Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Bob meet Kedgi

Bob

i have been thinking today "i'm not doing anything!"l'd like to ride out to Ankeny Iowa and meet you for a night at my friend Jim's place. I don't want to cramp your style. We could meet up there, meet again in NH and then of course meet again in Shediac. Kedgi here likes to ride solo but is not opposed to good company. What do you you think? My buddy Steve will likely go too.

Bike is packed......just lookin' for an excuse to go.

You tell us what you want to do....we"ll make it happen.

db

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
Kedgi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Dwight:

welcome aboard. Hard to concentrate on work, just dreaming of the open road. This trip is not as adventurous as yours and I don't have to learn Spanish, although I wouldn't mind so I can follow in your wheel tracks.

I'm envious of your recent NL trip. I was there too long ago and all the time I was there I was wishing that I had my bike.

I've never had a Lobster roll so I am really looking forward to it

If you are homesick and want a few photos of Beach Avenue or Denman Street let me know and your wish is my command

bob
Ok!

Here is a project....if you are up to the challenge! Don't go out of your way ....But.....one of my best friends is a stunningly beautiful Norwegian Girl named Sasha, she works at the Bayside Lounge (corner of Davie and Denman in the daytime) I want your picture with her. tell her you are friends with Dwight and Angele.

I know I'm giving you a tough mission here, Bob...but an excuse to go meet and take your picture with Sasha...come on!

There is no Adventure Biker alive that would not find this young lady a ten.

I tihnk that every reader that wants to see Sasha should say so!

Having done that, here is mission 2, Ride over to MCL MotorCars at the south end of the Burrard Bridge.....Angele would like a picture of you and George (the Service manager) and you and Phil Levy one of their service advisers and and the gang at MCL's Service Department.

Sasha is adorable and the boys at MCL are pretty cool.

Don't do it if you don't want to but if you do....you'll have fun!

ADV Guys will drool over Sasha....now I have given you an excuse to talk to her.

db

Kedgi screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 06:01 PM
Old 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Ok!

Here is a project....if you are up to the challenge! Don't go out of your way ....But.....one of my best friends is a stunningly beautiful Norwegian Girl named Sasha, she works at the Bayside Lounge (corner of Davie and Denman in the daytime) I want your picture with her. tell her you are friends with Dwight and Angele.

I know I'm giving you a tough mission here, Bob...but an excuse to go meet and take your picture with Sasha...come on!

There is no Adventure Biker alive that would not find this young lady a ten.

I tihnk that every reader that wants to see Sasha should say so!

ADV Guys will drool over Sasha....now I have given you an excuse to talk to her.

db

Dwight:

Ok, your wish is my command

I got home late from doing some errands so I phoned down and she answered the phone so I headed down there. I mean, what a pick up line, but it worked

I walked in not knowing what to expect and then after we met she agreed for our photo together

she said that I could join her in her work area but I thought that she would look better without me

she is so easy to talk to, with a great smile so we decided to have a beverage and a snack

here she is bringing our appetizer plate, notice that she is always smiling. Did I mention that she is very easy to talk to and sincere, and has a nice smile

for those that aren't familiar with Vancouver, it is on the corner of Denman and Davie on the 2nd floor above Starbucks. You can't miss it

It is across the street from the main beach area of English Bay, and a bit farther south is the Inuckshuk which is across the street from the Beach Towers

I also notice that they have vacancies . . . (hint)

It was too late to go to MCL

as they were closed and this is a long weekend

there is no one around. On weekdays I work in Coquitlam and it would be very hard for me to take it down here after work due to horrendous traffic but I can try again next Saturday. It will be my last chance before I leave on my trip

they carry high end cars here, sort of out of my price range

I took many more of Sash but I'm keeping them for myself.

Oh, I forgot that she says hi to both you and Angele

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob

i have been thinking today "i'm not doing anything!"l'd like to ride out to Ankeny Iowa and meet you for a night at my friend Jim's place. I don't want to cramp your style. We could meet up there, meet again in NH and then of course meet again in Shediac. Kedgi here likes to ride solo but is not opposed to good company. What do you you think? My buddy Steve will likely go too.

Bike is packed......just lookin' for an excuse to go.

You tell us what you want to do....we"ll make it happen.

db

Kedgi
Dwight:

sounds good to me. Send me a PM with Jim's address and I could zig and zag my way and hope to not get lost. I don't leave Vancouver until July 10th and I am aiming for Montana and go south to Beartooth Pass and over to Cody.

You could visit with your friend Jim and I have to make it to PA to join up with a couple of other friends. From there we have a weekend planned in Portland, ME where I have lobsters waiting for me.

From there we head to Shediac taking the slow coastal route

bob

Old 06-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In the final days before I depart I have a few loose ends to attend to. I needed to buy Travel Insurance, figure out how my lawn is going to get cut and arrange for all my utility bills to come by email so I can pay on-line.

Then there is the problem of what to bring for a 6 week trip.

I am not a mechanic but I thought I should bring a few tools so I packed them in zip lock bags

Nothing much of consequence, just some; allen keys, zip ties, small ratchet and torx bits

I made a small tool tube and tucked it under the left side behind the sidecase. It is DWV plumbing pipe 2" with a cap and removeable plug.

I rolled up all the bits in the zip lock bags and then put all of them inside another plastic bag and stuffed them down the tube

Here is what it looks like with the plug installed

my tool tube is not that noticeable

with the left side case attached it is nearly invisible except for the metal hose strap which I used to secure it . I went for a test ride today over imperfect roads and the wheel did not come in contact with it

bob

Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #21
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Howdy bob,

Too bad you're going to have to fight all those dragonflies all by yourself, but I'll be right behind you cheering you on all the way.

Here's to bugs in your teeth!
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #22
Kedgi
Banned

Thanks for the photos!

Bob

Thanks for the photos, you work fast! Sasha is looking great! Angele and I miss her a lot. She is one of our best friends in Vancouver.

Don't worry about the Guys at MCL, they are only there on weekdays. I know how hard it is to get from the Coquitlam area to the West End in Vancouver traffic. Angele worked at that dealership, in the Service department for many years. Just having a nice photo of the dealership is great.

Dwight
Old 07-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
Howdy bob,

Too bad you're going to have to fight all those dragonflies all by yourself, but I'll be right behind you cheering you on all the way.

Here's to bugs in your teeth!
Pat:

thank you for your Dragonfly wishes. I only wished that you would lead the way and clear them out of my path

Hope to see you when you come back . . .

bob

Old 07-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Bob

Thanks for the photos, you work fast! Sasha is looking great! Angele and I miss her a lot. She is one of our best friends in Vancouver.

Don't worry about the Guys at MCL, they are only there on weekdays. I know how hard it is to get from the Coquitlam area to the West End in Vancouver traffic. Angele worked at that dealership, in the Service department for many years. Just having a nice photo of the dealership is great.

Dwight

Dwight:

No problem. I had a few hours free and it was just easier to go down there right away. We are not far from the city but it's the parking that is hard to find.

bob

Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #25
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Packing continues

It's hard to say what to bring or what to leave and I am trying to carry less. It's not like I am going to be making gourmet meals on the road but I need to conserve costs and be able to heat up instant food and have a hot beverage or two

so I am bringing my MSR Whisperlite with a small fuel canister. Initially filled with white gas but when empty I will just use pump gas

I am also bringing a small backup alcohol stove. There is a reason for this but it is small and the stove and fuel can be carried inside of my Primus cookware. It is a Vargo titanium triad which is fuel efficient. I have not used it before so I did a quick water boiling test

I made a small windscreen using scrap aluminum pieces and left over brass wire

It is small and packs flat

I managed to fit all of this into half of my right sidecase

along with some; instant coffee, instant oatmeal, instant soup and some emergency granola snack bars. I don't plan on cooking, only heating up water or heating prepared ready to eat food

I still managed to squeeze in more bulky stuff in the other half; such as my tripod and Alite Monarch camp chair

My plan is to use the left sidecase to store my camera(s), chargers and cables and whatever room is left will be for clothes. I should not be far from civilization so I will be able to just buy what I need along the way

I'm not leaving until next week so I have some time to "refine" my stuff

Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #26
Scooterchick
And then what?

Hey Bob,

Looks like you're just about ready to go. I'll be following along..

I'm lovin that little stove....
Old 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #27
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pat:

You should have a small stove in your emergency kit at home anyway. They sell these at MEC . Alcohol stoves are good for use in warmer temperatures.

Haven't you ever wanted to have a hot beverage while out on a ride ?

Leaving next week, wished you could tag along

bob

Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #28
Scooterchick
And then what?

I do have a stove, but it is a two burner that we used on our camping trip. Not nearly the size of yours....:-). yours seems to be the size of a penny stove that I have heard about.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I canít remember a time when I have had a long vacation, especially by myself. I have others to consider so over the years I have been respectful of my vacation time and not to horde it all for myself. So I started off with a weekend and over the years it expanded to a few weekends and then last year I was up to 10 days on my trip to Hellís Canyon, OR.

I am at an age where I should be turned out to pasture to enjoy my final days but I still work due to the economic meltdown of the past few years and I wonder when the day comes when I can be free, whether I will be physically able to undertake a journey of 6 weeks across the continent riding my motorcycle. So my plan is to do it now, while I am able.

checking out my tent

I read many RRís where the OP goes to far away places and have to learn to speak foreign languages, experience breakdowns in the middle of nowhere and I admire them for their self sufficiency for they are truly adventurers in a strange land. By comparison, my adventure will just be a boring ride across the USA A challenge for me but a walk in the park for many of you.

My route is sort of unplanned but I will be taking the Northern States route towards Chicago and then I-80 through PA Photography has been my hobby all my life and I canít resist stopping at all scenic viewpoints along the way

Hope to see some of you on the road

Old 07-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Scooterchick
And then what?

waiting with baited breath.

I'm from Pennsylvania! So, it will be fun to see some pics from my home state. There is a lot of it that I have never seen before.