Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #31
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Adventure happens when you least expect it.

"I read many RR’s where the OP goes to far away places and have to learn to speak foreign languages, experience breakdowns in the middle of nowhere and I admire them for their self sufficiency for they are truly adventurers in a strange land. By comparison, my adventure will just be a boring ride across the USA A challenge for me but a walk in the park for many of you."

Bob

I admire your humility. I don't think a solo ride across NA and back is a walk in the park. I think you will find Adventure at some point. It can happen when you least expect it. Case in point....I rode to Argentina, no flats, rode across NF last week, no flats....then took my wife for a ride to Bouctouche, NB less than half an hour from the house, had just cranked it on a entrance ramp leading to the higway and settled down to a steady 130k when ...Rear Flat, with Angele on the back. Yikes! Turned out to be a sheet metal screw. No drama, the bike never even wobbled. Lucky!

We had been on my way to visit my buddy Steve....Steve to the rescue..(so much for self sufficiency) Steve has a nice little trailer for hauling bikes.

It was much nicer repairing the flat in the shade of my garage rather than in 28C heat on the side of a busy highway. The tire irony of it all is. I had my patch kit and pump but no tire irons as I was still figuring out a way to carry them on the new bike.

Ride safe.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #32
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
It's hard to say what to bring or what to leave and I am trying to carry less. It's not like I am going to be making gourmet meals on the road but I need to conserve costs and be able to heat up instant food and have a hot beverage or two

I am also bringing a small backup alcohol stove. There is a reason for this but it is small and the stove and fuel can be carried inside of my Primus cookware. It is a Vargo titanium triad which is fuel efficient. I have not used it before so I did a quick water boiling test

I made a small windscreen using scrap aluminum pieces and left over brass wire

That little alcohol stove looks sweet! Your fabbed windscreen looks like it will help a lot, too. How did the water boiling test go - it was clearly boiling, but did it take more alcohol than water, for either you or the stove?

Quote:

I read many RR’s where the OP goes to far away places and have to learn to speak foreign languages, experience breakdowns in the middle of nowhere and I admire them for their self sufficiency for they are truly adventurers in a strange land. By comparison, my adventure will just be a boring ride across the USA A challenge for me but a walk in the park for many of you.
+1 to what Kedgi said. Riding for 6 weeks and covering that much ground is most certainly a challenge, no matter what country you're in. Enjoy it!

Quote:

I made a small tool tube and tucked it under the left side behind the sidecase. It is DWV plumbing pipe 2" with a cap and removeable plug.

my tool tube is not that noticeable

with the left side case attached it is nearly invisible except for the metal hose strap which I used to secure it . I went for a test ride today over imperfect roads and the wheel did not come in contact with it

bob
Definitely not that noticeable, especially with those trademark travel shoes anywhere near it! The tool tube looks great and really is in a well hidden location. However, it looks mighty close to the rear wheel to me. I know that it passed a good bumpy road test, but what if you happen to ride straight over an unexpected pothole that really compresses the rear suspension? Do you have a rough vertical measurement from the tire to the tool tube, sort of a clearance dimension? That dim should be greater than or about equal to the total suspension travel less the sag of the bike resting on its own suspension (~1 inch). Alternatively, what if you mount it on the outside of those frame tubes, well above the passenger peg? I know it's more visible there, but maybe the saddlebag could be close enough to the cap to keep it closed unless the bag was off. Just some thoughts...

EDIT - I think so much about tool tube placement because I searched for a good spot on my Transalp, at first thinking that low on the bashplate was perfect. My eyeball assessment in the garage was apparently not very good - I failed the bumpy road test. Which happened to be in a parking lot with spectators, who were soon wondering why I was picking up a black piece of pipe and trying to tuck it into my pants and jacket (I didn't have any bags on at the time). Luckily nothing got damaged, not even the tube since it was just zip-tied in place, but I am generally against having things interfere with my wheels. Ok. Enough about that.

Most importantly, I'm very much looking forward to following your ride across the north! Good luck with the last few days of the shakedown.

Mike (& Jill)

csustewy screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 07:54 AM Reason: added in a reason for my tool tube anxiety
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #33
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Good luck!

Hi Bob,

Looks like you're all set - hope the trip goes well, and I'll be following along!
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #34
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
Hey Bob,

Looks like you're just about ready to go. I'll be following along..

I'm lovin that little stove....
Pat:

Won't be long now. A few loose ends like; travel insurance, getting US funds, contacting credit card companies

I was recommended that stove from person who loves alcohol stoves. I bought it from MEC and I love the small size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
waiting with baited breath.

I'm from Pennsylvania! So, it will be fun to see some pics from my home state. There is a lot of it that I have never seen before.
I didn't know you were from PA. I wished Lawton was closer. I don't think I have time to go that far south

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post

I admire your humility. I don't think a solo ride across NA and back is a walk in the park. I think you will find Adventure at some point. ... Rear Flat, with Angele on the back. Yikes! Turned out to be a sheet metal screw. No drama, the bike never even wobbled. Lucky!

