Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
Some of you out there will consider this sacrilege.
Yesterday, I picked up a 1994 Dodge 1500 4wd long bed with a 360 V8.
-Joe
You Son of A Bitch..

Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
You Son of A Bitch..

I was removing the right front tire this morning in anticipation of mounting up some roll around stock. I looked up and realized I will need to combine the inner front fenders from the two trucks to accommodate the new front suspension. This is going to be good. I could go without inner fenders, but I like the challenge.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #18
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I'm nondemoninational, but you are obviously a "fanboi" of some denomination to hold so much disdain for others.

I haven't seen anyone act foolish about this until now!

Jim
You're reading something into it that isn't there.

I go to a lot of car shows. The mouth breathing, "My brand is the only good one" types are out in full force and a swap such as this will drive them absolutely bonkers. The owner can do whatever he wants to his truck; it's his and he should build what he wants. But the Brand Loyalists are typically unable to keep their mouths shut and their comments to themselves. I was just pointing out this side effect of marrying two brands together. Doesn't sound like the OP will be bothered by this in the least, but hearing the stupid comments can be wearing.

I'm hardly a fanboi...have played with vehicles from nearly every country and nameplate. I've got some I like more than others, certainly. Every brand made turds. Every brand also has flashes of brilliance. Time spent behind the counter of a speed shop will illustrate which brands have the most blindly loyal followers though.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #19
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavidv View Post
You're reading something into it that isn't there.

I go to a lot of car shows. The mouth breathing, "My brand is the only good one" types are out in full force and a swap such as this will drive them absolutely bonkers. The owner can do whatever he wants to his truck; it's his and he should build what he wants. But the Brand Loyalists are typically unable to keep their mouths shut and their comments to themselves. I was just pointing out this side effect of marrying two brands together. Doesn't sound like the OP will be bothered by this in the least, but hearing the stupid comments can be wearing.

I'm hardly a fanboi...have played with vehicles from nearly every country and nameplate. I've got some I like more than others, certainly. Every brand made turds. Every brand also has flashes of brilliance. Time spent behind the counter of a speed shop will illustrate which brands have the most blindly loyal followers though.
Seemed kind of obvious to me:

Quote:
That will certainly drive the Chevy fanbois insane, and that alone is reason enough to do it. Just be prepared for lots of moronic comments from Bowtie Believers.
None the less, there is no need for that kind of thing in this thread, and most everyone else has not mentioned it at all, so no need to continue to hijack what should be an interesting build thread!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #20
Weekend_warrior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
But, its a dodge!

Ha! Seriously not a dodge fan. I've had some experience with 2 cars my mom owned in the 80's, one in the 90's and my Ex had a 2001 PT cruiser. Had issue will all of them, but the PT was the worst in terms of accessibility. She sold it soon after we were done as she got tired of putting money into repairs after she figured out I was not going to work on it any more! Not a fan, but I think it will be good build.

Please take it to the car shows just to piss a few "Mouth Breathers off".

Always been a Chevy guy myself . I do like to kid my buddies that drive fords, dodge, Toyotas, etc.... It's really just that. I kid. Yes, every brand has turds. Truth is I looked a Toyota for my last truck, but the blind "its better than all other trucks because Toyota is reliable" attitude and the 4K it was going to cost me (even used) more than a Chevy or ford took it off my list. At the time of my purchase Chevy just had what I wanted and the best in class MPG so that was my choice after selling my 96 GMC with 185K that was mostly stock (as in not a ton of replacement stuff on it). I had to ask myself "would I buy that truck again" The answer was yes, so I picked up an 08 GMC. Just over 96K on it now and its been a good truck.

Great project and I'd love to see some photos of the along the way.

I've been watching a fella on another site put a 66 Dodge body on a new Eco boost truck he bought from a wrecking yard. He ended up with a brand new frame from ford and is using the ford Full dash in it. His build has stalled due to health reasons, but some amazing work so far and looks like it turn out to be a dam cool daily driver. He is very close to finishing with the ford fully assembled and the body ready to mate.

I hope your build goes as well!
Weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

I don't consider myself a fanboi when it comes to automotive brands per se. I do prefer some GM products and when it comes to full-sized pickups for use on the farm, I do prefer the Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins engine to get the job done. Admittedly, I am on my 3rd one there. I have had big block Chevrolets doing the same work, but the efficiency of the Diesel engine can't be beat. I have owned and driven Ford products as well, but I would not go out of my way to buy one.

