User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
cyclefreak13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Is 10hp enough

Hi all. I've been wanting to get a hack for a while now. I have a Honda CM200T Twinstar (yes big name for a little bike) that is just sitting. I got to looking for a small sidecar and came across the indian made Inder sidecars. All I really want the hack to do is haul my butt and my dogs butt around on country roads. My question is do you think a little 10hp 200cc Honda would be enough for city/country driving (55mph max)? Is a smaller lighter hack harder to learn on, or would it be good for a noob?

Thanks for the input.
And many more bikes.
cyclefreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclefreak13 View Post
Hi all. I've been wanting to get a hack for a while now. I have a Honda CM200T Twinstar (yes big name for a little bike) that is just sitting. I got to looking for a small sidecar and came across the indian made Inder sidecars. All I really want the hack to do is haul my butt and my dogs butt around on country roads. My question is do you think a little 10hp 200cc Honda would be enough for city/country driving (55mph max)? Is a smaller lighter hack harder to learn on, or would it be good for a noob?

Thanks for the input.
My wild guess is no. It would move, but I do not think it would move fast enough to get out of the way.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
Doubt you'll see anything close to 55 mph.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,261
With all of the 100cc Bajaj sidecar rigs running around Asia I would think that CM200T would work quite well for an around town rig with an Inder.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgser View Post
Doubt you'll see anything close to 55 mph.

+1
and I'd bet a month's pay on it.

I had a Twinstar in the early 80s. It would just barely do 55 two-up on a long flat road. There's not a chance it'll do it pushing that much wind.
With substantially lower gearing it would be a fun grocery getter, but more suited to a top end of 40 than 55
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I had to go up a tooth on the front sprocket on my CB400 to maintain 60mph in 6th gear on the flats with a Velorex 562. And it still takes a long time to get there. High gear was completely useless before that. It is supposedly 30-some ponies, but it is old and been ridden hard and I expect it's on the low end of that nowadays.

Based on that, I personally don't think 10 ponies would be safe anywhere the speed limit was more than 25 or 30 mph. :(

I bet it would get great gas mileage, though!
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
do it

40 max is OK for shopping trips? then do it. A friend had a 8 HP 125cc Gilera with a sidecar, and we had plenty of fun with it around the city.
Especially in the snow and ice.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #8
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,879
BTW, I just checked to see if my memory served me and I was right. It's a whopping 17 HP!

...and STILL won't hit 55 tugging even a very small chair around.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 767
Yes, it's true, you won't be able to set the land speed record on it but it would be fun!

For all of you "Nay" sayers, in college I rode a Honda XL175 with a small home-made sidecar. I carried a metal tool box on it with chunks of steel inside for balast. Riding it down I-25 from downtown Colorado Springs to Pikes Peak Community College daily, I could usually do speeds of 55 mph to 62 mph. So, I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it not being able to do 50 mph.

I say give it a go and have some fun!
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #10
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Is a 200 Twin star really only 10 hp?

I had a reflex scooter with a sidecar that did 55 on the flats fairly easy.
Topped out around 65.
That was a 250cc single, supposedly around 19 hp.
Probably better aerodynamics than a conventional bike though.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #11
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 5,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Yes, it's true, you won't be able to set the land speed record on it but it would be fun!

For all of you "Nay" sayers, in college I rode a Honda XL175 with a small home-made sidecar. I carried a metal tool box on it with chunks of steel inside for balast. Riding it down I-25 from downtown Colorado Springs to Pikes Peak Community College daily, I could usually do speeds of 55 mph to 62 mph. So, I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it not being able to do 50 mph.

I say give it a go and have some fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Is a 200 Twin star really only 10 hp?

I had a reflex scooter with a sidecar that did 55 on the flats fairly easy.
Topped out around 65.
That was a 250cc single, supposedly around 19 hp.
Probably better aerodynamics than a conventional bike though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CM_200T

Old 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
cyclefreak13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Well looks like I was wrong in my memory of the HP output. All I know is its 33 years old and tops out at 68ish MPH on a good day with my fat butt on it. And yes I am very aware that I need enough power to get out of the way. I figured I would need to drop at least 1 tooth on the front sprocket. And thus losing some top end. This added with the drag of the hack will drop the top speed. So I may gamble and buy one of the little Inder rocket sidecars. I just hope it would be able to hold 45mph with a little power left to get up to 50mph or so.

So what about a small light hack for a noob. Is it easier to learn to drive or harder? I've been riding solo bikes for 24 years and know driving a hack is a whole new set of skills.

Thanks for the input.
And many more bikes.
cyclefreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Leaf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
I didn't have too much trouble learning with the Velorex. I'd say it's probably 70 lb or so. It flies really really easy when empty.

IMO, just add a crapton of ballast, then lighten it up a little each day as you practice until you can make emergency maneuvers with an empty hack without dying. :P

I used an old 3-phase electric motor that was probably 100lb at first, then 2 cinderblocks, then one cinderblock.

Don't despair of your top speed with a huge learning ballast. I gain about 20mph between empty and having that electric motor in mine. :P

Please post pictures of your project as it progresses!
Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
A little outfit like you mentioned though not fast would still be a fun local ride. The principals are the same learning on a small or larger outfit. If you learn on a smaller hack and then move to a larger outfit there will be a transition phase learning that particular bikes characteristics. I drove a Ural 1000 miles home never been on one before. I later took a sidecar class using the class bikes which were smaller/lighter around 300-400cc bikes. Skills learned transfered seamlessly to the Ural. Putting a hack "correctly" on to a two wheeler can get expensive. Financially I would suggest buying/building an outfit you plan to keep and learn on it.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,474
A small outfit will show all the traits that a sidecar rig has at lower speeds and with less effort. It will be more sensitive to static weight distribution and weight transfer when underway. You will probably find that it tends to loft the sidecar wheel easier. Adding ballast can help but that will also mean you are pulling more weight. Is all this negative? I really don't think so but ,yes, it would be a little harder to get accustomed to than a larger heavier outfit.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote