Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
dolickc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
looking for good side zip pants

Hi everybody,
I am looking for some waterproof/resistant riding pants with full side zips so that I can enter and exit them quickly with my boots on.
I have used Aerostich Darien Lights in the past and although they fulfilled the requirement of the zips I did not find them to be water repellent and would quickly get a wet crotch and ensuing flood inside my nether regions during rain storms. Disappointing to say the least.
I ride a couple months a year in South America and find the heat to be unbearable once I stop to eat or gas up and want to be able to get full airflow quickly without the hassle of taking boots off and doing gymnastics.

Any suggestions as to a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks all!
dolickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,044
The new Aerostitch AD-1 pants might be what you are looking for.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
I've had my Olymplia XMoto pants now for a year. They are my third and best pair of pants I have owned so far. Are water proof, with liner, and vent very well in the heat, also very abrasion resistant (use Cordura vs cheaper materials) and have good fit. Get them in your regular waist size to wear over a base layer like CoolMax/dryWear/underArmor or one size larger to wear over street pants. With any motorcycle pants though, you will be more comfortable just wearing them over a base layer rather than street pants. IMO zips that go up the complete length of the leg are unnecessary. I just undo mine enough to get into my boots.

Check youtube for a descriptive video on these.

This applies to all pants. If the are to be cool in the heat they need to vent well and have a separate inner water proof liner you can remove. A separate water proof liner works well enough when it is cool and is pre installed before the ride but has the disadvantage you will need to stop, remove the pants, put on the liner, then put the pants back on if the rain hits with the liner removed such as riding in hot weather. Pants like Klim that have a water proof outer shell and don't need a rain liner, are a bit hot in the heat even though they are vented. There is no perfect solution. The best I can come up with is to carry a set of rain gear I can quickly pull over my gear when the rain hits.

outsidein screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 12:57 PM
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Kind of looking, myself, but hoping to shed a few pounds first. I think these look pretty good. Waterproof liner, leg vents, and full side zipper. Pretty good price, too.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse...ct_images/4584
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 395
A lack of zipper to jacket arrangement and a lack of belt loops on those Scorpion Monroe pants would cause me to look elsewhere. Also, for the money, you could get better abrasion resistance and armor from a higher quality used pant from the Flea Market.

I've been disappointed by pants with a front snap but no other means across the front to keep them from unsnapping. You don't want to slide headfirst down the pavement with your pants down around your thighs!

Belt loops are one option for those who don't want to zip pants to jacket.
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Rackemcrackem
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 395
Those Scorpions might have a metal hook and eye clasp hidden behind the front closure. Can't tell from the ad but that would make them a little better. You could probably sew one in if you wanted.

Ditto on the Olympia X-Motos generally being good pants. I like mine except that some of the seams have unraveled after a couple years of use. I'm having them resewn. The armor that comes with them isn't worth much for the price I paid. I use armored shorts and knee armor that straps to my legs, instead.

Rackemcrackem screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 06:47 AM
Rackemcrackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
dolickc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
thanks for the reply's guys.
This gives me a couple alternatives.
I might lean towards the Olympia pants with a rain pant to slip on over them when the sky opens up. Putting a liner inside just seams really inconvenient and totally impracticable on otherwise hot days. Tourmaster makes a "Flex" pant that is similar. It requires additional rain protection.
I found that my Darien Light pants are so hot that I have the side zips open quite a bit during most of my riding time and I don't think that this is great from a protection point of view.

Just as with bikes, i guess that there is no perfect gear and a person needs more than 1
dolickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I have regular Dariens and thet have been totally waterproof...

Firstgear HT Overpants would also be a good choice.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,289
I'm one of the few that like Tourmaster apparel for on road. Cheap and decent quality, hold up well, perform as designed. Between wife and I we share the OVER PANT and VENTURE AIR.

The Over Pant was on sale on a local dealer and the rep from the distributor was there and pointed them out as it was a cool winter day. They are insulated and waterproof (I have not tested) and zip all the way up. No liners, just an over pant designed to wear over street clothes. Really like them for cooler weather. They sell for about $140

The Venture Air is a vented/mesh pant with double liners, one windproof/waterproof and one insulated. These can also be worn as an over pant in summer over a pair of shorts, or by themselves over a pair of long johns for cooler weather. I like how these are so versatile, bought them for the wife for multi-use as she is an infrequent rider. But I find myself using them for just the mesh as an over pant. Also a full side zip on these. They sell for about $170

I liked the Transition II jackets when they came out, tried them on, liked the venting and waterproofness, but waited 'till they went on closeout and got matching his and hers for $250. They get so little use they will last a LONG time. Really like them. We wear mesh jackets and pants for 3 seasons here.

I'm not saying these are RTW products, but for commuting, weekender trips, and around town they work really well for so-Cal weather without a huge investment.

For an extended trip, like to AK or something, I'd probably get a 'stich Roadcrafter or a Darien set. I have also looked close at and tried on Olympia jackets and pants and really like them.

We get so little rain here in so-Cal that I don't really prepare for it, other can carry a pair of gortex overpants and a gortex shell if it's expected to rain.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Have you considered Motoport Kevlar mesh pants and using Frogg Togg pants or a full zip backpacking rain pant over them when it rains? If you don't encounter rain very often, the mesh will be great for keeping you cooler than a Gore-Tex pant.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Dale950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Another one that fits the description Joe Rocket Ballstic pants 5.0 .
Full leg zipps , waterproof .
The model is now upto 7.0 .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I have been interested in this gear for some time, but haven't wanted to chance the fit issue with gear that would have to include return shipping to and from Canada. I emailed them and got a personal phone call with very good info from the caller. Cordura, waterproof and full two-way side zips.

http://www.rubbersidedown.ca/cordura_pants
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Tourmaster Overpant. I have been wearing a pair since June of '10 with no problems. I make sure I treat them with NikWax every fall, especially in the front area to avoid damp crotch. Warm in the winter down to about 38F which is my limit, they get warm in the summer but opening the vents located on the thighs makes them okay up to about 90F or so wearing Levi's. Protected me when I crashed a year ago April. Broken pelvis, ribs and clavicle accompanied by some pretty good bruising. Only damage the pants show is some abrasion on the left knee. The waist adjusting strap velcro is starting to lose some of its grip after 3 years but I think I can just replace the velcro with new stuff and be good.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #14
OSUFZ1
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidein View Post
I've had my Olymplia XMoto pants now for a year. They are my third and best pair of pants I have owned so far. Are water proof, with liner, and vent very well in the heat, also very abrasion resistant (use Cordura vs cheaper materials) and have good fit. Get them in your regular waist size to wear over a base layer like CoolMax/dryWear/underArmor or one size larger to wear over street pants. With any motorcycle pants though, you will be more comfortable just wearing them over a base layer rather than street pants. IMO zips that go up the complete length of the leg are unnecessary. I just undo mine enough to get into my boots.
+1 on the Olympia X Moto pants. I have used them for a couple of years now and love them. The ability to go from solid shell to huge venting in the front is awesome. And made with genuine Cordura!
OSUFZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 409
I have only been riding the Olympia XMoto pants for a few weeks but love them. Much cooler and more comfortable than the Carhartt bibs I was wearing. The full length zips are outstanding.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote