ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #136
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
useful BC information on zumo forums

Take a look at this: http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=16659

Also: http://garmin-mapsource.wikispaces.com/ - look at the Database and Devices sections.
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #137
ChiGuy64
Adventurer-in-Tng

Oddometer: 15
BC Issue

Recently, I finally decided to give BC another try after some very trying past experiences. I also "upgraded" to v4.2.1 and have worked with this version for a few weeks. Last night I opened BC to put the finishing touches on some routes. After completing everything, I clicked the icon to send it to my GPS (Garmin 2730, old yes, but I love it) and BC shut down. I tried this several more times with the same result. "Uh oh!" I removed and reinstalled BC, but it still shuts down when attempting to send routes to the unit.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?
ChiGuy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #138
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy64 View Post
Recently, I finally decided to give BC another try after some very trying past experiences. I also "upgraded" to v4.2.1 and have worked with this version for a few weeks. Last night I opened BC to put the finishing touches on some routes. After completing everything, I clicked the icon to send it to my GPS (Garmin 2730, old yes, but I love it) and BC shut down. I tried this several more times with the same result. "Uh oh!" I removed and reinstalled BC, but it still shuts down when attempting to send routes to the unit.

Anyone else having this issue? Any suggestions?
Can you see the 2730 in Mass Storage Mode? Do drive letters show up in Explorer/Finder?

If so, have you tried exporting the routes to a gpx file then just putting that into the right place in the 2730?

Have you seen this page which describes the two different modes the 2730 series can have?

"Garmin Mode is used when updating operating software, updating mapping, or transferring information to or from MapSource or BaseCamp."
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #139
ChiGuy64
Adventurer-in-Tng

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Can you see the 2730 in Mass Storage Mode? Do drive letters show up in Explorer/Finder?

If so, have you tried exporting the routes to a gpx file then just putting that into the right place in the 2730?

Have you seen this page which describes the two different modes the 2730 series can have?

"Garmin Mode is used when updating operating software, updating mapping, or transferring information to or from MapSource or BaseCamp."
I'm in the correct mode when trying to send routes to the gps. I'll give your exporting idea a try to see if I have any luck. Thanks.
ChiGuy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #140
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Latest Convert to BaseCamp

Hi. Long time user of Delorme Topo and Mapsource on Windows platform, but an avid Mac fan, so I was excited when Basecamp for Mac came out. I downloaded it Friday and converted my maps from PC to Mac.

Here's the link to instructions and free software to convert your unlocked Garmin maps from PC to Mac- no need to repurchase.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSo...cComputers.pdf

I loaded my converted maps into Basecamp. I was also able to import all my old tracks, routes and waypoints. I built my first multi-day trip and loaded it into my 60CSx - no problem. When you convert your maps, you have to use a separate program to send them to your GPS (Mapinstall). You can't send your detailed maps to the GPS from Basecamp. See instructions above.

I exported my trip to Google Earth and saved it as a jpg for your viewing pleasure.

So far I'm liking it! Time to road test it.
CR
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #141
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
When you convert your maps, you have to use a separate program to send them to your GPS (Mapinstall). You can't send your detailed maps to the GPS from Basecamp. See instructions above.
FYI: Everybody gets to use Mapinstall to load their maps now. Not only those who convert maps.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM   #142
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
4.2.2 is out!

Fixed start-up issue when opening some map installations Fixed start-up issue with opening Trip Planner Fixed various issues with upgrading legacy databases Fixed issue searching for named trails Fixed activity based routing Fixed issue with editing routes received from a device Fixed issue when using find
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #143
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
4.2.2 is out!

Fixed start-up issue when opening some map installations Fixed start-up issue with opening Trip Planner Fixed various issues with upgrading legacy databases Fixed issue searching for named trails Fixed activity based routing Fixed issue with editing routes received from a device Fixed issue when using find

For the record: It's the Windows version. No change to the Mac version.

BaseCamp software version 4.2.2 as of July 22, 2013

Changes made from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2:
Fixed start-up issue when opening some map installations
Fixed start-up issue with opening Trip Planner
Fixed various issues with upgrading legacy databases
Fixed issue searching for named trails
Fixed activity based routing
Fixed issue with editing routes received from a device
Fixed issue when using find

You can update from Basecamp for Windows, or get it here.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #144
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I was wrong - the Mac version is also updated, but Basecamp itself doesn't offer the update - you have to go here.

BaseCamp for Mac software version 4.2.2 as of July 24, 2013

Changes made from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2:
Fixed issue that where dragging a find result into the user data pane caused a crash
Fixed start-up issue when opening some map installations
Fixed start-up issue with opening Trip Planner
Fixed activity based routing
Fixed issue that preventing Shortest Distance to be set in the routing preferences
Fixed various issues with upgrading legacy databases
Fixed issue with editing routes received from a device
Fixed issue that caused GarMap Sub-Saharan Africa Streetmaps to not display
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #145
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I was wrong - the Mac version is also updated, but Basecamp itself doesn't offer the update - you have to go here.

BaseCamp for Mac software version 4.2.2 as of July 24, 2013
There is an issue with custom activities and recalculation of routes in this release, basically it's broken. If you're using custom activities in "what if" fashion, maybe give this one a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..... Really!

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #146
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
There is an issue with custom activities and recalculation of routes in this release, basically it's broken. If you're using custom activities in "what if" fashion, maybe give this one a pass.
The Mac or Windows version? Or both?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 AM   #147
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 646
Mac version only AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..... Really!

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #148
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 478
I thought I would give Base Camp a try, finally beeing able to ditch my Virtual PC with Windows XP to just use Mac OSX.
However, even in version 4.2.2 I can't get a hit on any adress that I search for, it just thinks for 20 sekonds and then nothing. Isn't anyone using BaseCamp at Garmin?
I figured searching for an adress was a quite basic function for a mapping application.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #149
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
I thought I would give Base Camp a try, finally beeing able to ditch my Virtual PC with Windows XP to just use Mac OSX.
However, even in version 4.2.2 I can't get a hit on any adress that I search for, it just thinks for 20 sekonds and then nothing. Isn't anyone using BaseCamp at Garmin?
I figured searching for an adress was a quite basic function for a mapping application.
It usually helps if you just search for the city first and then do the address search. Note also there is usually a limit set that defaults to 500 miles. But 4.2.1 was much better than the previous iterations. Haven't done any searches in 4.2.2 yet.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #150
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,120
An issue I've encountered is that when I work on a duplicate track in one "list," changes or deletions that I make to the duplicate can often occur as well in the original. Fortunately, I export lists to retain copies, and can go back and get the original track.

Typically what I experience is that deleting a duplicate track from one list can delete it from the original list.

Apparently BC shares the data, so there can be a ripple effect. Doesn't happen every time when I make a duplicate and work on it, but enough times to be aggravating.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote