User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Replaced fuel pump points, bike won't run

Need some help tracing what my issue is.

A little important info: Bike is 2005 950A, 45,000 miles or so. Has ran fine until a few weeks ago it started to act like it was going to stall while riding. The symptoms, in my mind at least, started off road on some fast semi-rough forest svc roads. It never stalled but acted like it was going to.

I camped that night, and the next day I rode down pavement back home. It stalled twice and down the mountain it acted like it wanted to cut out several times. I never lost electrical power (I watched my display while it cut out and it never flickered). It felt like the sidestand safety switch was malfunctioning (mine has been removed, wires were wrapped with electrical tape... yesterday I have soldered them properly and tucked away).

SOOOO.... I gave myself a headache reading about fuel pumps. I checked mine and yup my points were toast (I think I was still on the original pump at 45k miles). I got some new points from the shop, put it back together correctly on the OEM pump, and reassembled. This was yesterday.

I took my time to make sure I did everything right, I did not even have a beer while doing this, lol.

I go to start it up, and right away twice it killed the electrcials. It acted like a fuse was blown so I one by one checked them all til I got to the main fuse. They were both good but once I wiggled them around the bike regained the electrical system. This has now happened another 2 or 3 times. I checked the area around the battery to make sure everything is tight and it is. I should add that about a month ago I had to put a new battery in, and ended up with a WalMart battery that was a little smaller physically than the OEM. I did shim it with some rubber sheets so it wouldn't bounce around.

Anyway, it did fire up after wiggling the main fuse and ran for about a minute with some popping out the exhaust, before dying, and now I cannot get it restarted.

WHAT I'VE DONE SINCE THEN:
  • I tested the fuel pump and can hear the 'plop' after 5 seconds. I cannot hear the usual sounds the fuel pump used to make after turning the ignition on. I'm thinking this means the pump is actually bad, too, and it wasn't just the points. Would this make sense? Also, if I put the hose from the petcock on the pump and leave the outlet open on the pump, and turn the bike on, I expected fuel to shoot out of the pump onto my garage floor (LOL) but it doesn't. I thought maybe that would tell me if the pump was...uh... pumping.
  • I rechecked the battery to make sure its tight and it is. But I think my Battery Tender cable is causing loss of electrical power. When I wiggled that cord after my bike lost juice, it would regain juice. So I think for now I will remove that cable to take it out of the equation.
  • I do have a new Airtex fuel pump sitting here (it came with the bike when I bought it from the PO). I didn't really want to use it, though, because I don't want to have to remember to shut the petcock when I turn the bike off. I will never remember to do that. Would it be worth it to cut my stock wires and fit this pump just to see if that solves the issue? I was trying to avoid cutting wires if I didn't have to.
  • Should I hear the fuel pump make more noise than just that 'plop' after 5 seconds?

WTF am I missing? I am at a loss. The hardest part of this whole thing is I am working laying down a concrete floor . I'm going to buy a motorcycle lift today whether my wife gives me shit or not!

THANKS FOR THE HELP AND SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST!!!!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,273
Check to see if the fuel pump is actually putting out fuel.
Last week in Colorado, a friends SE would quit running when hot. We had just replaced the seemingly good points he put on last year with a DRBean kit a month ago and it was fine. However when it was getting very hot in the thin air, it would die.

Some high desert side of the road blazing hot sun diagnosis showed that even though the pump was making noise, it wasn't putting out enough fuel. Plumbed in a Facet and it ran great the rest of the trip.

So if you want a DR Bean kit I know a guy that's going to get rid of one cheap
Old 07-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
Check to see if the fuel pump is actually putting out fuel.
Last week in Colorado, a friends SE would quit running when hot. We had just replaced the seemingly good points he put on last year with a DRBean kit a month ago and it was fine. However when it was getting very hot in the thin air, it would die.

Some high desert side of the road blazing hot sun diagnosis showed that even though the pump was making noise, it wasn't putting out enough fuel. Plumbed in a Facet and it ran great the rest of the trip.

So if you want a DR Bean kit I know a guy that's going to get rid of one cheap

Thanks for the reply. I stepped away for awhile this morning and had my coffee and breakfast and thought about it some more. I wonder if I have the same issue your buddy had. My pump makes the noise but no fuel comes out when I hook the petcock line into the pump, leaving the other end open. I would think fuel should come out of that outlet but I get nothing, even though the pump makes the aforementioned 'plop'. Its all I can think of. Nothing else is making much sense.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
I have a back-up pump off my '07SM . . . Points almost gone . . . New points ETA monday. You are welcome to try it before ordering a new pump.

It has the rubber mount on it . . . Since they are difficult to pry off. I am 1 hour from you.

Pumps will only plop plop plop steady for 5 seconds at a time when you turn on the ignition . . . Unless it has enough fuel in the carbs . . . Then it plops less.

My SM points at 8,000 miles:

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 07-14-2013 at 08:02 AM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Thanks McMann, I am waiting on Coates to get back to me, I think he has a good spare OEM on his shelf and he is 5 minutes from me.

My points were in bad shape, too.

I'm thinking the pump itself might be broke. If Coates no longer has his, I might take you up on that offer.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,430
If you have further electrical issues . . . wiggle the harness up near the ignition switch and steering head while moving the bars back and forth. Sometimes, the open or short is internal to the wiring bundle and not redily visible. The ignition harness problems sometimes aren't replicable until the wire bundle is wiggled substantially.

Hopefully, the electrical problem was due to the battery connecters etc.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 03:33 PM
mcmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Ok well my bike still won't start but I do have updates.

First thing first. the wires on the positive battery lead were in fact loose. I had shimmed the battery nut on the terminal with another old battery nut so I could make contact with the bolt easier, a trick I've used many times in the past. Only, this time the 2nd nut stopped progress of the bolt, causing the bolt to appear tight but the wires were a little loose. Which is why I kept losing electrical power.

But the bike still won't start. I've tested power to the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay works (hooked directly to the battery and could hear it click). I hooked the fuel pump up and turned the gas on. The pump IS in fact sending gas up the line as it should. I know this because after it wouldn't start again, I pulled the pump back off the lines to check for gas and both lines did have gas in them.

I'm now at a total loss as to why my bike won't start. I'm about to give up and bring it to the dealer, which I really didn't want to do. But I'm getting tired of trying to diagnose it. In my mind it makes no sense why it won't start.

Anyone got any other ideas? The only other variable in place is the sidestand safety switch which I disabled and soldered the wires together. I double checked it too. And anyway, I don't think it'd stop my bike from starting so long as the bike is in neutral, right?

GRRRR.