User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #46
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
day 1 Vancouver BC to Spokane, WA

Everytime I head south I leave before 6am and get caught up in the Seattle Gridlock. I thought that this time I would be smarter and leave later. It takes around 3 hours to get there so I was thinking that I would be "behind" the commuter traffic if I left at 7am

It takes me around 45 minutes to reach the USA border crossing and there is a small line

The collapsed bridge near Mt Vernon has now been replaced with this

I hope it stays in place until I get to the other side

I don't really like the interstates but I have to get moving to places I have not been before so I rush past all these familiar places

I notice this sign and it is making me hungry

but I am not sure how good the food is as I don't notice any cars around

It's been in the mid 90's all day and I am getting super hot so I slip out of my riding gear to contemplate my next move

I eventually stop for a beverage and continue on my way to Vantage where I stop for a few photos of the Columbia Gorge

of course I also have to snap a photo of my bike

notice anything unusual in the background ? Here's a closer look

It's the Wild Horse Monument near George, WA (click here for info)

I am finally settled into my home for the night. Yep, Pink Crocs arrived too

and here is my work station

hope it cools down a bit tomorrow

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #47
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Bob

You must be pretty excited this morning!

You have a group of fans who will be following you along the way and looking forward to seeing you when you arrive here in Shediac. Have a great trip!

Kedgi
Dwight:

It'll take a day or two to get into a groove. With your long trip to SA you know more than me but it was sad leaving home and knowing I have to fend for myself but it was my plan to be more self reliant. I thought I had my bike packed perfectly with every space accounted for but as I was digging and looking for what I needed I messed it all up. So now my stuff is scattered everywhere

bob

Old 07-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #48
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Have fun on the road and ride safe. We look forward to seeing your next update!

Best wishes,
Mike & Jill

M & J:

it feels a bit different being on the non-reading end. Now the pressure is on. I intend to update daily as long as I have WiFi

I don't need to see anything in WA, OR or ID so I am taking the fast route for another day and then I head south to Beartooth Pass and Cody, WY where I will slow down for a day or so

So far interaction with tourists and other strangers at viewpoints and overlooks has been going good. I guess I don't look threatening

and thank you for following along

Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #49
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
A Groove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Dwight:

It'll take a day or two to get into a groove. With your long trip to SA you know more than me but it was sad leaving home and knowing I have to fend for myself but it was my plan to be more self reliant. I thought I had my bike packed perfectly with every space accounted for but as I was digging and looking for what I needed I messed it all up. So now my stuff is scattered everywhere

bob
I know exactly what you mean, you do get in a groove. I try and force myself to put everything back exactly where I had it to avoid digging for stuff, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Nice photo of the Columbia River Valley and the Horses.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #50
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today was pedal to the metal day. One more boring day on the I-90 trying to cross Montana

I wanted to leave by 8am but I started late. I was up early enough but then I had to pack up my campsite and I'm not proficient yet. I was fiddling with my stove so I could make a mug of instant oatmeal

I bought a new helmet with the built in visor but yesterday I couldn't use it as I forgot to remove the label. I was heading into the sun this morning and when I moved the lever to lower the sunshade, then I remembered what I forgot to remove yesterday

I didn't want my whole day to look like this but I needed one more fast day to get to the good roads . I was looking at the names of all the small towns as I passed, wondering which one I should take and when "Historic Wallace" showed up I made my exit

I stop at the information booth and load up with a handful of official state maps (OR, WY, ND, MT, ID) and meander down to the historic town

I was riding up and down the streets looking at the old buildings and thought to myself that this would be a good place to spend a few hours, but not today. My plan was just to leave when I noticed this sign

There was another bike parked in front.

I went inside and looked at all the period "accessories" and clothes, many of which were for sale

the town seems full of collectibles

many are decorated as they would have looked in the 50's

the last 100 miles to Bozeman was challenging with huge gusts of wind, which was making me make unplanned lane changes

and I was rushing to get away from the storm

Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #51
luckychucky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Colorful Trip

Nice pics, good-looking bike too! I like your office, I'm sure the view out your corner office will change as you move up and over in longitude and latitude. Nice views keep them coming and be safe.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #52
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post

I was riding up and down the streets looking at the old buildings and thought to myself that this would be a good place to spend a few hours, but not today. My plan was just to leave when I noticed this sign

I went inside and looked at all the period "accessories" and clothes, many of which were for sale
Now that it's a museum, I guess fewer things are for sale, huh?

Glad that your super slab days are coming to a close, but looks like you found some interesting ways to break it up. And you will be much more proficient at your camp breakdown in no time.

