Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #31
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Burgman 650 has 54 hp. But it should handle curves like a beached whale.
I've been riding for over 45 years - I'm 66. I've rode large cc bikes for most of those years including very good handling (for the day) 650 Triumphs and BSAs - 750 triples and four cylinders. My first real fast bike was a Kawasaki 500 H1 triple two stroke. It took off like a bat outa hell but couldn't corner worth a crap.

While the 650 Burgman has a crappy ride on choppy roads due to its short wheel travel it does handle well. Not like a sport bike but it'll handle as well as most any cruiser - and better than many of them. You might give one a try - I bet you'd be surprised. I know I was.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM   #32
miboso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post

Should be some interesting replies to this one.
Not worth bothering about. If you don't know, you don't know. So far, the only limiting factor on my 650 is me
Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #33
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
I don't like doing group rides on my other bikes but after reading this thread I think my Mojito 150 might work out nicely for a few poker runs. I can go almost 60 on the flats and should be able to keep up.Round here I'm thinking the cruiser crowd won't be too happy about me tagging along but I'll give it a try to find out for sure. I have noticed that when I get grouped up with a cruiser or two in slow traffic they can't wait to get away from me. Almost like they're afraid someone they know will see them riding with me.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #34
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I don't like doing group rides on my other bikes but after reading this thread I think my Mojito 150 might work out nicely for a few poker runs. I can go almost 60 on the flats and should be able to keep up.Round here I'm thinking the cruiser crowd won't be too happy about me tagging along but I'll give it a try to find out for sure. I have noticed that when I get grouped up with a cruiser or two in slow traffic they can't wait to get away from me. Almost like they're afraid someone they know will see them riding with me.
I don't know what the riders are like where you are, but around here there aren't that that many scooters and a lot of motorcycles. Most of the rides I have done on my scooter with other riders was with motorcycle riders. I have not had any issues with any of the riders. I think it's a lot of fun. Take a look at this pic:

I had just spent a few hours riding around on some twisty roads with the two bikes pictured; an MV Augusta and a Yamaha R1. I not only kept up but passed the MV Augusta. We were just three guys riding together. What we were riding was not relevant.

I'd say go for it. Go ride with those Harley riders and see what happens. You might be surprised.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 PM   #35
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

I rode nothing but Harley for the past 25 years. I had to laugh every time someone not a Harley owner would ask if they could go along on a planned ride too. I laughed because it seemed like a silly question to me. If you could keep up then whats the problem? There were times I rode with guys that had Harleys and I didn't. I've rode with Banditos and Gypsy Jokers and other so-called 1%'ers over the years - but never joined any of them. That was back in the Triumph and BSA days of the late 60s early 70s.

My first priority was to keep a roof over the heads of my kids and myself and food on the table. As the kids got older and my income rose I was able to afford my first Harley - an almost new low mileage 1990 Fat Boy - first year made that I bought in 93. I took my first trip to Sturgis on that torture rack! I think anyone thats rode a 'softail' Harley can attest to that! Then came the 95 Ultra Classic with a side car I bought in 99 - I was in hog heaven - I had 2 Harleys in the garage! I pulled the side car off a few weeks after buying the combo - and sold it. I sold the Fat Boy 2 years later and maybe 600 miles! Then came a nearly new 2001 Ultra Classic bought in 2005 after selling the 95 to a buddy a few weeks earlier. We went to Sturgis in 2005 - I doubt I'll ever go there again - at least on a bike. That would be the ultimate 'test' of scooter riding eh?

The reason I point out my history with Harley is because of the trouble with a Harley - they aren't very practical. At least not for me. The Yamaha Majesty and the 650 Burgman are much more suited to how I ride and where I go on a bike. First choice for going to the hardware store or to the golf course or fetching a week's worth the groceries is the Burgman. I'd never have done that with either Electra Glide - and the Fat Boy was impractical for anything now that I think of it. Taking the Majesty out is like taking the dog for a walk - its an 'obligation' for me. I can't see it just sitting there and I hate to sell it.

I can't wait for the weather to turn. I'm riding more than I have in the past 5-6 years - and its all because I discovered scooters! I've had the 650 for nearly 2 years.
1971 Karmann Ghia
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #36
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
I rode nothing but Harley for the past 25 years. I had to laugh every time someone not a Harley owner would ask if they could go along on a planned ride too. I laughed because it seemed like a silly question to me. If you could keep up then whats the problem? There were times I rode with guys that had Harleys and I didn't. I've rode with Banditos and Gypsy Jokers and other so-called 1%'ers over the years - but never joined any of them. That was back in the Triumph and BSA days of the late 60s early 70s.

My first priority was to keep a roof over the heads of my kids and myself and food on the table. As the kids got older and my income rose I was able to afford my first Harley - an almost new low mileage 1990 Fat Boy - first year made that I bought in 93. I took my first trip to Sturgis on that torture rack! I think anyone thats rode a 'softail' Harley can attest to that! Then came the 95 Ultra Classic with a side car I bought in 99 - I was in hog heaven - I had 2 Harleys in the garage! I pulled the side car off a few weeks after buying the combo - and sold it. I sold the Fat Boy 2 years later and maybe 600 miles! Then came a nearly new 2001 Ultra Classic bought in 2005 after selling the 95 to a buddy a few weeks earlier. We went to Sturgis in 2005 - I doubt I'll ever go there again - at least on a bike. That would be the ultimate 'test' of scooter riding eh?

