Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 05:32 AM   #61
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
You can't post a pic directly from your puter. You need to use a photo hosting site like Smugmug.
I saw on another thread that someone said you could add inline images using [img] [\img] or something like that. Oh well, I can use smugmug or photobucket
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #62
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
i juse www.imgur.com. you can cut and paste the link with forum-friendly img tags after upload.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #63
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
The older I get, the less I enjoy group rides and that's probably because I feel pressure to ride faster than what I typically enjoy. I'm the same way hiking. My experience seems to be that when you gather a group of people and head towards a destination there is often an urgency to get there 1st for some reason.

The last thing I want to do is hold a group of spirited riders up.

re relaxed/spirited groups: it's hard to find a happy medium! "spirited" groups here in the seattle/western wa region tend to be squidly sorts, ramping up to three digits on straights (before braking hard into the corners, their lack of track training painfully evident), while the "relaxed" pace tends to be the Harley or general cruiser crowd, puttering along at the speed limits -- or less. :-(

i want a group that's somewhere in between: ~15ish over, takes corners at interesting (but respectful) speeds, and will overall keep a brisk (but not spastically so) pace. maybe i should keep riding solo...

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #64
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
re relaxed/spirited groups: it's hard to find a happy medium! "spirited" groups here in the seattle/western wa region tend to be squidly sorts, ramping up to three digits on straights (before braking hard into the corners, their lack of track training painfully evident), while the "relaxed" pace tends to be the Harley or general cruiser crowd, puttering along at the speed limits -- or less. :-(

i want a group that's somewhere in between: ~15ish over, takes corners at interesting (but respectful) speeds, and will overall keep a brisk (but not spastically so) pace. maybe i should keep riding solo...
You've described our Meet-up groups perfectly, only problem is we're 1200 miles south.
Check meetup.com and look for groups in your area-read their promo statements-no drama, just ride, no bitching, etc. etc
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #65
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,583
Went for another ride. This time it was two scooters and 3 motorcycles. A few pics:

We rode out to this waterfalls which was partly frozen.

I caught the blast off of a Saturn IV on the ride.

The full story of the ride and more pics is here: http://bamarides.com/ride/planned-ri...urday-2114/30/

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #66
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,097
Klav, great last photo of the rocket. Well, the falls look cool too. No pun of course.

What is your top speed on the Aprilia? Max comfortable cruise speed, solo?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #67
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Klav, great last photo of the rocket. Well, the falls look cool too. No pun of course.

What is your top speed on the Aprilia? Max comfortable cruise speed, solo?
Top speed is around 80. It will cruise comfortably at that speed but I prefer to keep it down around 65.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #68
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Top speed is around 80. It will cruise comfortably at that speed but I prefer to keep it down around 65.
I have been looking for one of the Sport City's. Would prefer an FI model. Not sure if they shipped those into the states though.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #69
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I have been looking for one of the Sport City's. Would prefer an FI model. Not sure if they shipped those into the states though.
Mine (09) is FI. I believe the 08 was FI also. Not sure about earlier models.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #70
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Went for another scooter ride. Had some motorcycles riding along. I posted a ride up to the North Carolina mountains on the Bamarides forum. I was joined by another rider from Huntsville who had just picked up a brand new 2008 SYM HD200. Three motorcycle riders from Alabama joined us. Here's the group:

As you can see, it's a pretty diverse group. We had a great ride through some of the twistiest roads in the country. Bikes ranged from 171cc to 1800cc. In the tight twisty stuff, the only guy who could sometimes stay with me was the guy on the goldwing with a car tire on the rear. It was interesting hearing the grinding noises behind me as he scraped through the curves. The guy on the SYM was also not the slowest of the group.

A few more pics:

That last pic was on the Cherohala Skyway. I was amazed a couple of times going up hill when the SYM slightly pulled away from me despite having the throttle pinned.

A full ride report is here: http://bamarides.com/ride/ride-repor...tour-may-2014/

Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #71
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Very cool! I rode the Skyway 2 weeks ago and it was a lovely ride. Rained all the way back to ATL, so that wasn't as fun...

Did the guy with the new SYM figure out what was causing his overheating? I guess a bike that's sat for 6 years might have some issues, just curious what caused his issues....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #72
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I don't know if he has figured out the overheating. He said he flushed the system a couple of times and got some crud out but that didn't fix it. He was going to check the thermostat next but I haven't heard from him. I'll let you know when I find out.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #73
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=3431.0

It looks like he's still having trouble. Just spotted the above link over on the SYM forum...Sure hope he gets it sorted. The only thing I've heard fail on those HD200s are cylinder heads, so overheating it can't be a good thing long term...

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:34 AM   #74
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,081

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #75
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Very cool! I rode the Skyway 2 weeks ago and it was a lovely ride. Rained all the way back to ATL, so that wasn't as fun...

Did the guy with the new SYM figure out what was causing his overheating? I guess a bike that's sat for 6 years might have some issues, just curious what caused his issues....
9 times out of 10, thermostat failed.