User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Travman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Turned off by Revzilla

OK, so I'm in the market for a new mesh jacket and want to upgrade from a deteriorating 5 yo Firstgear Meshtec. I've tried a few jackets on in local shops but wanted to get some suggestions and sizing opinion from Revzilla. Told the rep that I was interested in the new Firstgear Meshtec, Tourmaster Intake as well as ICON jackets but wanted to find out about sizing on the ICON Anthem. The rep downplayed the Firstgear and Tourmaster jackets then asked what I ride. When I told him a BMW RT and asked again about the ICON he completely raged on the jackets saying they were only meant for guys riding 600 GXer's and were substandard quality. I was surprised and turned off that he was so negative on the brands and then said I should be wearing a Olympia or Rev'it even though I told that neither worked for me because of fit.

Anyway, not what I was expecting when calling Revzilla for gear opinion so wanted to see if this was isolated or the norm.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Transient
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Seems isolated, to me, and outright wrong. I'd give them another try. Of the lot, Rev it certainly makes the best gear, but that doesn't make the rest junk.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
I've had nothing but great experiences with Revzilla. I would send their customer service an email with your complaint. Maybe they got a new employee who isn't good with customers.

Though he may deal with a lot of complaints with that gear, and was trying to help you out.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
ET-VT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I dunno. Sounds like they were just being honest. Firstgear and Tourmaster stuff is decent value most of the time, but it is a lot lower quality than Olympia and Rev'It.

I have had Revzilla staff suggest something less expensive than what I was initially looking at, so they're not just always trying to upsell you.
ET-VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
You asked for an opinion, you got one, you didn't like it. The brands he downplayed ARE subpar compared to the brands he suggested.

If you asked your question here, you would have probably gotten pretty much the same answers.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Transient
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
You asked for an opinion, you got one, you didn't like it. The brands he downplayed ARE subpar compared to the brands he suggested.
I agree in the case of Rev'It, but Olympia's quality has never struck me as above-and-beyond Icon and the like. I love that they choose better materials, but I've seen plenty of quality issues in the Olympia gear at my local shop. My wife and I each own some Olympia pants and they've held up great, but I don't see them as a premium brand.

Like you said, though, it's an opinion.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,475
What I like about Revzilla is that they give their personal opinions if asked for them.

Now if you didn't ask for any opinion, but merely wanted info on that single jacket, I'd be surprised he responded that way.

I found them a better resource than most for helmet shapes, but still pretty flawed between their reviews / measurements, what the techs said on the phone, and then customer reviews. I'm happy with them in that they're trying to make helmet buying less of a guessing game, but I was given information over the phone about a few helmets that didn't jive (long-oval vs. round and the degrees in between) with what all I had learned and/or what their video review said. I think that, in that case, the rep was trying to push a specific brand on me.

Still, I used them for the first time ever for this recent helmet purchase, and don't doubt that if it hadn't have worked out I could have exhanged it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
Hubbman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Revzilla is SOLID!

I've spent more $$$ with these guys than i care to think about. However, i will say that the reason I keep going back is becuase they absolutely RULE. Sounds like the guy was giving pretty good advise, but perhaps he misread the type of customer you are and the way you like to receive feedback. Its a classic sales mistake, but i would honestly give the Revzilla team another shot.
Hubbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Think Revzilla is a solid store and an opinion was asked for and given. I think it is a pretty standard opinion as well.. If I was looking for mesh I would call Twisted Throttle and ask abut their Macna stuff.. some pretty cool design features,, or the best mesh available and call Motoport.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,593
I don't see the problem, he gave some sound advice IMO. Icon stuff is for squids more concerned with appearance then safety. If anything it's below Joe Rocket crap. The current Tourmaster stuff is absolute garbage, and my last Firstgear jacket wasn't anything to brag about.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Travman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Thanks for the comments and I know if I asked for the opinions here, I expect to get flammed and/or striong opinions. What put me off with the rep is that I did NOT asked for any quality opinions, just sizing. The quality report was freely given. Guess I was really surprised to hear the rep refer to a brand they are selling as total crap. And ok, I'll buy the honesty track that some have mentioned.

As for Olympia as quality gear. I think it's ok but I view it about the same or a bit better than Tourmaster and Firstgear. Since they do not make Tall sizes, it does not fit. As for Rev'it, would like to buy it but I'm well beyond the size point of their demographic customer.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
MotorcycleWriter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
I love my Rev'It Tornado but that totally ignores what you said about fit. I agree with you - the customer service guy needs to be of service, not act like some guy at a carnival. I'm not a big fan of RevZilla. I sent some stuff back one time and they gave me some kind of RevZilla credit. I just called them up and they credited my card, but I've been slightly leery of them ever since. I've had better luck at MotorcycleSuperstore when buying that kind of stuff. And their service is ridiculously fast. I called one evening around 6:30 and ordered a set of Michelin tires for my RT. The shipping was free but even so, they showed up on my doorstep about 18 hours later. I'm talkin' before lunch!
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
RevZilla

I am kinda surprised that the sales advisor burned a bridge so to speak..with the brand of gear. Took some guts though for him to do that.. At least you got a opnion....sometimes I feel like sales clerks are taught not pick or help choose.

Mostly, I've found that quality gear cost more to make. I like buying used when possible. I have a couple of Rukka items that I purchased used that were less than 1/2 price and like new. If you know your size and are patient you can find some deals.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,135
Yeah, I'm done with them... I had to return a jacket, they say they never received it, I sent tracking info... no joy. My money goes elsewhere
Old 07-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Yeah, I'm done with them... I had to return a jacket, they say they never received it, I sent tracking info... no joy. My money goes elsewhere
My money is on the shipping carrier, not Revzilla. I always pay for insurance on returns.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote