Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #16
Adventcha UnCut
Wannabe

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
We also have - Audi ... purchasing (or not) from the internet, where to stay, trucks ...

Leave the thread alone. If it does not interest you, don't open it. Many threads I don't open ... in fact most of them. May be 10% of the Aus, Airhead and random of the 'new threads' page.

Yep. I do look at the roads and scenery as well as the racing of the tour. Same on the Dackar .. the scenery there can be amazing!
Leave this thread alone Mods - As already stated, enough Aussies with a chance to keep it separate from the other shite. Most of the roads le Tour traverses in the EU would qualify as ADV riding in those countries anyway.

Followed the '07 event on roadies 'till we worked out that you saw more of France in a pub, with the locals, on the TV (traffic jams, endless waiting etc.) and went back in '11 avoiding le Tour and saw even more. It is a fantastic country that I will ride on a motorbike one day - as McArdle has done so please leave this thread going.

Cheers,

ADV UNCuT,
Adventcha UnCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,847
Evening all,

Stage 1 is now underway on the Island of Corisa. (I wonder if this thread will get the encouragement of 50+pages re the State Of Origin?)

Would have loved to been there this year, but I'm headed east.

Anyone thinking of following the Le Tour, here are my tips.

Do it on a m/c or bike. As soon as the route is published, book accomodation, you can do it yourself, which I did, but a good travel agent is unbeatable.

All towns/villages where the route goes through are locked down up to 2 days before the bikes come through except for bikes and m/c's.

You can ride into a village,park the bike anywhere, all cafe's set up tables and chairs on the footpaths, sit and have a meal and a drink, watch the riders whistle pass, then get back on the bike, and if you know where you are going, be at the end.

I have done this quite a few times both here in the Tour Down Under, Vic Sun Tour and the Le Tour.

Enjoy

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

What an amazing finish

That is the tour

Cheers Chris

Old 06-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Looks like they need to impose 'rules' on support vehicles as well as the bikes

Ruddy terrible (confusing) for the riders.

The do defiantly need to do some thinking on the 'safety barriers' - those plastic things would tend to catch bars and pedals rather than let them slip bye?

Warin screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 07:54 PM
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Was a great night first flicking between the Wallabies V Lions and Moto3 then between leTour and MotoGP AND all on free-to-air!

Shambolic then spectacular finish to the stage with the Orica team bus caught under the finish line kite and the decision to finish at the 3 km mark then changing back once they shifted the bus - the run in was great to watch if a bit painful to watch for a former sprinter. Good to see BMC trying to keep Evans safe and Sky look like being able to start tonight with a full squad. Not sure about Cav though - looked like one of his own team caused the big crash and he could be short a number of team mates.

There are a couple of options to follow the race. If you want to ride a bicycle then the organised tour groups - with someone like Bikestyle - are a good introduction. The guides include ex-pro riders along with some very capable amateur riders. Everything is done for you including bike hire if you want, mechanics, guides, hotels, transfers etc etc etc though it is a case of paying for what you get. They can usually get you very close to the finish and one of my mates sat with Stuey's wife at a stage finish.

McC's advice to those keen to organise their own tour is good. Suss out the route as soon as it is announced then you can book pretty much everything via the web - just be a bit cautious with hotel descriptions and paying deposits.

If you want to ride a motorcycle you will find you can hire a pushie at many bike shops and ride parts of the stages either before they close the route or immediately after the promotional caravan, riders, team cars and team buses pass. On the pushie you can get very close to stage finishes and you get get in through closed off parts of villages. In 2006 we rode the last few kilometres into Vitre about an hour ahead of the race and got almost to the point where Stegemans released Robbie for "the walk in the park" stage win.

You actually see bugger all of the race and, even on a climb, the peloton is past you in seconds. My advice is to book maybe four or five locations over the three weeks. Get out early and pedal parts of the stages around that base then find a bar to drink beer and watch on live TV with the locals.

Even better if you are travelling by motorcycle - you can get to multiple locations on many of the stages even from a distant base.

Aim to get to at least one Grand Depart, to get on the race route well ahead of the publicity caravan and see how you go fighting the locals to collect all the promo gear and samples that are thrown from the vehicles in the caravan, and get to a couple of sprint finishes.