Keep the updates coming!
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #53
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
I remember when Chris and I stopped in Wallace. It's a cute little town, but not much going on.

Safe travels, Bob

"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #54
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 234
Crocs in the wind

Hey Bob:
We have found that riding in the wind in the Great Plains is different than in the Great North Wet where the wind comes in gusts. The wind here is fairly steady so you can ride at a decent angle and maintain.....You should see Scooterchick banked over and rocking down the staightaway at 120kph. Hope you like the heat..it will be about 105F. today

Looking forward to your updates
Old 07-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #55
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

day 3 Beartooth Pass

This morning I started packing earlier

and decided to grab a good breakfast for a change but I didn't see anything worth stopping for and suddenly I was entering the highway. Nearly 3 hours later I took exit 408 and headed to Red Lodge for fuel and a beverage break. It's an interesting place if you are a tourist and want to buy souveniers. Lots of bikes around because of the car show next week

Yes, Beartooth Pass was open. The last time we were in Yellowstone NP we weren't aware of this road and I've been wanting to come back here, ever since

It's hard to snap photos since there are no shoulders, and no very few places to safely pull over so I use my one-handed while riding method using my left hand, on a right handed camera. I don't understand why a camera compang wouldn't make a left handed model for riders ?

It's not the safest way to snap a photo while trying to navigate curves going at speed but I make sure no one is behind me then I slow down a bit

I nearly wiped out on the switchback trying to enter this gravel overlook. I was leaned over in my turn then my front wheel rolled over a large rock in the middle of the road. Lucky thing it only caught the edge . . .

I wanted a photo my myself too

There is a viewpoint at the top of Beartooth Pass

There were lots of bikes out today, mainly Harleys

I also managed to squeeze in the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway

It's a nice road through rolling hills through differing terrain

The road is not that great with lots of patchwork, ie tar snakes and you can feel them on the corners

Yet other sections are newly paved

I think you would like this road. Lots of switchbacks on the Eastern End near Cody

Tonight I am staying in Cody, WY Here is the famous Buffalo Bill's Irma Hotel

of course my bike wanted to get into the photo too

Old 07-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #56
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckychucky View Post
Nice pics, good-looking bike too! I like your office, I'm sure the view out your corner office will change as you move up and over in longitude and latitude. Nice views keep them coming and be safe.
Luckychucky:

It was very hot today in Cody and I hear that Sturgis is even hotter. Thank you for following along. Lots of photos to come, I love to stop fior photos

bob

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #57
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Now that it's a museum, I guess fewer things are for sale, huh?

Glad that your super slab days are coming to a close, but looks like you found some interesting ways to break it up. And you will be much more proficient at your camp breakdown in no time.

Keep the updates coming!
The plan is to take the slab again until I get to PA, then it will be secondary roads from there all the way to Portland, Maine. I need to get past Flatistan and around Chicago "fast". I may have to head south to less busy roads and to avoid the toll roads

bob

Old 07-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #58
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchick View Post
I remember when Chris and I stopped in Wallace. It's a cute little town, but not much going on.

Safe travels, Bob

Pat:

I got good vibes. business are really trying to attact customers. Lots of shops to browse and many have been updated. They even have a mine museum and guided tour buses

bob

Old 07-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #59
bESS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey Bob:
We have found that riding in the wind in the Great Plains is different than in the Great North Wet where the wind comes in gusts. The wind here is fairly steady so you can ride at a decent angle and maintain.....You should see Scooterchick banked over and rocking down the staightaway at 120kph. Hope you like the heat..it will be about 105F. today

Looking forward to your updates
Chris:

You can keep the heat. This morning it was chilly at the top of Beartooth Pass. There was still snow up there. Then we we came down to Cody it was in the high 80's

Dawdled too long today and getting behind in posting

bob

Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #60
Libertynh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
New England Traveler

Did sorta of an abbreviated cheaters version of the reverse last year. Glacier, Yellowstone, Roosevelt ...Trailered out though cuz needed to bring two bikes as my wife flew out and only had 10 days. Interested to hear your impression of our flattened out peaks. Generally the roads near the ski areas up this way offer some good riding. VT especially has a knack for letting a road go from pavement to dirt without much warning so you probably will see a little gravel but the R12R will handle it just as well as my R11R does I am sure. Watch out for deer in rural PA and NY. Know what you mean about the report. Really hard to post even our alps trip next to 800 day RTW adventures. Remember that many of us also enjoy hearing about journeys of a more broadly attainable level. Already enjoying following along. Thank you.
Libertynh is offline   Reply With Quote