ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2005, 01:34 PM   #136
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,290
Where the hell do you get those valve covers ??? I've seen them on a couple of bikes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter von hexhead
I'm curious, what difference are you taking about? rightside up forks, carbs, rally fairing?
The HP2 is basically identical (except for the beak) to the race bike HPN built in '04....

Garthe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:58 PM   #137
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
they are carbon fiber jobs that I've only seen on Jimmy's race bike...

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 PM   #138
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,157
Any of y'all notice that there's not a Telelever to be found on the race bikes?

Curiouser and curiouser.

I think 'Zilla was on the right track with his ADVMoto GS progect. IMO it and the GS RR are what GSes are SUPPOSED to be! If I was 6" taller and had the skillz (and $) that Gaspipe does, I'd have been all over that kit!

Now Andrew's got another one coming up! Wonder what the differences are gonna be?

M
Old 11-30-2005, 02:34 PM   #139
Garthe

Thats the third bike I've seen them on, SOMEONE is making them ???? Who ? And I'm afraid to ask how much $$$$$$
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieter von hexhead
they are carbon fiber jobs that I've only seen on Jimmy's race bike...
Old 11-30-2005, 02:43 PM   #140
Garthe

Laugh

All I need is a tank & fairing combo like this and my HP will have Dakar race bike written all over it. And at a HUGE savings. I heard this bike was near the 200,000 mark. Take that ALL you people that complain how $$$$ the HP 2 cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma
Very sweet!
Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM   #141
Alchemist
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Greg,

Frasers still have their Elefant for sale I understand. A few years ago he wanted $30K for it....but considering its pedigree....probably not that expensive.

I have sat on it but thats all. Out of my league. And if I had the money I'd probably buy a Rallye.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:54 PM   #142
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Zilla's idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike
Any of y'all notice that there's not a Telelever to be found on the race bikes?

Curiouser and curiouser.

I think 'Zilla was on the right track with his ADVMoto GS progect. IMO it and the GS RR are what GSes are SUPPOSED to be! If I was 6" taller and had the skillz (and $) that Gaspipe does, I'd have been all over that kit!

Now Andrew's got another one coming up! Wonder what the differences are gonna be?

M
Watch for an upcoming annoucement...

-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:43 PM   #143
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 9,954
I havent seen that bike for years, is at the shop ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist
Greg,

Frasers still have their Elefant for sale I understand. A few years ago he wanted $30K for it....but considering its pedigree....probably not that expensive.

I have sat on it but thats all. Out of my league. And if I had the money I'd probably buy a Rallye.
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #144
Alchemist
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
I havent seen that bike for years, is at the shop ???
Hidden away in the back rooms apparently. Mind you that would've been over a year ago. I presume he's still got it. Rego would've been a nightmare
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #145
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

Ah yes, the Desert storm or twindero, Ive thought a lot about that, as you say I have a lot of the bits already. The thing is it still is a big lump of a bike, The Dero is pretty heavy, starting with a babystrom you would be saving about 30kg straight of. Im not sure I trust myself with 100hp either . We'll see what the future brings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
:
You have seen this site ?http://www.desertstorm-bike.de/ You alreday have the AT bike to pilfer parts off. and a different front end for the AT. All you need is a 'dero thats been written of 'cause of bent forks and busted body work. It would be better than messing around with one of those strom650 things you've been thinking of. I'd even voulenteer as the test rider if you converted a 'dero to desert storm spec !
Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #146
atgreg OP
Africatwinarama

yes, it's possible, Ive had some vids turned into DVD's already, it's pretty pricey to have it done but easy if you have a DVD recorder and video player at home, although you have to do it in real time, then burning the DVD's is easy.

About a year ago or so, I made an offer to burn copies for people thinking I'd get a few interested, I ended up burning 120 DVD's, what a nightmare, I was doing it at a friends place and just about wore out his burner.Im not keen to do that again however Im happy to let someone else do it if they are interested, most of the vids are old and out of stock so copyright is not an issue.

As I said in the other thread, if anyone wants to gettogether for a BBq / Dakar day Im happy to bring all my stuff along, I just dont have a place to do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
thats one might fine collection Greg.

So its possible to get video's burnt to DVD's nowdays isn't it ? just to preserve them, not to sell to Dakar junkies over the internet or anything, of course
Old 11-30-2005, 04:33 PM   #147
young skywalker
Qual es fecha de hoy?

Oddometer: 91
I sure would like to see Barber's in Birmingham, AL, USA add a couple of these bikes to their collection...

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES
1998 Ducati M750 (rat track bike)

young skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #148
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,208
All you out there need to do some more study!!

the HP2 is no where near like the 900RR - i post in a couple of days with the answer!!

Hay Ewe

ps, (Clue) - its the engine
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #149
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
You will find some great stuff in the bowels of this thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83781

You are not alone my friend. Some day I will either turn my old Sporty or my Guzzi roadracer into an off road beast.

Thanks for the reminder DC950. I just re-read that thread, including my responses where I gushed on about JimJib's Baja Harley. What a nice machine. I remember reading some of his other posts about handling problems with it, though - hope he got it sorted.

My needs are way less aggressive. I lost the need for speed, particularly off-road, some time ago. Miss it, but unfortunately can't go there anymore. So I'd probably use the stock frame and engine, try to lighten it up a bit with plastic fenders and tank, raise the height a bit, add a high mount exhaust and fab up a skid plate - voila, Adv Sportster. My goal would be kind of a GSPD Sportster with long range, comfy ergos, lots of luggage capacity, low maintenance and lots of V-twin character. I think it could be done fairly easily, I just have to mull it over long enough to come up with something that looks cool as well. No sense in putting all that time and money into something and having it look like a Frankenbike.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 08:46 PM   #150
adrenalin-junkie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
The truth about the fenders

You are absolutely correct about the theory on the high fenders . My cousin chased me once on his SUPERFAST 2001 KLR 650 and I was on my Africa Twin in Mexico . I was doing about 180km/h when he came in next to me , that KLR simply loooked like it got airborn on the frontwheel .It actually looked like someone took the front fender and twisted it . I tried fitting a CR500 front fender . it looked great but was ,very unstable over 160km/h (100 mph) .
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
Man, I almost break out in a sweat when I see P-D style bikes. They are just so cool to me. I'm 41 and sometimes when I'm blasting down a dirt road on my DR650, I kinda just sorta maybe a little bit imagine I'm running with the leaders of the great endurance race. A tad childish, I know, but it seems a better choice than recreational drug use.

Hey, does anyone know why Dakar bikes run the low front fender? I'm guessing maybe high speed stability - the high fender might catch too much air at 100+? Also, I guess mud isn't a big factor in the dessert. Opinions/answers?
adrenalin-junkie is offline   Reply With Quote