I do have the Chevy 350 that I originally built for the '57, in running condition ready to go. I could use it in this project, as it sits, mated to a 700R4 automatic transmission and a 1988-1998 Chevy NP241 transfer case to get the left hand drop that I need with the Dodge chassis. The drawback is that I don't have the 700R4 or transfer case on hand. I also have the V-belt accessory drive on the front of the 350, which I would really want to change over to serpentine, which means changing accessories and water pump as well, again, parts I do not have on hand.

This is why I am sticking with the Dodge drivetrain. Yes, the motor needs work, however it is MPFI with a roller cam, vs. the TBI and solid cam in the 350 I have now. Since I will be going into the Dodge engine, I am going to change the cam profile to a shorter duration profile to improve low and midrange torque where this truck will spend most of its time.

I have a buyer for the bed and fenders, which further funds what I am doing. I need to shorten the frame 10.7 inches, as I recall, to replicate the 1957 wheelbase. The stock 1957 frame is completely flat on top, as well as straight in profile, essentially two C channels with crossmembers. The Dodge frame has arches and bends to absorb energy in a collision, which means I will have to make my body mounts to accomadate this difference as well. I am also going to coat the frame with Magnet Paints chassis paint to protect my work when done. It is very much like POR-15, but less expensive. I used POR-15 when I grafted the Camaro front subframe to the 1957 chassis and I really like the results

-Joe

Old 07-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #22
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
That will certainly drive the Chevy fanbois insane, and that alone is reason enough to do it. Just be prepared for lots of moronic comments from Bowtie Believers.
Chevy AND Dodge fanbois!

And it'll be cool when it's all said and done. Heck, I once saw a Chevy 350 powered Ford F-100. It ran well and as long as the hood was down, no one was the wiser!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

Yesterday after work, I set about to removing unnecessary items from the Dodge. I found a buyer for the front fenders, complete bed, and rear bumper. Proceeds from the sale of these parts will go toward the project, so win for me, and win for the guy who didn't want to scour the salvage yards. The cab itself is in fair condition. The sheet metal is good, but the interior is crap after sitting open for the past four years, not that I had any intent to do much with the cab, other than scrap metal. I need to disconnect the wire harness, steering and AC lines and then I can lift off the cab.

With the bed off, I have a much better view of the frame I am going to be working with. The Dodge diesel/V10 frames are a box tube design, strong but for what I want to do, a bit more difficult to section. The 1500 series frame is more the traditional C channel, which will allow me to weld in bracing plates more easily, after I rejoin the two frame halves. The difference in frame widths is 2.5", with the Dodge frame being wider at 37.5", however, the centerline for the cab mounts on the '57 is 50", so I have plenty of wiggle room to make my mounts.

The other issue to address in sectioning the frame will be the fuel tank. The stock long bed/extended cab tank has a 35 gallon capacity and extends almost from the rear axle to the transfer case. With the frame shortened nearly 11", I will need a shorter tank. The V-6 powered and short bed trucks had a smaller 26 gallon tank, which will be shorter, hopefully in all the right places, to work for my needs. If not, there is always room for a fabbed tank.

More pics coming soon.

-Joe

Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

After I got the bed off the frame, I took the power washer to the frame to get the Texas dust and dirt off and clean up my work space.

-Joe

Old 07-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #25
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

First of all, apologies for the above picturefest. I got a bit lazy trying to upload the pictures and did not put spaces in between. Now there is the mess above.

Yesterday I located a shortbed fuel tank which should meet my needs. The stock 35 gallon tank is 68" long and runs from under the driver's door (almost the rear of the transfer case) to the rear axle. I knew a smaller (26 gallon) tank was availabe on the shortbed trucks, 54" long to be exact. What I did not know is the bigger tank was optional on the long bed and extended cab trucks. All of my Dodges in the past were long beds with the big diesel tank, so I assumed it was just a long bed thing. Either way, I found one in Tulsa and will pick it up next Friday.

As to the frame, the factory assembled these 1/2 frames in two sections. The front half or main frame extends back to behind the cab to the front cab mounts. The rear half, or subframe, was nested inside the main frame rails and was riveted in place through the front leaf spring hangers and a crossmember. Again an assumption on my part is that this was done at the factory to accomadate different truck configurations without having to actually make multiple frames to meet those configuration needs. As memory serves, there are seven rivets per side. This translates to good news for me, in that I can ground down the rivets and punch them out, separate the two halves, cut the unneeded length from the main frame, then slide the subframe back in place, replacing the rivets with grade 8 bolts and welding.

