Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Bodge OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Do you believe this ****

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=14&Itemid=24

Does anyone buy into this? Im yet to see any Moto GP riders, WSB, BSB riders wearing anything else but leather. And all top end manufacturers use leather and make the gear for all the racers, And they go down at 170 mph slide forever and there leather doesn't wear though.

Then you have this company claiming that there gloves are 10 times stronger than the ones mentioned above. If I was stupid enough to buy into there sales pitch, Put my bike down at 90 on a track day to have there gloves shred off my hand Id want to go over there and give them a proper shoeing for there blantant bull shit.

Or am I wrong in my thought process lol
Bodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 300
I have personally never used motoport gear, but you'll find a LOT of loyal motoport users on this site. A quick search will find several threads about motoport gear as well. Just go to google and type "site:advrider.com motoport kevlar gloves"
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,509
they may be 10 times stronger than leather, but a reason that racers don't use them is they don't get the "feel" they need for the controls, besides, gloves for motogp riders are probably all custom made for each rider, and they have dozens of pairs at their disposal for any given weekend, pretty much a disposable item.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
Yes.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=14&Itemid=24

Does anyone buy into this? Im yet to see any Moto GP riders, WSB, BSB riders wearing anything else but leather. And all top end manufacturers use leather and make the gear for all the racers, And they go down at 170 mph slide forever and there leather doesn't wear though.

Then you have this company claiming that there gloves are 10 times stronger than the ones mentioned above. If I was stupid enough to buy into there sales pitch, Put my bike down at 90 on a track day to have there gloves shred off my hand Id want to go over there and give them a proper shoeing for there blantant bull shit.

I've often wondered this myself. If the kevlar gear is so good, why do racers use leather? You would think that they would want the absolute best gear available. Is it because leather is superior? Is it because kevlar hasn't had enough actual crash testing yet? Is it because they know leather works and are simply hesitant to change? Or is it because kevlar isn't as good as Motoport claim? I don't know those answers.

I wouldn't call it blatant bullshit just yet though. There are a lot of people who have crash tested their gear and have wonderful things to say about them.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I've often wondered this myself. If the kevlar gear is so good, why do racers use leather? You would think that they would want the absolute best gear available. Is it because leather is superior? Is it because kevlar hasn't had enough actual crash testing yet? Is it because they know leather works and are simply hesitant to change? Or is it because kevlar isn't as good as Motoport claim? I don't know those answers.

I wouldn't call it blatant bullshit just yet though. There are a lot of people who have crash tested their gear and have wonderful things to say about them.
Easier to print sponsor logos on leather.....
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge

Yes.
KLR650 - gone
Don't be the guy who needs to pee on the fence to figure out that it's electrified.
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,123
There are plenty of people on this site that have drank Motoport's cool aid. The Motoport site is annoyingly hyperbolic in nature, leading one to question any of the claims, but the gear is good. As good as race leathers? doubtful, but how many of us wear leathers on the street anyway? This is a case of the right tool for the job.

Search online and you'll probably find more anecdotal evidence on Motoport protecting the rider than any other manufacturer. At the end of the day, what matters is whether you walk away from a tumble, and that is something Motoport gear excels at.

As for the gloves. I have a pair, and they're pretty good, but I prefer the better fit of broken in leather. Something about them just doesn't have the give that a nice pair of leather gloves do. They kind of always feel like a waterproof glove with the lack of give that the membrane doesn't seem to ever allow.

Hope that helps.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,324
I own the gloves in question, as well as a full suit of the air mesh kevlar.

I really like my gear. It wears great, and I've had a 35 mph get off where the gear held up well. Slid on my side a stomach for a bit. I remember having my palms on the ground pushing up while sliding. There's no visible damage to the gloves.

All that said, I think the motoport site is full of hyperbole. I can point to something like his temperature ranges for his aimesh with liner down to -20 f is a joke. I think the exaggerated claims really take away from decent gear. I don't believe his gear is 10x more protective than leather, but I do agree that kevlar doesn't break down from sweat like leather gloves do. I've worn a hole in the fingers of some of my older riding gloves, before my finger popped out how long had the abrasion resistance of my gloves been compromised?

My gear is about 4 years old, so I don't know what's changed, but I would say the workmanship is a strong but a bit primitive when compared to my aerostitch or modern camping gear.

I wouldn't buy those gloves at full retail. Got mine used for about $50 and think that for fit and finish that's about the right price. I'd never pay $170 for those things. I got a pair of kangaroo palmed helimot F 107's for about the same price and those were a study in fine craftsmanship. Though the helimots weren't as cool as I wanted so I sold em..
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
A couple of years ago, I asked Freddie Spencer why racers were still using leather when there were more advanced fabrics available and he said it came down to comfort and feel. A custom fit leather suit fits like a second skin and allows the rider to feel the controls and movement of the bike better than synthetic fabrics. And the protection offered by traditional leather and armor was "good enough."

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I've often wondered this myself. If the kevlar gear is so good, why do racers use leather? You would think that they would want the absolute best gear available.............

It's about feel and about heat dissipation as you are sliding across the pavement. Synthetics get hotter then leather.
ZiaThunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Leather would be more aerodynamic!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
A racing suit is made of much thicker leather than any glove. If you made gloves out of the same leather as a suit, it would be like wearing a baseball mitt. I believe that a textile can perform better than thin leather gloves for sure. That said, few racers ever put their hands out when they crash, they tend to tuck and slide on their backs where the heavy leather suit does it's work.

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Motoport sizing is so random it might as well be referred to as whimsical.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #15
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
A noob who's been here a month posts this?

Okay, put that aside. Perhaps before trouncing on a firm for it's claims and the like, one might be better served to do some personal research and gain a little insight before spouting off at the mouth.

Would I wear my 6 year old mesh kevlar suit at the track? No. I have a custom Vanson leather suit for that. Would I wear my Volante for a trip around the world? No, I have other gear for that purpose.

I rode in the mesh kevlar this passed weekend at 109F and in triple digits the entire weekend and was fine since I stayed hydrated. I also wore it to 23F while in Europe with no heated gear and was fine there too.

So while I can agree that some of the claims by Motoport are perhaps a bit of wordsmithing, I think blasting them for it as a very new member of the community is as pointless as me writing this response to such ignorance.