Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #46
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,943
I must be lucky or run my bike enough that stale fuel does not inhibit its function.

The wrong oil can cause havoc. Even the Castrol TTS makes my bike sputter when cold but running Sea Foam in it from time to time to clear that out.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #47
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I must be lucky or run my bike enough that stale fuel does not inhibit its function.

The wrong oil can cause havoc. Even the Castrol TTS makes my bike sputter when cold but running Sea Foam in it from time to time to clear that out.
It's sensitive to basically everything, worse then a woman on PMS.
If you got low quality fuel, forget about it, it WILL NOT run.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #48
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
It's sensitive to basically everything, worse then a woman on PMS.
If you got low quality fuel, forget about it, it WILL NOT run.
Never had that problem in the states.

The only thing a lot of owners in the US do is add a water trap on the compressor line to stop any emulsion from entering the injectors. Proper spec oil minimizes this.

I will take mine out for a rip today. Been a few days.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #49
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Never had that problem in the states.
One local dealer sold about 400 of them in 2003. 3/4 of them blew up during
first few months. Almost put him out of business.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #50
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
One local dealer sold about 400 of them in 2003. 3/4 of them blew up during
first few months. Almost put him out of business.
There must be a legendary thread somewhere about that other then internet hearsay.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #51
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
There must be a legendary thread somewhere about that other then internet hearsay.
The guy is now a Kymco dealer, and I worked for Kymco for past 2 years
(don't anymore).

I've heard it from him in person... and from many other while working in
a Peugeot scooter dealership in 2003 and 2004.

Not just aprilia, all of those Ditech/Purejet scooters. Piaggio NRG, SR50,
Gilera Runner, and the Peugeot Jetforce. Same issues.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #52
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

That is very surprising, the number of these scooters sold and the amount of info on AF1 forum. Sure you get the posts about problems, like any bike, but you don't have thirty thousand bikes that do not run.

When I took my bike to the Aprilia dealer, I knew more than him about my bike. Most dealers of this unique bike I would expect the same.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #53
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
That is very surprising, the number of these scooters sold and the amount of info on AF1 forum. Sure you get the posts about problems, like any bike, but you don't have thirty thousand bikes that do not run.

When I took my bike to the Aprilia dealer, I knew more than him about my bike. Most dealers of this unique bike I would expect the same.
If you lived in europe or worked at any of the affected dealerships it wouldn't be surprising info at all.
I'm actually surprised more people don't know more about it since it's been more then 10 years now.

There's about 30 piaggio/aprilia dealers in Croatia right now and they've all been through hell in those 2-3 years.
I've met them all personally because of my line of work.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #54
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

The dealers here rarely see these bikes. The head mechanic of the old Pat Clark motorsports dealer was really impressed with the stoutness of these bikes. A mechanic that works on all of the Italian marques as well as when I first met him years ago working for a Honda/Kawasaki dealer.

Regarded, the US isn't an enormous scooter market, we have folks in the US and Canada with 10,000 to over 20,000 miles(not km) without rebuilding. Maybe folks are subjecting the bikes, which are the Ferarris of the scooter world to less than ideal conditions. As you mentioned, poor quality fuel and most likely improper oil types.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #55
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
The dealers here rarely see these bikes. The head mechanic of the old Pat Clark motorsports dealer was really impressed with the stoutness of these bikes. A mechanic that works on all of the Italian marques as well as when I first met him years ago working for a Honda/Kawasaki dealer.

Regarded, the US isn't an enormous scooter market, we have folks in the US and Canada with 10,000 to over 20,000 miles(not km) without rebuilding. Maybe folks are subjecting the bikes, which are the Ferarris of the scooter world to less than ideal conditions. As you mentioned, poor quality fuel and most likely improper oil types.
Oils were fine, they knew what to use, and were instructed they'd loose their
warranty if they didn't use it. But it was like throwing a coin if you scooter
will start the next day. Some people went through a spark plug a day.

Crazy issues.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #56
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

As an actual owner of the bike in question with first hand experience, take a look at the plug from my bike right now after 2,400 miles and counting.

There is one problem with these bikes and that is the fuel pump. Mine quit on me and I did the HGT fuel pump mod and it has been trouble free since.

If you have first hand knowledge of what people did to their bikes for maintenance, how long bikes sat, what type of abuse the bikes were subject to, etc. then you may have some credibility. Until then, you are pulling a JerryH(sorry Jerry for using you as an example).

I think you were spreading misinformation earlier in this thread too. I don't care to dredge it up again.

I will give you one thing about this bike. It is worth your while to do your research before buying, as I did with my bike. It has helped make the right choices to having a great running high performance 50cc 2 stroke that sips gas and oil.

If it weren't for 2 strokes being loud little ringa-dingers I would keep this bike for commuting as it works great for that and it is fast around a corner too!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #57
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Fine, I'm a liar then.
I don't care.

Unsubscribing.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #58
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
...plug from my bike right now after 2,400 miles and counting...
It looks pretty darn good for a smoker. If mine, I'd prolly replace it with an Iridium (IX) when the time comes.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #59
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
It looks pretty darn good for a smoker. If mine, I'd prolly replace it with an Iridium (IX) when the time comes.
These are direct injected so oil does not mix with fuel so plugs stay clean.

If the wrong oil type is used then it ends up in the compressor and some can get into the injector and burned off in the combustion chamber.

If compression goes low then you get unburned fuel and a possibility of a dark plug. My bike has only produced clean plugs with the exception of a dual ground plug which blocked the flame kernal and it left the insulator tan.

I have tried the gospel plug for the SR, the ZMR7AP from NGK. It burns very clean but it drops top speed a couple mph.

Took the bike out tonight to meet up with the future wife and her mother, whom is visiting from Japan and what a hoot! I really do love this bike. It truly does rip for a little 2 stroke.

I had it out a few weeks ago and there was a guy on a Zuma, bug eyed 2 stroke riding the shoulder of a 45mph major thoroughfare. Not legal to do that in this state.

He kept getting the jump on me due to being stuck in traffic. I did a little Bob and weave action and when traffic opened up I blew right by the bastard. He was doing over 40mph(not legal, again, since he had no plate). I was doing something illegal too when passing him at 56mph

Scooter kills!

SR: 1
Zuma: 0
Old 12-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #60
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Quote:
Fine, I'm a liar then.
I don't care.

Unsubscribing.
Not saying you are a liar but 225 bikes out of 300 being sold through one dealer blew up?

A high quantity of bikes fouling plugs?

These bikes are not like a carbed bike. To get excess fuel out of this type of FI system is only possible by having low compression. That or the wrong spark plug.