User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Huzband OP
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,049
Why no bark busters?

What with all the bent & broken levers I've seen, & they aren't cheap, why aren't bark busters used on trials bikes? Can't be the weight. They're what, a pound?
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....07&postcount=1

They are fine for trail riding, but not for competition. Heavy, too large, in the way of proper handlebar to lever to peg location. Remember touching that tree with the buster is a point!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...7#post18679307
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I had a pair on mine and loved em. They're great. Saved my levers and knuckles many times. Then I got new bars and they don't fit. Now I'm back to loose perches. Mine were made by Maier and weren't the aluminum ones. Just hard plastic.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Huzband OP
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,049
[QUOTE=lineaway;21768208]Remember touching that tree with the buster is a point!

Ahh, the finer points of modern rules.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Gordo83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
The ones I had must have been designed differently. If you touched a tree with the guard, you would have touched the tree with the bar too. So it would be a point with or without the guard.
Gordo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like you just had hand guards. Most mount on the bar ends, which make the bike 2 inches wider.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Why? Because you haven't been looking for them.

They are moderately popular here in AZ. I know they are not popular in the upper classes, they get in the way of the range of motion. But for us mortals who's limitations are themselve's and not the machine's there is a potential benefit. I decided that it was in my best interest to use them. I put them on right after breaking a(nother) lever in a simple fall. Inside of a year I think they paid for themselves. They have a little rash on them. I can think of 2 hard drops that I think they saved the levers. Add in a couple of rock wall encounters that saved a few digits (and the mental security that grazing something isn't going to result in a lot of pain in my had). I have never been penalized for a bark buster hitting anything that not having them would not have resulted in the exact same result.

But getting a set to work did take some work. After a LOT of searching, the internet is great at looking at pictures of stuff. I finally got a set of Zeta bark busters. But they were not a simple bolt on. The inner perch was way too long, had to cut that back. The bend was slightly wrong, and that alloy they use is REALLY stout. Amazing as light as it is how hard it is to tweak into a better shape. Good thing it only needed a very slight adjustment. I ended up with a set of perches for 7/8" bars and carved them to match the size/taper of the Sherco bars. If you are an instant gratification person who wants to just slap a part on in a few seconds and be done with it, this is not for you. It took a good long evening of working it over to properly fit them. I have every plan to run them for years to come. Almost every event someone comes up and looks them over, wants to know what I use, where I found them, what it took to install them, etc.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Sounds like you just had hand guards. Most mount on the bar ends, which make the bike 2 inches wider.
I've been running plastic Acerbis handguards (no metal bar) on my trials bikes since day one. Never busted a lever or had a tree branch hit the brake and stop me in a section. No broken or damaged fingers. There's no way they are 2 inches wider...maybe 1/2" at most.

Touching a tree with the handlebar or handguard...isn't that only a point if used for support? Brushing a tree as you ride by shouldn't count as a point (I don't think?).
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
I've been running plastic Acerbis handguards (no metal bar) on my trials bikes since day one. Never busted a lever or had a tree branch hit the brake and stop me in a section. No broken or damaged fingers. There's no way they are 2 inches wider...maybe 1/2" at most.

Touching a tree with the handlebar or handguard...isn't that only a point if used for support? Brushing a tree as you ride by shouldn't count as a point (I don't think?).
You're correct NMTB. At least that's the way our club rules read.

The best thing about running bark busters is there is minimal to no chance of the throttle hanging wide open. Talk about a money saver...well worth the weight/cost/install time to save a motor!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #10
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

1/2 inch my ?ss ! When you are squeezing thru a tight spot and get a point I`ll be there a smiling. Just think them guards won`t fit on your new bike! Can`t wait to see it Saturday.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
1/2 inch my ?ss ! When you are squeezing thru a tight spot and get a point I`ll be there a smiling.
If I get a point squeezing through a tight spot, it wouldn't have made any difference if I had handguards on or not except my fingers won't be bleeding afterwards!
How many broken levers have you replaced??
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 620
Lineaway, are you just being provocative? Tell your story about smashing a finger on the same rock twice!

Barkbusters -- they're a good idea if you think so. I've found a new way to fall off one of my practice sections, and saved two clutch levers this week!
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

It`s not how many you break, it`s if you have enough spares in the first place! I have ridden several events with them. I did wish I had them one day. I hit the same rock three times, once a loop.
At lake fork I`ll find you a nice tight spot to stick it!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,675
I'd be a bit hesitant using the protectors with the Aluminium bracing. One fall over the handlebars could result in broken wrists.

Something like these would work better if you think you really need them.

nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Nice example Nev. The other down side is if you bend the bars during an event. Just takes more work. And if you are real unfortunate the busters could bust a hydraulic line. Just look at the pic!
But then again I probably have a spare!