I will need to spread the main frame rails a small bit to slide out the sub frame, but I have a porta-power unit that will do the job nicely. Oddly enough, I bought it to spread the frame rails on Dodge trucks, specifically the diesels, to remove and replace the transmission crossmember when servicing the clutch. The damn thing just won't go back in without one and getting it out without one takes a lot of time and a big hammer.

Looking down at the top of the frame rail, there are two large rivet heads. These go through the main frame, sub-frame and cross member. There is one more on the bottom and four through the front leaf spring hanger. At this point, the main frame top and bottom rails are flat. About the point where I need to trim the main frame back to, the top and bottom rails are no longer flanged, but instead are curled in. In order to re-graft the two pieces, I will need to grind the lips back to a flat flange. There will be a lot of grinding work involved, but I think it will be less traumatic than making / cuts in the frame rails and welding the shortened pieces back together.

This truck will most likely never be "used as a truck" so cargo capacity is not an issue. The strength of the union is still critical. I don't want the frame to break going do the road. Grade 8 bolts will adequately repalce the factory rivets, however, I will weld the joint as well. There will be no issues with cracks around the welds or bolt holes this way.

-Joe

Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,118
Oh goody! Another old truck thread to watch!

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #28
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

The weather decided to cooperate this morning, so I pulled out the implements of destruction and set about to grinding rivets for the frame shortening. I had already removed the gas tank earlier this week, so I was clear to let the sparks fly.

My favorite weapon of choice is this old Craftsman sander, fitted with a 9" metal grinding disc. This thing is old and heavy, but the mass does wonders for cutting through metal. A torch with a cutting tip would work pretty well and be quicker, but I don't have to worry about stray or excessive heat with the grinder. The heads take about 5 minutes to grind flush.

Once ground flush, I hit them with PB Blaster to help loosen up the nearly 20 year old metal. Next I give them a good whack with a Grade 8 bolt and a hammer, to identify any flash that was missed with the grinder.

The rivets are already starting to move. The problem is that they were used to sandwich three pieces of metal together. As the rivets were hammered in to place, they expanded against all three pieces, frame, subframe and cross memeber or spring hanger. With the hardened rivet head gone, the rivet can be drilled and will relieve some of the pressure being apllied to the surrounding metals. I have used this trick successfully in the past. The worst case would be to have to almost completely drill out the rivet.

The rivets were moving ever so slightly with persuasion from the hammer and bolt. I hoped that my air chisel and puch would speed things up a bit.

Things are moving slowly, so I am going to let the PB Blaster soak in over night The rivets are now free of the top of the main frame. If worse comes to worse, i can drill them some more. This is where is would have paid to center my pilot holes in the rivet, rather than just going for it.

With the four top rivets out of the way and soaking, I decided it was time to work on the rivets that mount the front leaf spring hangers. The problem is that there are bed mounts in the way. These mounts are also in the midst of the cut where the main frame will be shortened. I have a tool for that.

I lopped of the top of the bed mount at the frame rail. Then I took the reciprocating saw and cut the ear off of what was left of the mount closest to the leaf spring hanger. This will get me the room I need for the grinder and clear the way for the frame chop. I saved the top part of the bed mount, just in case I need them later.

I was able to grind down two of the four rivet heads on the driver's side leaf spring hanger before I had to stop and get ready for work today. I also applied a liberal dose of PB Blaster to let it soak. I'll give everything another shot tonight when I get home and can hopefully finish driving out the rivets I have started on tomorrow. The rear axle is almost ready to roll out of the way as well. I need to unbolt the driveshaft, remove the brake line and unbolt the shocks. Then I can support the frame hand have the leaf springs out of the way for more rivet grinding.

-Joe

Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #29
Clint Taurus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Somebody has seen too many episodes of Fast and Loud.
Wish I had the skills(and time) to pull off kluge like that!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #30
Purcell69 OP
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Taurus View Post
Somebody has seen too many episodes of Fast and Loud.
Wish I had the skills(and time) to pull off kluge like that!
Not me. I don't care for those type of programs. This is all me. The last automotive based "reality" program I watched was one of the early "Wrecks to Riches", hoping there may be some worthwhile information to be had. Unfortunately, it was ripe with scripted drama instead. I have enough drama in my own life, so I'll pass on the make believe stuff.

As far as time, I've been playing with this old truck off and on for almost 20 years. I figure this will be the last build on it, followed by body work and some paint this time.

-Joe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: