User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #16
lavrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
http://www.metricmcc.com/

10 minutes from my work. They often have a little bit of an attitude for 1,2,3 piece orders. If they have something that would work, I could pick it up and drop it in the mail for ya.

If you can find something in their online catalog and get a part number it may be better that calling out of the blue.
lavrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
happyclam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavrider View Post
http://www.metricmcc.com/

10 minutes from my work. They often have a little bit of an attitude for 1,2,3 piece orders. If they have something that would work, I could pick it up and drop it in the mail for ya.

If you can find something in their online catalog and get a part number it may be better that calling out of the blue.
Thanks Lavrider, nice offer. I'll do some research. Called 2 bolt companies today with no luck. Threaded rod may be only option unless i go overseas, at which point i may just order the crash bars i really wanted anyway., but I'm not giving up yet.....
happyclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
I absolutely would NOT EVER use threaded rod as a motor mount bolt.
why?

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
happyclam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Search continues......

Finally found a 400mm @ metric tool & supply,(thanks for the lead), however it was the black type with high tensle strength but no anti-corrosive qualities. A few companies have stainless all thread but the tensle strength is questionable,(it seems). The zinc plated alloy all thread nobody carries, but can be ordered,(2-4 weeks). I think that's what most strong bolts are made of, and what I probably need. I can't remember if I can order the bolts directly from over seas, ( it may have been to long of a lead time/ too expensive?) Anyway, question is... Will stainless allthread be strong enough for a main engine bolt? It goes between the 2 cylinders that seem to hang from it as it attaches to the frame.V-twin 650 strom, if it helps to visualize. Did I mention the bolt probably gets pretty hot.......Anybody need any crash bars?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #20
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyclam View Post
Will stainless allthread be strong enough for a main engine bolt?
It will not be as strong. No-one can tell you if it will be strong enough. You also introduce the potential for thread galling. If it were mine, I'd rather have cad or zinc, but I'd do the black oxide high strength item over the stainless one. A light coating of anti-sieze might be sufficient to assure that corrosion does not get to the threads.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,393
^exactly! I would not want to use all thread, and stainless is not a good choice here. You know, It would be easy to weld two bolts together, end to end to get the exact length you need. I end up TIG welding up super long drill bits and taps all the time, and they never break. Let me know if I can help you here.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #22
happyclam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
It will not be as strong. No-one can tell you if it will be strong enough. You also introduce the potential for thread galling. If it were mine, I'd rather have cad or zinc, but I'd do the black oxide high strength item over the stainless one. A light coating of anti-sieze might be sufficient to assure that corrosion does not get to the threads.
I agree, leaning towards the black oxide with some grease, anti-seize, and maybe paint the head, then use zinc nut? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #23
happyclam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
^exactly! I would not want to use all thread, and stainless is not a good choice here. You know, It would be easy to weld two bolts together, end to end to get the exact length you need. I end up TIG welding up super long drill bits and taps all the time, and they never break. Let me know if I can help you here.
Hey Jonny, Never thought of that, but I've never welded,(yet), either.Do you think 2 bolts welded together would be straight enough and as strong as needed? It kinda makes me uneasy, but i don't know anything about weld strength. I can put nuts on both ends, so that's not an issue. I think the torqe is like 55lbs.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #24
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,184
If you want to cobble something up, instead of welding it would be a lot simpler to just get a 4" X 1/2" bolt and a 12mm die and grind or file off the threads and cut new. You are bolting aluminum and the cheapest steel is still going to be stronger than the most expensive aluminum on your bike so I wouldn't worry about it.
GreaseMonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #25
happyclam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

will order 400mm tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Thanks concours, They had a 400mm In the black high strength. Will order tomorrow and i'll just paint the heads. Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #26
concours
Banned

Oddometer: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyclam View Post
Thanks concours, They had a 400mm In the black high strength. Will order tomorrow and i'll just paint the heads. Jeff
YW, these guys are my go-to guys, I've been fixing European and Asian machinery for decades. Thses kids ROCK.
concours is offline   Reply With Quote