ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,583
Went for a Motorcycle Ride........On My Scooter.

There was an interesting ride posted on Bamarides in my area so I decided to go. It would most likely be all motorcycles but I decided to ride my Aprilia Sport City 250. Would it be like bringing a knife to a gunfight?

Here's a few pics:



.



.



For more pics and the full story, go to my ride report here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...647784&page=19

Start at post #280
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
driller
Twist and Go
 
driller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: In The Isothermal Belt, NC
Oddometer: 1,219
I know just how you felt.
The groans are almost audible when arriving on the scoot.
No, all the ribbing is in good fun.
__________________
Why did I wait so long to do this?
Now "Certified Scooter Trash"
2005 Vespa GT200
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"

driller screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 09:45 AM
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
I see a lot of cruisers there, more like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Well, at least when the roads get curvy.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
I know just how you felt.
The groans are almost audible when arriving on the scoot.
No, all the ribbing is in good fun.
I didn't get that at all. One of the cruiser guys told me he used to have a morphous but traded up to a Burgman 400 because the Morphous slowed down too much on hills. He said be be riding the Burgman on this ride but was waiting for a new tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
I see a lot of cruisers there, more like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Well, at least when the roads get curvy.
I wasn't worried about keeping up on the curves. I was concerned that the pace might be too fast on long straights and too slow in the curves. The Aprilia handles curves pretty well and I have outrun a few sportbikes on twisty roads
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
andoulli
CAJUN
 
andoulli's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I didn't get that at all. One of the cruiser guys told me he used to have a morphous but traded up to a Burgman 400 because the Morphous slowed down too much on hills. He said be be riding the Burgman on this ride but was waiting for a new tire.



I wasn't worried about keeping up on the curves. I was concerned that the pace might be too fast on long straights and too slow in the curves. The Aprilia handles curves pretty well and I have outrun a few sportbikes on twisty roads
I pulled onto an interstate on ramp very early one morning on my 2007 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit. Just ahead of me was a Burgman 650. The road was empty and he took off. I was not able to catch up, when I finally backed off he was about a mile ahead.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,625
Burgman 650 has 54 hp. But it should handle curves like a beached whale.
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (now being slowly reassembled) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.
 
cbolling's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Oddometer: 2,702
I test rode a Silverwing and a Tmax. They are both way faster than the Honda Shadow 750 that I used to ride.
__________________
2011 Kawasaki Versys

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Burgman 650 has 54 hp. But it should handle curves like a beached whale.


Should be some interesting replies to this one.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Oddometer: 855
Wow, Klav, you sure ride in some beautiful country.

The scooter v. motorcycle thing is only as much an issue as you allow it to be. I've been on many a Patriot Guard Rider mission by now where my machine is the only scooter amidst a sea of Harleys, Goldwings and an occasional Victory, Vulcan, VTX or Road Star...you get a little jab now and then, but once you establish your bonafides, seems not to be much of a problem anymore.

You certainly did that on your ride. You've ridden that Aprilia all over the place and you were certainly in your element on those roads. I don't think anyone else on that ride was in a position to jam you on your choice of motation...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post


Should be some interesting replies to this one.
People complain about cruiser handling. My Vulcan 750 handles great (and makes over 60 hp) but then it is hardly a "modern" cruiser. Still, the Burgman has a 62.8" wheelbase, a 15" front wheel and a 14" rear wheel. That should definitely not translate into great handling, and those small wheels should make it ride like a cement truck. I admit I have no idea how it handles out on the road at speed, but found it awful in a parking lot. It's main strong point should be comfortable high speed cruising on fairly straight roads.
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (now being slowly reassembled) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GREY.HOUND's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: central valley, california
Oddometer: 265
Nice ride and pics Klaviator. Question, do you have your camera mounted to the bike?

GH
__________________
'09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Wow, Klav, you sure ride in some beautiful country.

The scooter v. motorcycle thing is only as much an issue as you allow it to be. I've been on many a Patriot Guard Rider mission by now where my machine is the only scooter amidst a sea of Harleys, Goldwings and an occasional Victory, Vulcan, VTX or Road Star...you get a little jab now and then, but once you establish your bonafides, seems not to be much of a problem anymore.

You certainly did that on your ride. You've ridden that Aprilia all over the place and you were certainly in your element on those roads. I don't think anyone else on that ride was in a position to jam you on your choice of motation...
I have never had anyone give me any grief over riding a scooter. I wasn't concerned over the scooter vs motorcycle thing. I was concerned over riding a 250cc bike with much bigger bikes. I had no doubts about keeping up in the curves. Actually I was more concerned that they would be so slow in the curves that I'd get bored. However, If they decided to cruise down the highway at 85, I'd get left behind. Even 70 going up hill would leave me behind. It turned out not to be an issue.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #13
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
People complain about cruiser handling. My Vulcan 750 handles great (and makes over 60 hp) but then it is hardly a "modern" cruiser. Still, the Burgman has a 62.8" wheelbase, a 15" front wheel and a 14" rear wheel. That should definitely not translate into great handling, and those small wheels should make it ride like a cement truck. I admit I have no idea how it handles out on the road at speed, but found it awful in a parking lot. It's main strong point should be comfortable high speed cruising on fairly straight roads.
Jerry, there is a big difference between Japanese cruisers designed in the 80s and modern ones. My wife had a Virago 700. I probably put about 10,000 miles on it.....about as many as she did It handled well, had good power, twin front disc brakes, a centerstand and a tach. I'm sure it would leave just about any modern cruiser under 1000cc in the dust. It would also handle better than most modern cruisers. Your Vulcan would do the same. The biggest issue with modern cruiser is that in order to get that ultra low seat height, ground clearance is severely compromised. They also tend to be really heavy. I used to sell Kawasaki's and Yamaha's. Few if any cruiser riders that I talked to cared how the bikes handled. If the customers don't care, why should the manufacturers?

As for the Burgman 650, I haven't ridden one but from what I have seen posted, it handles fairly well. I'm surprised no Burgman riders have chimed in here.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Nice ride and pics Klaviator. Question, do you have your camera mounted to the bike?

GH
I have a cheap point and shoot that I hang around my neck with a strap. If I want to take a pic I grab it with my left hand, turn it on and shoot. If I need to get my hands on back on the bars I can just drop it. Many of the pics I take this way are crap but it's a digital camera so they don't cost me anything. I get a lot more pics this way since I don't have to stop. I can even shoot while riding through the curves unless I'm really riding hard.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.




klaviator screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 05:18 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GREY.HOUND's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: central valley, california
Oddometer: 265
Thanks. I have a basic digital also, but recently bought a mount for it. Just trying to figure the best way to go about it.
__________________
'09 Aprilia Sportcity 250
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014