On my last trip a couple of mates and I went over for four weeks and booked bases in Paris, Brittany, near Bordeaux and in the Alps and travelled between those on the TGV. OK with bikes boxed up on those trains but the smaller regional ones are pretty crowded in the summer holidays. After the tour finished we went up to Lille and explored many of the spring one day classic courses.

Next time I reckon I would go for longer - much longer - and pick up a GS somewhere and would try to do a week at the TT first before heading to France. I would have some bases booked in advance especially a couple with good access to wine regions but I reckon I might camp out with the crowds on one mountain stage just for the fun.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMess View Post
Next time I reckon I would go for longer - much longer - and pick up a GS somewhere and would try to do a week at the TT first before heading to France. I would have some bases booked in advance especially a couple with good access to wine regions but I reckon I might camp out with the crowds on one mountain stage just for the fun.
Sounds like a good plan. I'd do 2.5 weeks on the Isle of man - practice week, race week and a few days after (they do some more races - MX type type stuff after TT week and you get to avoid the ferry crowds).

You may also find a HU meeting on about 2 weeks after the TT. Then spain, pyrenees, france for the tour... Morocco later?
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #22
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Sounds like a good plan. I'd do 2.5 weeks on the Isle of man - practice week, race week and a few days after (they do some more races - MX type type stuff after TT week and you get to avoid the ferry crowds).

You may also find a HU meeting on about 2 weeks after the TT. Then spain, pyrenees, france for the tour... Morocco later?
That is what I did in 2011, but I had 6 months.

Plan on a minimum 3 months.

Shipped the bike over in early April initially into Turkey, but had to get it reshipped onto England(dislocated my shoulder the day we were to pick up the bikes in Ismir)

Headed through the UK to get to Ireland for the NorthWest 200, which is run the week before the 1st week of practice at the IOM, after the racing wandered over to Germany for a friends wedding, and a week of house minding while they went on their honeymoon. Then picked up the last half of the Le Tour.

After the Tour spent the next month trying to ride every pass in the Alps, and never had a day of rain.

Then made my way back to England to have the bike shipped home in September.

Rode 35,000kms and had a ball.

Chris

Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 AM   #23
Miss Jane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 1,943
Might need a bit of time to do this, but .......

Go rock climbing in Spain for a month, motorcycle to France for The Tour, then ride back home via Russia and the Silk Road. Might as well do the Simpson on the way.
Miss Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #24
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
What an amazing finish

That is the tour

Cheers Chris
I'd call it something different...

le tour does not need that rubbish
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #25
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Might need a bit of time to do this, but .......

Go rock climbing in Spain for a month, motorcycle to France for The Tour, then ride back home via Russia and the Silk Road. Might as well do the Simpson on the way.
G/day Jane

Me rock climbing? I would need a rope the size of what they moor ships with
But funny you mention Russia, a mate and I have spoken about doing that, on a couple of 2wd Ural outfits. Buy them in Eastern Europe and ride through Russia, then ship over to Alaska and ride down to the bottom of Sth America.

Now that would be something.

PS Dorthe says hi to all her Aussie friends, spoke to her about 2 hours ago, she loves her new KTM 640. One of the few people who can sit on a 640 and have both feet on the ground!

Chris

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #26
McCardigan OP
happy Budda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
I'd call it something different...

le tour does not need that rubbish
Huh?

Do you mean a bus stuffed on steriods?

I really don't know what you are referring to.

To me it was an amazing finish, no matter which way you look at it. Drama, crashes, confusion, it had it all.

Chris

Old 06-30-2013, 03:20 AM   #27
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCardigan View Post
Huh?

Do you mean a bus stuffed on steriods?

I really don't know what you are referring to.

To me it was an amazing finish, no matter which way you look at it. Drama, crashes, confusion, it had it all.

Chris
Bus
ferals5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #28
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure what was more difficult - getting the Orica Greenedge bus under the finish kite or Greipel trying to fit through the eye of the needle, clashing with Tony Martin, and bringing everyone down.

Reckon the bus had a better chance!
Old 07-01-2013, 05:59 AM   #29
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice to see Orica get a man in the break tonight and Simon Clark is picking up mountain points. Cadel looking comfortable on these climbs but Rogers looking OK working for Contador as is Porte for Froome.

Very keen to get to Corsica now - never been but the mountain scenery looks superb.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #30
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 882
Well done Orica GreenEDGE and Simon Gerrans picks up a stage win at Corsica. Great stuff.
Big effort by Simon Clarke, almost got over the top first.
Good onya fella's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: