User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
Kropotkin OP
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,182
Moving pucks on Touratech Zega bags

So I recently chopped my old BMW R1150GS in for a 1200, and had the Touratech luggage rack fitted so I could swap my existing Touratech Zega bags onto the new bike.

However, since riding with the bags for the first time, I noticed the 1200 is much less stable with the bags on than the 1150 ever was, the bike wanting to weave at anything over 110 km/h, whatever setting I used for the ESA damping. On examining the location of the bags when I got home, I noticed that they are probably 5-10 centimeters (2-4 inches) further back than when they were mounted on the R1150GS. This, I suspect, is what is causing the instability, with the weight much further back on the bike.

I intend to simply remove the pucks, drill new holes for them, and fit the existing set of pucks for the bags. After that I should be able to just seal up the old holes (screws, washers and sealant) and I should be ready to go.

Has anyone done this before, and if they do, is there anything I need to look out for? Can I reuse the same screws holding the pucks on now, or should I replace them? Will they be as strong as when I fitted them the first time? Are the holes left by the old pucks easy to fill and make waterproof?

Thanks for any suggestions you have!
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,545
Sounds like more of a suspension sag issue front and back. Doubt you'll be
able to move the bags far enough in to make up for that.

On my 1200gs (w/o esa) the front end would ride at least 1" higher going
down the highway. I'm not puttng that much wt in my panniers. That's enough to
upset the balance of the bike and steering inputs.

Get help with adjusting the suspension if you don't know what your doing.
Theres a lot to it if you haven't done it.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
Kropotkin OP
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
Sounds like more of a suspension sag issue front and back. Doubt you'll be
able to move the bags far enough in to make up for that.

On my 1200gs (w/o esa) the front end would ride at least 1" higher going
down the highway. I'm not puttng that much wt in my panniers. That's enough to
upset the balance of the bike and steering inputs.

Get help with adjusting the suspension if you don't know what your doing.
Theres a lot to it if you haven't done it.
Trouble is I have ESA (was already fitted on the bike when I bought it). Can you adjust the suspension base setting outside of ESA, and let ESA handle the rest?

Thanks for the input, by the way.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,871
I agree that moving the bags will have little effect. Is their a ESA setting that adds preload only to the rear? Thats what you need.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,545
Gspot up in Bikes would be a better place to ask this, or ask a moderator to move this thread. Sorry I don't know.

What your looking for is a manual adj wheel on either shock. Don't go adjusting if you don't know how. Suspension is a fine balance of ALL the settings. Someone understanding these can get you dialed in
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
Fibzzz
Resident Cynic

Oddometer: 137
OP, you said you tried switching damping settings. Were you just switching between Comfort, Normal and Sport? If that's all you tried, adjust your base preload setting to 1-up with luggage or 2-up and see if it corrects the weaving problem. If you're a big guy (over 170 lbs), that adjustment should make a substantial difference in the bike's stability.

And, agreed... GSpot is the better place for GS-specific questions and answers! Good luck sorting out your issue.
Fibzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Kropotkin OP
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibzzz View Post
OP, you said you tried switching damping settings. Were you just switching between Comfort, Normal and Sport? If that's all you tried, adjust your base preload setting to 1-up with luggage or 2-up and see if it corrects the weaving problem. If you're a big guy (over 170 lbs), that adjustment should make a substantial difference in the bike's stability.
Good point. Had the preload on 1-up with luggage. Suppose I could try 2-up setting, see if that helps...
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
I still think your suspension settings are wonky, but yes, I have moved pucks.

three of the four pucks were a piece of piss as they were moved a significant distance from the original holes.

The fourth was going to be too close to the original holes, so I used metal epoxy and bonded a very thin piece of 316 stainless cover the areal and redrilled the holes. I suppose I could have riveted it or bolted it too, but the bonding has held for 10's of thousands of miles and a couple crashes.

Remounting the pucks is easier with help. It's a bollocks rash doing it one-handed.

those are self tappers that come from inside the pannier into the puck. If you are worried that there isn't enough meat left to hold the self tapper, you can buy slightly longer ones at a hardwares.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.

Schlug screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 08:04 PM
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #9
Kropotkin OP
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I still think your suspension settings are wonky, but yes, I have moved pucks.

three of the four pucks were a piece of piss as they were moved a significant distance from the original holes.

The fourth was going to be too close to the original holes, so I used metal epoxy and bonded a very thin piece of 316 stainless cover the areal and redrilled the holes. I suppose I could have riveted it or bolted it too, but the bonding has held for 10's of thousands of miles and a couple crashes.

Remounting the pucks is easier with help. It's a bollocks rash doing it one-handed.

those are self tappers that come from inside the pannier into the puck. If you are worried that there isn't enough meat left to hold the self tapper, you can buy slightly longer ones at a hardwares.
Thanks for that. I'm also thinking that it might have been a combination of wet roads and strong winds, but I still think I can improve the location of the panniers. I shall get help in moving them though.