Old 07-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #46
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
Or ruined shorts.
LOL no sheeit!

Dad fitted the magnet (tryals shoppe) version and likes it. My buddy Josh (master rider) has had them for over a couple years now, because of a ruined cylinder & piston... yes, he said it is a learning curve, learning the best place to mount and wear the lanyard so it wont dislodge, which has happened to him a lot.

Like Gordy said, wiping your face can be an issue lol.

Josh found that he moves around on the bike enough riding tough sections to pull magnet off, so a STRONG as possible magnet is imperative, and then plenty of "leash length?" I would have to have it on left hand, since you can't let go of clutch anyhow to wipe face and such, this way less likely to do 'normal' stuff that causes it to be pulled off?

I think (yet way to expensive maybe to source?) the ones that we have on Jet-ski's or PWC, would be the best, they clip pretty damn hard with an imitation C-Clip around a kill button. a week or more ago, I fell off the PWC trying to do a spinout, and had it's lanyard tied to my vest, Yet was able to keep the jet running, gassed it, and tried to drag myself back on (had both hands on the bars still). I let go finally and it came loose like it should have. If it had been a magnet, the PWC would been dead in water quicker, lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #47
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
If a 2T trials bike is pinned to the throttle stop, then none of the ignition related stop switches will kill the motor.

Most effective way is to flip bike upside down, and less effective is to block exhaust outlet (but damage will often occur in this case).

On bikes fitted with Domino throttles, flipping off the cable cover will work 100% if the problem is related to a snagged or sticking cable.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If a 2T trials bike is pinned to the throttle stop, then none of the ignition related stop switches will kill the motor.
Your absolutely right, but I thought the purpose of a mag switch was to cut off the bike when the rider and bike go separate directions...which in my case is usually way before the throttle pins upon hitting the ground in a fall.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #49
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post

Most effective way is to flip bike upside down, and less effective is to block exhaust outlet (but damage will often occur in this case).

On bikes fitted with Domino throttles, flipping off the cable cover will work 100% if the problem is related to a snagged or sticking cable.
If I fall off the bike, the switch will kill it before it gets to the ground and possible jam the throttle.

If it pins with me on it, I'm dead anyway.

IOW, the magetic switch will work 99.9% of the time that it is intended for.

PS; I would like to see someone flip a bike upside down that has a pinned throttle.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #50
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
I agree with Sting on the jet ski tethers. They fit stronger, have more length on the cord and if you select right,it acts like a key for security. I think I would still run a second standard kill switch.
On the other hand a runaway engine is the scariest thing in motorsports. I`ve seen engines, legs and arms break. Five people chasing the bike around. Safest thing is to watch it destroy itself. Other wise turn off the gas, clutch in, close the throttle and stuff the exhaust.(not in any particular order) But stay away from the chain, sprockets and rear tire. An upside down bike will only stop if the fuel supply stops. (some of the newer bikes just might keep running)
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #51
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
My Trials riding organization, NETA, is requiring the tethered kill switches for next year (gave a years notice at start of this season) I think its the right thing to do to protect riders, minders and spectators; not to mention, the occasional top end. (and maybe a few lower ends too)
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #52
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Talk about a club over re-acting. Just started doing it in the world rounds and now at the club level. Wow. I think it does have a place, like champ and pro riders. They ride unrideable sections on purpose! I can just see the panic in the pits when the father of three kids are trying to find all their tethers after a two hour drive to a trial.
There will now be a new rule for a balk caused by safety device failures! Then a reversal for the guy while on a three keeps pulling the cord. LOL!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #53
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser17 View Post
My Trials riding organization, NETA, is requiring the tethered kill switches for next year (gave a years notice at start of this season) I think its the right thing to do to protect riders, minders and spectators; not to mention, the occasional top end. (and maybe a few lower ends too)
I would hope thats only applicable to upper classes. The last thing we need is one more thing to discourage new riders.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #54
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,055
This issue is somewhat analogous to like modern trials bikes having low engines (like having no bark busters or hand guards). Bear with me.

It's normal to us today, but before the early `90s it was thought trials bike engines must be high in the frame for ground clearance over obstacles. High engines meant ground clearance. The cost, however, was a big reduction in lateral balance stability. Bike designs have evolved toward low engines. Riders adopted techniques to clear obstacles much of the time, and gained always from better lateral stability.

I like minimalism on trials bikes. Bark busters are clutter to me. You tend to crash less or to crash more cat like after many years of trials, which is why upper class riders tend to disfavor bark busters. But they can be practical and things of beauty.

I did smack my right index finger hard into a tree at the last Sipapu event (SX class), and it's just now healing. But that was the only smashed finger incident in, like, 10 years, and I haven't broken or bent a lever in a quarter century (knock on the woody head).
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #55
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

The bikes have come a long way with engine height and bar position. I sure laugh at the new riders putting risers on. They should try to ride a stock ty350 (those pegs were tall!) to see what we used to ride like!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #56
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegraydog View Post
Lineaway, are you just being provocative? Tell your story about smashing a finger on the same rock twice!

