ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Rides - Victoria, Australia

Possibly the most boring thread title to date, but hey at least it's straight to the point.

Thought I'd share some of our rides throughout the state.

I'll update the thread with new rides as they happen.

All of our rides begin in the Dandenong Ranges, East of Melbourne.

Mt Macedon ride - 25th June, 2013;

Our route for the day:



Set out on a cold and misty Winter morning.

After filling the Tiger in Lilydale, we set off towards Yarra Glen.







Eventually, the sun started to break through.







Heading through the Kinglake National Park.



..time for a Mrs Tiger selfie



The road to Kinglake.



Enjoying views of the Yarra Valley shrouded in mist from Kinglake.





Safety first!



More views.



Stopped at 'Flying Tarts' in Kinglake West for coffee and snacks.



..I think Mrs Tiger had cold hands back there.



Food!



Still cold?



Ready to get back on the road.



Decided to check out the Kinglake National Park.



Stopped at the Masons Falls picnic area.



The track to Masons Falls.



The falls (The sun was low in the sky making taking photos a challenge).

Very picturesque and a nice walk.





Looking down the valley.





The view of the (very) distant city from Mt Sugarloaf a little way further into the park.





Down the mountain to Whittlesea.



Lost again..



Made it to Mt Macedon for lunch at the Trading Post store.



It was freezing up here!





The Major Mitchell lookout at Mt Macedon.



The memorial cross commemorating Australia's war fallen.





Directions to everywhere..





..and for something different, Straws Lane.



For some reason to do with perspective perhaps, this particular stretch of road outside Mt Macedon appears to face downhill, but when you stop and put a vehicle into neutral with your foot off the brake, you will roll backwards uphill seemingly. Obviously, this works much better in a car. It is quite cool and worth a visit if you're on the way to Mt Macedon.

Sort of explained here: Gravity Hill

Running out of sunlight, we returned home via the freeway stopping in Warrandyte for a quick break.



A nice Winter's day out.

Cheers,

JM.

jmcg screwed with this post 05-17-2014 at 06:07 PM
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Broadford ride - 2nd July 2013

Another fresh Winter morning ride.

Decided to explore some roads out around Broadford.

Emerald to Flowerdale.



The road to Yarra Glen.



Looking back at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie.



Mrs Tiger is keen on a visit, but today's not the day

Stopped at the Dixons Creek Cafe, but it was too early for business.



Looks like a good place to stop for a snack or lunch.. We'll have to check it out another day.

Turned off on Break 'O Day Rd towards Flowerdale.

The mist threatened to roll in..





Some construction work made the road slippery.



Flowerdale to Broadford;





Stopped for a short break in Strath Creek.



Not much here other than the general store and the pub..





Back on the bike, heading up the hill towards Broadford.





Stopped for the view from the Murchison Gap lookout.





Great views!





The road to the lookout.



Stopped at Cliftons on High Cafe in Broadford for lunch.





Great food at reasonable prices.





No idea what this thing once did, but thought it was worth a photo.



Broadford to Kinglake West;



Went back via Murchison Spur Rd.











Decided to check out Strath Creek Falls.



Nice and steep alright!





There's a waterfall down there somewhere..



Went via the imaginatively named Number 1 Camp.



To more fast flowing dirt on Flowerdale Rd.







..then the road to Kinglake West.



Stopped once again at Flying Tarts for coffee and cake!



Kinglake West to Yellingbo;



The road to Kinglake.



Beenak Rd to Yellingbo.



Yellingbo to Emerald;



Macclesfield Rd to home!



Another great Winter ride

About 260km's.

Saw lots of new roads to explore on the next ride.

Until then..

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
mcperformance
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Victoria, Australia
Oddometer: 101
Thumb Day ride

Hi jmcg,
Great ride report.
I've put it in my day ride list, as I'm only down the road from Melbourne ( approx. 120 klm east little town called Trafalgar). My mate has not long had his DL 650 & is always keen for a ride.
I'm going to take him over Falls Creek via Omeo across to Tallangatta sth side of Kosciuszko to Jindabyne then along the Barry Way to Buchan Caves then home (Will be over 3 Days) makes it a easy trip.
Keep up the good reports.
Chappy

__________________
Visit my website for exhaust and mufflers
http://www.mcperformance.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Another fresh Winter morning ride.

Decided to explore some roads out around Broadford.

Emerald to Flowerdale.



The road to Yarra Glen.



Looking back at the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie.



Mrs Tiger is keen on a visit, but today's not the day

Stopped at the Dixons Creek Cafe, but it was too early for business.



Looks like a good place to stop for a snack or lunch.. We'll have to check it out another day.

Turned off on Break 'O Day Rd towards Flowerdale.

The mist threatened to roll in..





Some construction work made the road slippery.



Flowerdale to Broadford;





Stopped for a short break in Strath Creek.



Not much here other than the general store and the pub..





Back on the bike, heading up the hill towards Broadford.





Stopped for the view from the Murchison Gap lookout.





Great views!





The road to the lookout.



Stopped at Cliftons on High Cafe in Broadford for lunch.





Great food at reasonable prices.





No idea what this thing once did, but thought it was worth a photo.



Broadford to Kinglake West;



Went back via Murchison Spur Rd.











Decided to check out Strath Creek Falls.



Nice and steep alright!





There's a waterfall down there somewhere..



Went via the imaginatively named Number 1 Camp.



To more fast flowing dirt on Flowerdale Rd.







..then the road to Kinglake West.



Stopped once again at Flying Tarts for coffee and cake!



Kinglake West to Yellingbo;



The road to Kinglake.



Beenak Rd to Yellingbo.



