excellent reportage.

Keep in mind most of the blue roads are posted at 65mph or better (unlike at home) so transiting then is almost as fast as superslab, but a lot more interesting, as you pass the scenery at close range, traffic is lighter and you get to meet folk and pass through towns that time seems to have forgotten, in it's mad headlong rush toward the future.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Your going from a wonderful place and heading to a wonderful place. I've been lucky and have spent time riding my BMW in both. Lobster rolls are wonderful. I've watched the price go up over the past 30 years, still worth it tho! Enjoy the trip.
Marty:

I have never had the opportunity to explore the Eastern Seaboard. It seems so far away, but I have been up and down our West Coast and I thought it was time for a change, to see new vistas, to challenge a new horizon. I will be able to see the sun come out of the ocean, rather than settling into it.

I am looking forward to riding my "R" this year. The engine seems smoother and less busy at highway speeds.

You don't want to know how much our Lobsters are here. I'm looking forward to my first Lobster roll and in ADVrider tradition I will post a photo of it

bob

Old 06-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagred View Post
Nice stable of bikes! It is a shame to leave one at home. Maybe I should fly up and accompany you riding the Wee Strom... just so it doesn't get lonely sitting at home

What a great trip. My family is from Atlantic Canada, and a lobster roll is good stuff! Definitely worth the trip

Jagred:

This is very kind of you to exercise my bike while I am away. Perhaps you could also cycle out the old gas by riding it, and of course I will pay for your gas. I mean, what are friends for.

When we were in NL a few years ago we couldn't find any lobsters but then again we spent most of our time north in Fogo Island. We also went to Bonavista and Burin Peninsulas and those two French Islands

bob

Old 06-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Bess,
If you need a place to stay in southern NH let me know. Room to tent or
spare bedroom. Also room to work on bikes, tools, etc.
Might have to leave the pink crocs in a side case -------
Flyrod
Flyrod:

This is very kind of you. I am not sure of my plan or route yet but for sure if I need a place I will let you know as we get closer.

are you man enough to wear PINK ? we shall see . . . This is how it all started. I used to be self conscious but now I don't even notice the stares I get

bob

Old 06-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Bob,

If you make it as far south as DC (weekdays) or coastal Delaware/MD (weekends) let me know. I have beer, tools, and beer.

Safe Travels,
Poolman:

I am not sure that I would be south of I-80 and I will be riding North from there, BUT never say never and plans can change so I appreciate your offer and I may end up on your doorstep.

At this point I don't even know what roads I'm going to take as we don't have TOLL roads here and I want to avoid them.

Can't wait to get to your part of the Country

bob

Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey Bob:
. . . inability to concentrate on anything else will be upon you like a mean Jones by about the 7th.

I know you probably won't get as far south as OK, but if you do our couch is available.

Also, Scooterchick would want to warn you to watch out for suicidal dragonflies, since she isn't riding in front of you on this trip. We will watch your progress with interest and look forward to your excellent reportage.
Chris:

Oh Oh, you found me. I hide out here more than you can imagine but I lurk more than comment. I thought that I would start an RR this year for my trip as payback for the many hours of enjoyment I receive by reading RR's of others who go to exotic places.

I was hoping to see you two this trip but OK is too far south however, that doesn't mean that you can't come North a bit and meet me half way. I need a dragonfly blocker . . .

welcome aboard and my Spot tracker will be active during my journey

bob