The reason I point out my history with Harley is because of the trouble with a Harley - they aren't very practical. At least not for me. The Yamaha Majesty and the 650 Burgman are much more suited to how I ride and where I go on a bike. First choice for going to the hardware store or to the golf course or fetching a week's worth the groceries is the Burgman. I'd never have done that with either Electra Glide - and the Fat Boy was impractical for anything now that I think of it. Taking the Majesty out is like taking the dog for a walk - its an 'obligation' for me. I can't see it just sitting there and I hate to sell it.

I can't wait for the weather to turn. I'm riding more than I have in the past 5-6 years - and its all because I discovered scooters! I've had the 650 for nearly 2 years.
Being able to carry all kinds of stuff, and not having to think about whether I can park someplace, or the logistics of making a maneuver, that means more to me as I get older. If my scooter fell over, it would rest on the edge of the cast metal floor. A scooter is perfect for 95% of what I would use a motorcycle for. When I see older men on tricycles, I wonder if they got worried about tipping over, and felt they had to keep the big engine. Maybe a scooter would have been a better choice.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #37
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Being able to carry all kinds of stuff, and not having to think about whether I can park someplace, or the logistics of making a maneuver, that means more to me as I get older. If my scooter fell over, it would rest on the edge of the cast metal floor. A scooter is perfect for 95% of what I would use a motorcycle for. When I see older men on tricycles, I wonder if they got worried about tipping over, and felt they had to keep the big engine. Maybe a scooter would have been a better choice.
I have often thought the same thing when I see someone on a trike. I suspect that some have balance problems but many just can't handle the weight of the ginormous bikes they are used to riding. For some, ego prevents them from downsizing. For many however, they just don't realize just how capable a scooter is.

When you take your scooter on a motorcycle ride, you are showing those motorcycle riders just how capable a scooter is. It's not a matter of showing them up, it's erasing misconceptions.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #38
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,008
Nothing wrong with a scooter riding with a different type of bike.

Or even a 250 riding with the big guns.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #39
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I have often thought the same thing when I see someone on a trike. I suspect that some have balance problems but many just can't handle the weight of the ginormous bikes they are used to riding. For some, ego prevents them from downsizing. For many however, they just don't realize just how capable a scooter is.

When you take your scooter on a motorcycle ride, you are showing those motorcycle riders just how capable a scooter is. It's not a matter of showing them up, it's erasing misconceptions.
I had those misconceptions for years! I didn't look into the possibility of a scooter until I could no longer throw a leg (or drag it!) over the seat and backrest of my beautiful 2001 Harley FHLTCUI Electra Glide Ultra - the backrest being a necessity for me - without realigning my spine. Some days I could get on easily - some days I didn't bother to chance it! Sometimes we are forced into something we should have simply accepted as a great idea! I loved my Harley and didn't want to change. But I'm glad I did.

A long time friend of mine had 3 motorcycles until recently but sold his 95 Harley FLHTCUI (yes it had fuel injection - came stock) Anniversary edition to make room for his 650 Burgman Exec. He bought that Harley new and swore he'd never sell it! He still has a (2002?) 1500cc Goldwing trike conversion and a Honda Valkyrie the year of I can't remember.

He was visiting me early last year on the trike and was interested in my Burgman. I let him take a short ride on it. He came back about 15 minutes later smiling from ear to ear - I knew he was hooked! Within a month he'd located an almost new 2011 and bought it. He decided to sell his prized Harley to make room in the garage.

So now each time he stops by he's riding the scooter. He's now considering thinning the herd further by selling the trike too. He never did buy it for stability reasons like so many have. With a top case added (Givi) he can get more stuff in the scooter than the trike which actually has very little storage other than the top box - and the storage door has always leaked. So now the Valkyrie has the same status as the Harley had for a long time - he claims he'll never sell it! Gotta wonder how long that'll last since he's never ridden it the 120 miles from his place to mine. While it is a beautiful bike it isn't the most comfortable ride - especially in wind and rain - there is little protection from buffeting and rain. He's had the carbs rebuilt once (expensive!) and its time consuming to sync them up. I think the clock may be ticking on the Valkyrie.
1971 Karmann Ghia
Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #40
MichRocks
Sunset Rider

Oddometer: 141
All I can remember is that the older I got, the smarter my parents became...
MichRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #41
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

Did the scooter rider swap bikes with the sport bike rider? The helmet & jacket on the scooter seems to match the sport bike.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #42
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichRocks View Post
All I can remember is that the older I got, the smarter my parents became...
I just wish my kids would catch onto that concept! My daughter is 41 and my son is 36. I'm waiting...
1971 Karmann Ghia
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #43
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
[QUOTE=TrashCan;23245691]Nothing wrong with a scooter riding with a different type of bike.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8353850841/
Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #44
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,943
[QUOTE=scootrboi;23250691]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29821169@N06/8353850841/
Why not use the image imbed brackets on your pictures?

Are you purposely trying to generate views to your flikr account?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 PM   #45
Trevster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
You've now inspired me to take my Forza out with my brother and his mates on their ZX10s