Yellingbo to Emerald;



Macclesfield Rd to home!



Another great Winter ride

About 260km's.

Saw lots of new roads to explore on the next ride.

Until then..

Cheers,

JM.
__________________
Visit my website for exhaust and mufflers
http://www.mcperformance.com.au
mcperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcperformance View Post
Hi jmcg,
Great ride report.
I've put it in my day ride list, as I'm only down the road from Melbourne ( approx. 120 klm east little town called Trafalgar). My mate has not long had his DL 650 & is always keen for a ride.
I'm going to take him over Falls Creek via Omeo across to Tallangatta sth side of Kosciuszko to Jindabyne then along the Barry Way to Buchan Caves then home (Will be over 3 Days) makes it a easy trip.
Keep up the good reports.
Chappy
G'day Chappy,

Thanks for reading!

I know Trafalgar, been through there a couple of times in the past.

Some great riding around your area.

Have fun on your ride.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Crustyvarmint
Back road wanderer
 
Crustyvarmint's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 401
You guys are really enjoying these fine winter days.
Thanks for posting.
G'day Chappy.
__________________
Derek.

1100gs (two and three wheels)
Crustyvarmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
masterbrewer
TDMster
 
masterbrewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Oddometer: 2,517
Fabulous ride report & photos, thanks for sharing

But surely you can't be such a grumpy ol' bugger


with such a little hottie, who is so happy to have her arms around you ........................ so jealous



Not meaning to offend, Congratulations
masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #7
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustyvarmint View Post
You guys are really enjoying these fine winter days.
Thanks for posting.
G'day Chappy.
Thanks for reading!



JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbrewer View Post
Fabulous ride report & photos, thanks for sharing

But surely you can't be such a grumpy ol' bugger

Not meaning to offend, Congratulations
Hey, thanks for reading along!

Yeah, I was wondering if someone would comment on that photo..

Mrs Tiger said; "would it kill you to smile".

Probably..



Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 281
My Tiger roams all these places too...

My favourite way in and out of Kinglake is Bowden Spur Rd -- try that one next time it has scenic views, 3 or 4 tight ( for a vw beetle perhaps) switch backs and a nice few k's through the forest to strath...


If you have been there, it's the one that climbs directly next to the high power lines, which makes you feel strange looking sideways at the top of something that tall.

Chocolaterie as I'm sure you know, is good for choco and coffe but the food is hit or miss other than desserts. Which would be fine most times anyway!

My Mrs Tiger has a street triple but she's done the bowden spur on it just a couple weeks back now...

Chris
__________________
Lusting for: Hoping that 2015 Tiger XC will be rev 2
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2011 Tiger 800 XC -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Chris View Post
My favourite way in and out of Kinglake is Bowden Spur Rd -- try that one next time it has scenic views, 3 or 4 tight ( for a vw beetle perhaps) switch backs and a nice few k's through the forest to strath...


If you have been there, it's the one that climbs directly next to the high power lines, which makes you feel strange looking sideways at the top of something that tall.

Chocolaterie as I'm sure you know, is good for choco and coffe but the food is hit or miss other than desserts. Which would be fine most times anyway!

My Mrs Tiger has a street triple but she's done the bowden spur on it just a couple weeks back now...

Chris
Hey, thanks for that.

I saw the turnoff for Bowden Spur Rd and wondered if there was some good riding to be had

Now I know!

Next time for sure..

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
Tastrel
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Oddometer: 21
Top Box

Great report and I have done some of these roads during a trip down there. Great riding to be had. I was wondering what the top box was? some sort of pelican? Could you give details of the box and how it's attached please?
Tastrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastrel View Post
Great report and I have done some of these roads during a trip down there. Great riding to be had. I was wondering what the top box was? some sort of pelican? Could you give details of the box and how it's attached please?
G'day,

Thanks for reading

Here's a link for the top box from Caribou Cases.

Mrs Tiger wanted something that she could lock her helmet in.

Both box and luggage plate have performed without fault.

The box is also a quick release system with four quarter turn fasteners.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #13
Tastrel
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Oddometer: 21
Thanks mate, that was just what I was after.

Keep riding and posting!
Tastrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastrel View Post
Thanks mate, that was just what I was after.

Keep riding and posting!
Hey, no problemo.

Yeah, I'm hoping to go on another 'proper' ride real soon.

One of the disadvantages of being a shift worker is that it can be difficult to find the daylight hours to go riding during Winter

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
jmcg OP
Turpinated..
 
jmcg's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: The Dandenong Ranges, Vic
Oddometer: 414
Dromana

Went for a quick ride down to Dromana on the Mornington Peninsula today.

Route for the day:



Saw this little guy hovering over a field next to the road in Berwick.



What's that speck in the sky I hear you cry.. Well, here's an enlarged version.



Some type of bird of prey, maybe someone wiser than me will know what it is..

Made a stop at the coastal village of Cannons Creek.



Cannons Creek itself is a tidal waterway, so it can look a bit sad at low tide.





View of the creek from the pier.



I have great memories of Cannons Creek as I had friends who used to live there and visited often. I like to stop by occasionally and have a wander around. Nothing much has changed there over the years..

Next stop, Hastings marina.



..and yes, I realise that without Mrs Tiger along to play photographer, really this is just a gallery of pictures of a bike with slightly different backgrounds. Suck it up people!

Stopped on the Dromana foreshore.





..and what else do you have for lunch when you're at the beach but fish 'n' chips!



Took the scenic route via Arthur's Seat.





Views of the bay.



..before heading home again to get out of the icy wind

Not the most inspiring report, but hopefully as the weather improves we will have some time to do more interesting rides.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014