Barkbusters -- they're a good idea if you think so. I've found a new way to fall off one of my practice sections, and saved two clutch levers this week!
Bark Busters Smark-busters, it is like some kids think you should get to start at your first job as the CEO and not the "broom operators" like everyone esle does. Bark busters are for you crazy TST dirt bikers, not for something that is a "ballet of motorcycle control and balance"

Oh, and my Dad has a funny story about almost needing them...

I think it was the 74 Ute cup, they rode into a mine shack, or well house, rode around the pit inside then back out this doorway, that had at least 8 inche off the foor to the bottom of doorway opening. The doorway was only about 6 inches narrower than the handlbars on most everyone's trials bikes. dad had a Sherpa-t then.

We were pretty new to the sport, so dad's plan was, lift wheel, do like a "cross up" maneuver to get bars through doorway. He said, got to the opening, went to get the front end up, maybe too late or maybe it spun, but any how, I was in trouble. and the handle bars, hit both sides of the doorway "startlingly" quick! This of course smashed the front brake and clutch levers clear into his fingers, in agony I might add, and "Ka-Wham-Bo" is the sound he says... This only complicated matters, by the way... once the clutch is crushed into your fingers, then the bike stops forward motion, and actually bounces back a little... Which means in a split second there is this "Ka-Wham-bo" again, as the clutch lets out and I was propelled back TO both hands were slammed into both sides of the doorway again...

I laugh so hard, I can't even type the story with any fairness to how funny he tells it...

But it really is like earning your belts, on the way to black-belt. you dont need
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #57
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
This of course smashed the front brake and clutch levers clear into his fingers, in agony I might add, and "Ka-Wham-Bo" is the sound he says...
Sunday at the Ryan Young school, I went back to where we'd practiced pivot turns (the splatter wall) to try them on my bike since I'd been on a loaner Sherco during that part of the class. I got it all wrong and just sorta glanced off instead of pivoting. There are 4x4 posts supporting the splatter wall... I managed to hit one with the clutch lever, squishing my middle finger between the lever and bar. Hurt like heck at the time, and still hurts a little now.

Before I even had the bike turned off, I thought of this thread.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Talk about a club over re-acting. Just started doing it in the world rounds and now at the club level. Wow. I think it does have a place, like champ and pro riders. They ride unrideable sections on purpose! I can just see the panic in the pits when the father of three kids are trying to find all their tethers after a two hour drive to a trial.
There will now be a new rule for a balk caused by safety device failures! Then a reversal for the guy while on a three keeps pulling the cord. LOL!
I 100% disagree with you. Novices get completely bent out of shape on even simple crashes and bikes go careening out of control. We should all take sensible provisions to keep the sport as safe as possible for everyone who attends an event. Besides, If you cant easily get used to a elastic tether (The jitsie tether is elastic and you can wipe your face w/o stalling) then as I trials rider, you have much bigger problems.

Your argument that I should risk a top end job or way worse, a potential injury, because someone might lose a tether is pretty lame. If your that worried, there called spares and there cheap. (a simple small magnet will work as well that you could hide on the bike)

One of the keys to holding events is insurance. What to do you think happens to the cost of insurance when that same dad with 3 kids gets one of them slammed by a bike. I'll bet he's not too worried about the lost tether at that point. (I know I would feel terrible if it was my event it happened at) An easy to swallow Oz of prevention is way worth it IMO and pisses me off that a well spoken and popular veteran like you doesn't lead the way to keep the sport safe.
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #59
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 630
Best post of thread so far, Sting. Now we're getting somewhere!
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #60
Huzband OP
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Bark Busters Smark-busters, it is like some kids think you should get to start at your first job as the CEO and not the "broom operators" like everyone esle does. Bark busters are for you crazy TST dirt bikers, not for something that is a "ballet of motorcycle control and balance"

Oh, and my Dad has a funny story about almost needing them...

I think it was the 74 Ute cup, they rode into a mine shack, or well house, rode around the pit inside then back out this doorway, that had at least 8 inche off the foor to the bottom of doorway opening. The doorway was only about 6 inches narrower than the handlbars on most everyone's trials bikes. dad had a Sherpa-t then.

We were pretty new to the sport, so dad's plan was, lift wheel, do like a "cross up" maneuver to get bars through doorway. He said, got to the opening, went to get the front end up, maybe too late or maybe it spun, but any how, I was in trouble. and the handle bars, hit both sides of the doorway "startlingly" quick! This of course smashed the front brake and clutch levers clear into his fingers, in agony I might add, and "Ka-Wham-Bo" is the sound he says... This only complicated matters, by the way... once the clutch is crushed into your fingers, then the bike stops forward motion, and actually bounces back a little... Which means in a split second there is this "Ka-Wham-bo" again, as the clutch lets out and I was propelled back TO both hands were slammed into both sides of the doorway again...

I laugh so hard, I can't even type the story with any fairness to how funny he tells it...

But it really is like earning your belts, on the way to black-belt. you dont need
Wow! This takes me back. I rode a Sherpa-T 326 back in the day as well, although I never rode any mine shacks.

But what I'm taking from the responses in this thread is, at least it seems like, if I can't afford the occasional thirty dollar lever, I shouldn't be riding trials.

Now that I think back, I don't remember ever bending a lever once I was past the novice class. But that was then.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote