ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #61
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Now you're just making shit up. Go ahead and type in a start city and state, then a destination city and state. Then select start trip. If you don't CHOOSE something out of the lame ass drop down window, it will error out. Now go to Google Maps and type in a city and state in the A position, then type in a city and state in the B position. I'm betting you won't get an error there.
Albie, last week, I was basically forced to go to Base Camp and, as an old fart who loved Mapsource, I was not a happy camper. After several frustrating attempts with BC, I started looking at a few tutorials available on the Zumo Forums as the Garmin videos were not too informative. The best thing I did was to transfer all of my Mapsource routes and waypoints over to BC. Now, when I do a search on BC, my waypoints come up with all the other stuff and, frankly, I’m really starting to like the program. It’s still a bit cumbersome for me but I'm figuring it out. Hang in there and try not to get too frustrated. You’ll get it. Hell, if I did, you can, too.
Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #62
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,215
BC as a routing tool is actually working well now. Just as usual though, Garmin throws in a new feature that didn't get thoroughly tested.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #63
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
If you girls can stop swatting each other with your hand bags long enough, is it possible that a comma needs to be between the city and the state?
I actually tried it that way and spelling the states name out completely. It will still error out if all you want to do is type in the start and end points without having to go through the suggestions.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #64
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
I am having some trouble with importing .gpx and .gdb files into Basecamp. I am not sure if it is related to the latest upgrade or not. I have rx plenty of .gpx files in the past and never had any trouble importing them.

I had a friend email a .gdb file. I saved it as I normally do and imported it into a List on Basecamp. The list is empty. I then cranked up Mapsource and imported the same file. I could see the info on there. I tried using GPSBabel to convert the .gdb to a .gpx and then imported that into Basecamp. Still no data. Then he emailed me a .gpx which I saved and then imported into a List but nothing is there.

Any ideas??
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #65
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Talking BaseCamp v4.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I am having some trouble with importing .gpx and .gdb files into Basecamp. I am not sure if it is related to the latest upgrade or not. I have rx plenty of .gpx files in the past and never had any trouble importing them.

I had a friend email a .gdb file. I saved it as I normally do and imported it into a List on Basecamp. The list is empty. I then cranked up Mapsource and imported the same file. I could see the info on there. I tried using GPSBabel to convert the .gdb to a .gpx and then imported that into Basecamp. Still no data. Then he emailed me a .gpx which I saved and then imported into a List but nothing is there.

Any ideas??
Master Marine,

Here's how I did it. (Caveat emptor: I was army so you may find this to be FUBAR!) First, create a folder under GPS Routes:

Next, go to File > 'Import to Transferred Mapsource Lists' and select the .gdb or.gpx you want to send to Base Camp.

Transfer the files. Depending on how many you transfer, this could take a minute or two. When I did this this, it wouldn't drop the transferred lists into the folder, My Transferred Lists but, instead, put them below:

Simply drag and drop the lists into the Transferred Mapsource List folder. I was only able to drag and drop one list at a time.

I hope this helps. Oh, thank you for your service, sir.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend

mikegc screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 06:23 AM
Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #66
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
Okay admit it, how many of you had to look up 'Caveat Emptor'?

I know the Marine did

Great thread guys, I'm learning a lot.

Thanks,
Old 07-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #67
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

BaseCamp v4.2.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateSeaCaptain View Post
Okay admit it, how many of you had to look up 'Caveat Emptor'?

I know the Marine did

Great thread guys, I'm learning a lot.

Thanks,
Pirate, I've got to go to my grandson's first birthday party in just a little while. We kept him and his three year-old brother yesterday and I've been drinking since then. Was it that obvious! I guess you can tell I only made E-5, huh?

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #68
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegc View Post
Master Marine,

Here's how I did it. (Caveat emptor: I was army so you may find this to be FUBAR!) First, create a folder under GPS Routes:

Next, go to File > 'Import to Transferred Mapsource Lists' and select the .gdb or.gpx you want to send to Base Camp.

Transfer the files. Depending on how many you transfer, this could take a minute or two. When I did this this, it wouldn't drop the transferred lists into the folder, My Transferred Lists but, instead, put them below:

Simply drag and drop the lists into the Transferred Mapsource List folder. I was only able to drag and drop one list at a time.

I hope this helps. Oh, thank you for your service, sir.

Mike
I probably should straighten out the whole Marine thing. I am not a Marine. I used to own a boat repair business at Lake Powell called MasterMarine way back when I first joined this site so that is my handle. Sorry for the confusion.

Back to the Basecamp issue. I thought maybe the issue was that I was importing the info into a List rather than a Folder so I tried it again. Then I tried to import something I had already imported into Basecamp into the same Folder and then File with no success. I am not sure what has happened but something is definitely wrong. I have been using Basecamp for years and am what I would refer to as an advanced user. Is anyone else having trouble with importing files into it?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #69
Dillard
Seeker

Oddometer: 72
I'll come clean as well...

I'm not a Pirate, I hate the ocean, and I'm definitely not a Captain

I seriously appreciate the help with BaseCamp though. And if we can mix in a little Latin, then hey, all the better.

I have several questions but I'm going to try and figure it out on my own first.

Good luck to all of us,
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #70
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
... Is anyone else having trouble with importing files into it?
I recall having read a thread over on the forums at Garmin identifying a problem similar to this. The imported files were
coming into BaseCamp but going to a non-obvious place.

I'm using a Mac version but it seems to be really screwed up ... its operating perfectly: I can just type in Pigeon Forge, TN, press return and its the top hit! And, that's with out clicking on the Cities box. Never did that before 4.2.1.

Ok, just tried your import of a GPX file. First I made a new empty list, left it highlighted and imported a GPX file from my Google Drive. It did not go into the newlist. Instead it became its own folder with the title "Recently imported from (the name of the imported gpx file).

Next I made a new folder, left it highlighted (I think) and imported a different GPX file having a similar name also from my Google Drive. It too went into its own folder BUT the folder containing the first imported gpx file disappeared!!!!

When I checked in the My Collection folder both imported GPX files were there.

So maybe BaseCamp only allows one folder to be named "Recently Imported From xxx"

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56

AugustFalcon screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 12:39 PM Reason: error
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #71
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
I recall having read a thread over on the forums at Garmin identifying a problem similar to this. The imported files were
coming into BaseCamp but going to a non-obvious place.

I'm using a Mac version but it seems to be really screwed up ... its operating perfectly: I can just type in Pigeon Forge, TN, press return and its the top hit! And, that's with out clicking on the Cities box. Never did that before 4.2.1.

Ok, just tried your import of a GPX file. First I made a new empty list, left it highlighted and imported a GPX file from my Google Drive. It did not go into the newlist. Instead it became its own folder with the title "Recently imported from (the name of the imported gpx file).

Next I made a new folder, left it highlighted (I think) and imported a different GPX file having a similar name also from my Google Drive. It too went into its own folder BUT the folder containing the first imported gpx file disappeared!!!!

When I checked in the My Collection folder both imported GPX files were there.

So maybe BaseCamp only allows one folder to be named "Recently Imported From xxx"
As to the Import function, there are differences between Windows and Mac BC in this area. Windows-BC will allow you to point to an existing list for import where as Mac-BC Imports only to a "Recently imported from xxxxxx.xxx" new list.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #72
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

I am using the Windows version.

I will look to see if there is a new Recently Imported folder in My Collection. Maybe they changed something...

It does not make sense to me that I would direct it to import in one place and it would put it in another but I will have a look next time I am in the house.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #73
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

You may also have invalid data (as far as BaseCamp is concerned). BC is more stringent with regard to proper data than MapSource.

If you can open this file in MapSource then do so and then do a Save As and save it as another file. Then try importing that new file into BaseCamp.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #74
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

I found the data in My Collection. It appears Basecamp just puts the data I imported into a List with the original file's filename in My Collection rather than where I told it to. It did not used to do that.

Is there an email address I should send a description of this issue to?

MasterMarine screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:59 PM Reason: clarification
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #75
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I found the data in My Collection. It appears Basecamp just puts the data I imported into a List with the original file's filename in My Collection rather than where I told it to. It did not used to do that.

Is there an email address I should send a description of this issue to?
Have you tried several iterations of this with a different GPX or GDB file? I don't have a problem with Win-BC importing to a "selected" List.

Dan
All Things GPS