User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Calabogie Boogie Dual Sport Ride Sept 7 & 8

The (BMA) Bytown Motorcycle Association's Calabogie Boogie once again is offering awesome GPS Dual Sport rides in conjunction with its famous 2 day trail ride. Anyone with a blue plated bike is invited to enjoy these carefully prepared rides that offer less aggressive alternatives to the single track trail rides. The D-S rides start at the same place as the trail rides and we will meet up with the trail riders for lunch and after the ride to swap stories. There is also a banquet on Saturday night with guest speakers and great food.

DUAL SPORT (BLUE PLATE REQUIRED) - SCENIC TOURS
These rides take you through picturesque farms in the highlands where the roads are seldom straight. Scenic tours are ideal for riders who want to stop and take a few pictures along the way. Since these rides are also appealing to some the faster riders on bigger bikes, we have added extension options to the scenic tours to keep the fun from ending too soon.

DUAL SPORT (BLUE PLATE REQUIRED) - ADVENTURE TOURS

For more aggressive Dual Sport riders who prefer to concentrate on the ground in front of them rather than the scenery around them, we recommend the adventure tours. These rides share much of the twisty, fun dirt roads with the scenic tours but have some power line and ATV trails thrown in to make it just a bit more challenging.

TRAIL RIDE (GREEN OR BLUE PLATE REQUIRED) - (INCLUDES ORANGE, PINK AND WHITE TRAILS)
All are welcome to ride the gnarly single tracks trails that Calabogie is famous for, however we do recommend smaller trail bikes for this arrowed event. Your entry fee works for both dual sport or trail ride so you can even do a little of both if you like.

For more information follow this thread and see the web page at http://bma1.ca/sept--calabogie-boogie-ds-p16.php
'08 CRF100F (no trail too tight)

TDY screwed with this post 07-05-2013 at 01:12 PM
TDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Accomodations

Reminder: Unless you are local to Calabogie you may wish to secure accommodations for Friday and Saturday night. There is primitive camping available in the field at the start location but there is no booking in advance for this just first come fist serve.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,377
Looking forward to seeing what the adventure tour has to offer this year...was a blast last year!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a few surprises for this year but it's getting harder and harder to find anything better than what was on last year's ride. Then again it doesn't need to be much different since it all worked pretty well.

One reveal for you, Sunday is no longer a shortened day rushing to get back to Calabogie (unless you want it to be). I have arranged a special lunch stop at the Moose on the Beach restaurant at the Opeongo Mountain Resort on Clear Lake http://www.omresort.ca where the meal ticket you get at sign-in will get you a great range of lunch options:
Main Entree
Choices: Chicken fingers w/ dipping sauce

Grilled or breaded Chicken on a bun

Mountain Burger w/ the works

Mushroom Swiss Burger

Sides: Soup, salad or french fries

Drinks: Coffee, tea or soft drink

Dessert: Small ice cream
After lunch you can head back to Calabogie or keep riding the fun stuff for a couple more hours. I know what I'll chose
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
Didn't make last years Boogie, but the year before I ended up riding the trail ride on the x-challenge. I think there were four of us that started with only myself and another guy finishing the days course. It was a great fun! A bit tough on some of the tighter and steeper sections but nothing that wasn't doable on a 650. I definitely want to make it for this years ride. I'll look into the accommodations....getting too old for all this camping shit.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
TE 450 Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
I have done the DS ride the last two years. This is one of the best DS rides of the year. Good people and a great ride.

Unfortunately I am going to be out of vacation time before the ride this year.

Randy
1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Trials
TE 450 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,429
Hoping to attend but will depend on work.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the endorsement Randy. Let me know when you can make it up this way and I'll find some fun roads and trails for you to ride.

The pre-riding for the event has officially started. Yesterday we rode the day-2 morning route and I tried a Mountain Burger with the works. Yummy!

There has been more road work "improving" parts of the route since I was on it last. I don't know who pays for all the gravel but I sure wish they would stop dumping it on my favorite dirt roads.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 402
The Boogie is one of the top memorable events each season!

If time permits I'll be there with a light bike for the nasty stuff... or if the KTM is not ready the XRR will be a blast on the DS trail. I followed some of TDY's local ride suggestions earlier this year and they were phenomenal for the 650. If any ADVrider is sitting on the fence on this one... jump in with both feet. It will be a great weekend of riding.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
TE 450 Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDY View Post
Thanks for the endorsement Randy. Let me know when you can make it up this way and I'll find some fun roads and trails for you to ride.

The pre-riding for the event has officially started. Yesterday we rode the day-2 morning route and I tried a Mountain Burger with the works. Yummy!

There has been more road work "improving" parts of the route since I was on it last. I don't know who pays for all the gravel but I sure wish they would stop dumping it on my favorite dirt roads.

Here is a link to some photos and ride report from the 2011 DS ride.
http://www.odsc.on.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18263

I'm trying to figure out how I can get a few extra days vacation to do it this year.

Randy
1976 Yamaha TY175 Trials
1974 Suzuki RL 250 Trials
TE 450 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 450 Pilot View Post
I'm trying to figure out haw I can get a few extra days vacation to do it this year.

Randy
Quit?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Q. How many hours would you like to ride each day of the Boogie?

I'm planning the Sunday ride now, at present it's looking like 3.5 hours before lunch then 1 hour of fun pavement back to the start location. Or about 2 hours to get back if you ride the extender option (recommended) starting at the gas station in Dacre. The extender adds 40 km mostly dirt and gravel. These times are at a moderate pace, there will be faster and slower riders.
The ride starts at about 9:45 so if lunch is 45 minutes long that puts the end of the ride at about 3:00, (4:00 with the extender option). Is this too late?

These ride times are assuming good weather. I'll switch the tracks around at the last minute if it's cold and rainy on Sunday. We could just use the return ride with the extender backwards to lunch (2h +) and the return without the extender to get back to the start (1h +). That leaves lots of time for coffee or hot chocolate at the Moose on the Beach.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gps

BTW, you don't need a GPS to enjoy this ride. Although it is a GPS guided ride and the tracks are easy to follow you could chose to follow one of our lead rider volunteers and leave the navigation to us.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Locked & Loaded

Our Fearless Leader (well he is a little scared of the Demon Rum) has booked the cottage and we are set. Last year the rains chased us off the single track and we made it to lunch like a bunch of drown rats. After lunch we weren't really having that much fun in the monsoon so we took the direct route back. Once the bike was put away for the day liberal amounts of alcohol was applied for medicinal purposes.
Sunday we did the Dual Sport ride and since Paul & I were the only two with GPS we took the lead. In between the two of us were able to stay out of downtown Ottawa.
I'm hoping for better weather this year since the older I get the faster I was and still want to play on the single track. If conditions are not ideal then my lack of properly functioning knees and other body parts forces me to fall back onto the D/S route.
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
TDY OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post
Our Fearless Leader (well he is a little scared of the Demon Rum) has booked the cottage and we are set. Last year the rains chased us off the single track and we made it to lunch like a bunch of drown rats. After lunch we weren't really having that much fun in the monsoon so we took the direct route back. Once the bike was put away for the day liberal amounts of alcohol was applied for medicinal purposes.
Sunday we did the Dual Sport ride and since Paul & I were the only two with GPS we took the lead. In between the two of us were able to stay out of downtown Ottawa.
I'm hoping for better weather this year since the older I get the faster I was and still want to play on the single track. If conditions are not ideal then my lack of properly functioning knees and other body parts forces me to fall back onto the D/S route.
It's about time we have a dry Boogie so I'll place an order for just a bit of rain at night to keep the dust down. You're welcome to join the D-S ride again either way.