Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 AM   #46
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 849
Over the years of riding mostly Harleys, we occasionally rode with the Harley Owners Group. I have to say, I didn't care much for the "herd mentality" that accompanied those rides. My wife and I prefer to ride with just the two of us. We've been doing it for over 4 decades, and know what to expect from each other and how to communicate our intentions.

We get waves from other riders all the time, but when at a stoplight with someone on a motorcycle, I chuckle when I see them look at the scooters... I remember thinking the same thing: why?

I joke about "coming full circle," since my first bike was a Honda 150 Dream back in the 60s. But, seriously, that old Dream wasn't as easy to maneuver around as these scoots. Since we aren't looking to do "road riding" these days, the PCX fits our usage. I always rode whatever bike I had to the grocery store, the hardware store, or just to "get the knees in the breeze." As I've ... um ... matured, moving a heavy bike around became more work than pleasure. Downsizing from an HD to a BMW to a V-Strom seemed to fit our riding, but was still work. These scooters give me all the pleasure of riding, without the work... I can move them around like they were bicycles. Oh, sure, they're practical, BUT it is all about fun and easy.

I guess I consider each time I head out on two wheels, I'm going for a motorcycle ride... even if that conveyance is a scooter.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #47
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Over the years of riding mostly Harleys, we occasionally rode with the Harley Owners Group. I have to say, I didn't care much for the "herd mentality" that accompanied those rides. My wife and I prefer to ride with just the two of us. We've been doing it for over 4 decades, and know what to expect from each other and how to communicate our intentions.

We get waves from other riders all the time, but when at a stoplight with someone on a motorcycle, I chuckle when I see them look at the scooters... I remember thinking the same thing: why?

I joke about "coming full circle," since my first bike was a Honda 150 Dream back in the 60s. But, seriously, that old Dream wasn't as easy to maneuver around as these scoots. Since we aren't looking to do "road riding" these days, the PCX fits our usage. I always rode whatever bike I had to the grocery store, the hardware store, or just to "get the knees in the breeze." As I've ... um ... matured, moving a heavy bike around became more work than pleasure. Downsizing from an HD to a BMW to a V-Strom seemed to fit our riding, but was still work. These scooters give me all the pleasure of riding, without the work... I can move them around like they were bicycles. Oh, sure, they're practical, BUT it is all about fun and easy.

I guess I consider each time I head out on two wheels, I'm going for a motorcycle ride... even if that conveyance is a scooter.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Not all groups have that "herd mentality" All of the rides I have gone on with Bama Rides have started out with a rider's brief that included: "ride at your own pace. We will wait for you at all turns. No one will be left behind." Most of the groups I have ridden with over the years also did this. If someone showed up with a PCX for a Bama Rides group ride and rode with all the big motorcycles, they might struggle to keep up once in a while, but wouldn't be left behind. With my 250, keeping up is not a problem.

If you don't like group rides, you may just be riding with the wrong group.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #48
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
The older I get, the less I enjoy group rides and that's probably because I feel pressure to ride faster than what I typically enjoy. I'm the same way hiking. My experience seems to be that when you gather a group of people and head towards a destination there is often an urgency to get there 1st for some reason.

The last thing I want to do is hold a group of spirited riders up.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #49
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
The older I get, the less I enjoy group rides and that's probably because I feel pressure to ride faster than what I typically enjoy. I'm the same way hiking. My experience seems to be that when you gather a group of people and head towards a destination there is often an urgency to get there 1st for some reason.

The last thing I want to do is hold a group of spirited riders up.
Not all riders are looking to go fast. All street rides posted on Bama Rides state whether it will be a spirited or relaxed pace.

Many of my best rides have been with groups, usually small groups.

The secret to a successful and fun group ride is to ride with like minded riders.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #50
WeatherHammr
n00b

Oddometer: 1
You certainly have a good taste in scooters. I have an Aprilia scooter. It outlived my dads Aprilia Futura (it caught on fire and was totaled. It was a very sad day).
WeatherHammr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #51
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went for another "motorcycle" ride on my scooter. Actually, I was leading this ride so maybe the guys on motorcycles went on a scooter ride?

Here's a pic. That is ice around the edge of the lake.

I swapped bikes for a bit with the guy on the WR250. The WR has a louder than stock exhaust and shorter gearing for off road. Needless to say it didn't feel anything like my scooter.

Afterwards he described riding my scooter as "being pushed along on an electric pillow."

It did give me the chance to get some pics of my scooter in action.

More pics and full story is here: http://bamarides.com/ride/lets-ride/...saturday-1-25/

Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 AM   #52
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
SoCal Scootin'

When I got a new hip in December, the doc told me I couldn't ride my motorcycles for at least 12 weeks. After 2 weeks of going stir crazy, I asked if I could ride a little step thru scooter. " Shouldn't be a problem, just go for short rides to begin with". Long story, short:

Obviously didn't show him this pix.
Loving this thing! Last 3 week ends I led 10-16 motorcycles thru the canyons and along the coast. Needless to say, I didn't hold anyone up.

I was only going to keep this thing till the hip healed, but now the Triumph Tiger 800XC and the Goldwing will have to share the stable.

doxbike screwed with this post 01-28-2014 at 05:44 AM
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #53
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
When I got a new hip in December, the doc told me I couldn't ride my motorcycles for at least 12 weeks. After 2 weeks of going stir crazy, I asked if I could ride a little step thru scooter. " Shouldn't be a problem, just go for short rides to begin with". Long story, short:

Obviously didn't show him this pix.
Loving this thing! Last 3 week ends I led 10-16 motorcycles thru the canyons and along the coast. Needless to say, I didn't hold anyone up.

I was only going to keep this thing till the hip healed, but now the Triumph Tiger 800XC and the Goldwing will have to share the stable.
Please repost the picture, it doesn't show.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #54
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Im glad Klaviator is coming back into riding season...

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM   #55
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I sure wish the lakes around here would start deicing - we've got enough ice to ride on the lakes. And its too damned cold to ride. It did break freezing today - got to 33*F! Only two more months of this crap.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 AM   #56
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Please repost the picture, it doesn't show.
it was there, then went away. Just added again. don't know how to include an image from my 'puter, so grabbed one from a website
Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #57
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
it was there, then went away. Just added again. don't know how to include an image from my 'puter, so grabbed one from a website
You can't post a pic directly from your puter. You need to use a photo hosting site like Smugmug.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #58
klx250sfguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
I use PhotoBucket. It's free, it's easy. Glad you're having fun on that MP3.
klx250sfguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #59
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
That MP3 is an interesting looking ride. Are the front ends pretty reliable? I'd think that as long as they keep things simple it should be easy to maintain. Front tires should last twice as long eh?

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #60
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't know about how long the front tires will last the way I'm flogging the little beastie. The only problem with the front end seems to be the fork bearings that the factory torqued incorrectly initially. Most of them have been corrected and if you keep them well greased, they seem to go a long time.