Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #31
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 829
I wonder why they say they don't' like them?

I can understand they could be a bit of a pain in some conditions but considering what can happen in competition or training having the bike stop before it blows up because of a pinned throttle I would think they are a good idea...

Maybe the magnet isn't as strong as it should be, but its hard to believe they wouldn't work well considering they are required by FIM.

Maybe this opens up a different topic on what other options are out there for things like pinned throttles and bikes getting away from you...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,905
I just picked up a Beta dead man kill switch just for those times that me and the bike go separate ways.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #33
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
I just picked up a Beta dead man kill switch just for those times that me and the bike go separate ways.
Have you got a picture of what it looks like, Gordy? I don't think i've seen one before.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #34
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Have you got a picture of what it looks like, Gordy? I don't think i've seen one before.
http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/lanya...essories?pp=25

I haven't put it on yet, but will in the next few days.

Edit: I'll probably break it in a crash!!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #35
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,226
The reason I do not use Bark Busters is
They seem to block my view of the ground and effect my balance.
I think it is all in what you are comfortable with, I wont put them on a trials bike but I wont ride my WR450 with out them

And as for the leavers, I leave mine loose and I cut them short 1 finger for the clutch and two for the front brake. I do that for every bike I ride even my street bikes (and I have never stuck a leaver through my hand or anything else)

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #36
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,604
Quote:
http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/lanya...essories?pp=25

I haven't put it on yet, but will in the next few days.

Edit: I'll probably break it in a crash!!
That's better than breaking it trying to put it on.

They don't look too bad. Let us know what you think about it when its fitted and you've had a chance to try it out.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
Quote:
Don't look, but you may have a rear fender deal going on.
........and maybe turn your levers up a little closer to "flat" and try that out for a day and see if you like it better.
LOL .....I have rear guard in getting plastic welded. It had been broken and welded by the PO so didn't take much to bust it again. They are going to put in some reinforcing this time to strengthen the joint a bit

I have the levers down quite low so my wrists arn't to bent. The bars are not quite at the right height for me - I plan to fit some risers on it once I've fiqured out what height I need.

On to bark busters - I don't even notice them, each to their own
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #38
Huzband OP
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,019
I must say I'm pretty surprised at the discussion this has generated. Lots of good stuff to think about.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #39
DrKayak
Retro Rider

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
That's better than breaking it trying to put it on.

They don't look too bad. Let us know what you think about it when its fitted and you've had a chance to try it out.
+1 .. I am considering one of these too. I beleive it replaces the manual kill switch. Do you mount it on the trottle side so you can kill the engine while still in first? If you mount it on the clutch side you have to remove your hand to activate the kill switch which would require being in neutral.

Saw a rider scouting a section with the strap hanging from his wrist.. best not loose it during a comp. day over.
04 FZ1
DrKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #40
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKayak View Post
+1 .. I am considering one of these too. I beleive it replaces the manual kill switch. Do you mount it on the trottle side so you can kill the engine while still in first? If you mount it on the clutch side you have to remove your hand to activate the kill switch which would require being in neutral.

Saw a rider scouting a section with the strap hanging from his wrist.. best not loose it during a comp. day over.
You can replace the kill switch or run one in concert with the normal kill switch. Buddy of mine runs the mag kill switch on the clutch side and the normal kill switch on the gas side. He only uses the mag kill when he's in a section. He can still kill the bike the with the normal kill when pulling up to the section.

Most people that I've seen using only the mag switch run it on the clutch side, and just reach over with their throttle hand to activate it.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #41
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel Wheeler View Post
You can replace the kill switch or run one in concert with the normal kill switch. Buddy of mine runs the mag kill switch on the clutch side and the normal kill switch on the gas side. He only uses the mag kill when he's in a section. He can still kill the bike the with the normal kill when pulling up to the section.

Most people that I've seen using only the mag switch run it on the clutch side, and just reach over with their throttle hand to activate it.
Never a good idea to mount a kill switch anywhere other than toward to centre of the bars. Reason for this is that its possible to touch an outboard mounted switch, when attempting very difficult uphill section, and the momentary loss of power may well mean a 5.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #42
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Never a good idea to mount a kill switch anywhere other than toward to centre of the bars. Reason for this is that its possible to touch an outboard mounted switch, when attempting very difficult uphill section, and the momentary loss of power may well mean a 5.
I mount mine far enough away from the grip that my throttle hand can't touch it while activating the throttle or brake.

With that logic, how can you run a magnetic kill switch?

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #43
Gordy
Team Listo

I tried the magnetic switch yesterday.

It's going to be a bit of a learning curve. I tried to scratch my nose and killed the bike!

Just like anything new, it kinda bugs for a bit but I think I am going to like it, a little more time will tell.

I can flip it off with my left thumb without taking my hand off the bars, and that was my main concern. Not much extra hassle to speak of, just different.

The advantage if not having an upside down bike on top of me that is running is enough of a benefit that I'm going to give it a try.

I can't remember how many times I have ran over to someone's bike at an event because they fell off and the bike was pinned. These really make sense for lower class riders more so than upper IMO. The biggest risk for an upper class rider is a minder or spectator getting in the mix when a bike "launches".
Old 07-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #44
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,654
Quote:
when a bike "launches".
I've done that!
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #45
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Or ruined shorts.