The tire irony of it all is. I had my patch kit and pump but no tire irons as I was still figuring out a way to carry them on the new bike.

Ride safe.

Kedgi
Dwight:

I am lucky to have tubeless tires so I can patch the tire without having to remove it, not that I have practiced but I think I can do it under battlefield conditions. I had Ride-on self sealant installed in my tires so I hope this does the job

If you had your patch kit with you, then nothing would have happened. That's what Murphy said

bob

Old 07-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #36
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
That little alcohol stove looks sweet! Your fabbed windscreen looks like it will help a lot, too. How did the water boiling test go - it was clearly boiling, but did it take more alcohol than water, for either you or the stove?

That dim should be greater than or about equal to the total suspension travel less the sag of the bike resting on its own suspension (~1 inch). Alternatively, what if you mount it on the outside of those frame tubes, well above the passenger peg? I know it's more visible there, but maybe the saddlebag could be close enough to the cap to keep it closed unless the bag was off. Just some thoughts...

EDIT - I think so much about tool tube placement because I searched for a good spot on my Transalp, at first thinking that low on the bashplate was perfect. My eyeball assessment in the garage was apparently not very good - I failed the bumpy road test. Which happened to be in a parking lot with spectators, who were soon wondering why I was picking up a black piece of pipe and trying to tuck it into my pants and jacket (I didn't have any bags on at the time). Luckily nothing got damaged, not even the tube since it was just zip-tied in place, but I am generally against having things interfere with my wheels. Ok. Enough about that.

Most importantly, I'm very much looking forward to following your ride across the north! Good luck with the last few days of the shakedown.

Mike (& Jill)
Mike & Jill:

I'm honoured that you found my humble report. I followed you throughout your whole journey but didn't really comment much but you were the highlight of my mornings. and then you bumped into Radioman

I am loving that little Vargo Titanium stove but you have to be very careful, as you cannot see the flame, but you can feel the heat.

I'm going to take your advice and look at the tool tube placement again. I don't feel comfortable with it being that close to the wheel. I'm thinking now that I should make a small Black Tube to put extra $$ and spare set of keys and make it removable by only using tools

bob

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #37
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
Hi Bob,

Looks like you're all set - hope the trip goes well, and I'll be following along!

JB:

I still have a few days to sort out my packing. Things like chargers, cameras, laptop, external drive and whatever space left will be for clothes.

I did ride by a couple of weeks ago but now I know you were away on your trip

bob

Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #38
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Final weekend of packing my bike. Packing, unpacking, adding and deleting

I had to make room for my rain jacket and bike cover so today I bought another 35L dry bag as I needed room for my Crocs© They don't compress very well

Leaving next Wednesday morning and I will update daily as long as I can find WiFi

For the first 2 days I will slab it to MT as riding to places I have been before doesn't make sense. So I-90 to near Billings then south on 212 to Beartooth Pass. My bike stops at all viewpoints and scenic overlooks. From Cody I haven't thought that far ahead yet . . .

Old 07-07-2013, 05:31 AM   #39
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Very unique....

Wow! Now those are some nice looking Crocs! There's something about that color that really catches your eye! The bike isn't bad either as well as the RR so thanks for that.......

Gary
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #40
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gary:

thanks for following along. Excitement is building. Still planning to leave on Wednesday.

Had to attend a Celebration of Life on Saturday. This person was only 57 and had a heart attack. You can never plan for the future so you have to turn those plans and dreams into action NOW.

That's what I am doing. I'm trying to turn my boring, routine life, into a few weeks of adventure and self sufficiency. I want to see what's on the other side of those mountains, ride on a road so straight you can see to infinity. See the weather coming from 100 miles and watch the sun rise from out of the Ocean.

Flatistan, here I come . . .

Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #41
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Good luck!

Bob,

Good luck on your trip. You're so right, it's best to do what we can now. My brother-in-law's brother had a fatal heart attack when he was right around 40 yrs. old if you can imagine that and no health problems before either!

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 04:17 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #42
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Good luck, Bob!
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
Good luck, Bob!
Thanks for you good wishes, and your call. I forgot my phone at home today otherwise I would have phoned you back

I've run out of time and I leave in the morning. See you in 6 weeks.

bob

Old 07-10-2013, 03:13 AM   #44
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Have a good ride!

Bob

You must be pretty excited this morning!

You have a group of fans who will be following you along the way and looking forward to seeing you when you arrive here in Shediac. Have a great trip!

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 AM   #45
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Enjoy the ride!

Have fun on the road and ride safe. We look forward to seeing your next update!

Best wishes,
Mike & Jill
csustewy is offline   Reply With Quote