User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
chopperdoc60 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Held gear. Anyone riding in it?

Greetings inmates. Is anyone out there currently riding in the Held Carese jacket and Torno pants? I'm looking at it and was wondering if anyone out there had any insights. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
chopperdoc60 OP
Adventurer

It's that good huh?
Old 07-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
I've been wearing their gloves for almost 20 years, but I didn't even know they made jackets or pants.

For what it's worth, Held gloves are the best I've ever tried. Comfortable and tough.

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,269
I'm using the Held Cardona jacket. The one that cost (before it was discontinued) like $900. I got mine for half price. I really like the jacket except for the two front pockets have really weak zippers that separated. There are flaps over these pockets though so water still keeps out. Also, portions of the jacket (it's black) have started to fade to a red color. I believe this is front the heat reflection material/coating they put on it. as I have seen this before on another garment with that same coating. Other than that I quick like the jacket. The jacket you are looking at seems to have gotten good reviews. I'd buy another cardona jacket if I found a good deal on it. I use mine with Rev'it everest pants, it's a great combination.

The Held clothing product line seems poorly represented in the US which is sort of shame as they have got some nice offerings.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #5
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,267
Well, not quite the same but I have their one-piece leather/'roo SLADE suit for track days and it's quite fantastic.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
jraugie1
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 476
Held

I just saw Held jackets at the BMWRA Rally in NC and I liked what I saw. I can't remember who the vendor was but it was all 20% off. They had an adventure style jacket and I really liked the lightweight vented one that had a completely vented panel right down the middle. Very clever stuff and seemed well made. Half the price of KLIM/BMW.

Stop Global Whining!
jraugie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I had a Held Carese jacket and it leaked before I sent it back...however, it was really well built and I liked the Jacket. I just can't have gear that isn't waterproof despite manufacturer claims.

That's the same reason I no longer own Tourmaster, Fieldsheer, Spidi, Olympia, or Roadgear stuff...they all leaked.

Held Gloves are absolutely great though. I have a pair of Steves that have been the best gloves I've ever worn. Great feel of the grips...even if I did have to have the stitching repaired after the first year of ownership...once fixed they have been durable. Before that, I had Held Gore Tex gloves...didn't end up being waterproof but the overall glove was good, comfortable, and durable...I got about five years of daily use out of them. When the time comes for new gloves Held will once again be what I put on my hands. My roommate also has a pair of Held gloves...no issues.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
jraugie1
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 476
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightar View Post
that's the same reason i no longer own tourmaster, fieldsheer, spidi, olympia, or roadgear stuff...they all leaked.
+1

Stop Global Whining!
jraugie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
chopperdoc60 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for input inmates!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
MMasz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
I had a Held Carese jacket and it leaked before I sent it back...however, it was really well built and I liked the Jacket. I just can't have gear that isn't waterproof despite manufacturer claims.

That's the same reason I no longer own Tourmaster, Fieldsheer, Spidi, Olympia, or Roadgear stuff...they all leaked.

Held Gloves are absolutely great though. I have a pair of Steves that have been the best gloves I've ever worn. Great feel of the grips...even if I did have to have the stitching repaired after the first year of ownership...once fixed they have been durable. Before that, I had Held Gore Tex gloves...didn't end up being waterproof but the overall glove was good, comfortable, and durable...I got about five years of daily use out of them. When the time comes for new gloves Held will once again be what I put on my hands. My roommate also has a pair of Held gloves...no issues.
So what did you settle on for a waterproof jacket?
00 BMR R1100R: in the past:'07 Suzuki DRZ400S; '95 BMW R1100RS- Stolen ; '88 Suzuki Katana 1100; '78 Suzuki GS1000; '76 Yamaha XS750- while parked, was totalled by an Army Gama Goat; '69 Bridgestone 200 Mach II; '69 Honda Trail 50.
MMasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
blueshoat
Carver

Oddometer: 74
blueshoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
I was going to buy a pair of HELD Gloves at my Local BMW dealer until I noticed they were made in China. $150 gloves made by slave labor, No Thanks! Now if they were $30.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Held has made riding apparel for BMW in the past. They know what they're doing.

I have a pair of the Held Sakai pants. They're fantastic.

There are lots of little touches that you find out after you buy them.

For instance, they're a "convertable" pant like the BMW Summer2 pants. Which is great when you get somewhere and you want to zip the lower part of the legs off and just have a pair of shorts. But... What if when you get somewhere you don't want to wear shorts, but still want to get the knee armour out? On the Sakais, you can remove the armour from the front without taking the pants off or removing the legs. Really handy.

Also, the zippers around the ankles are double zippers. You can leave the bottom one down to make sure the pants stay in place, but open the top one for lower leg ventilation.

The leading edge of the cargo pockets unzip to provide almost an "ram air" effect for upper leg venting.

Just a couple of examples, but you get the idea.

The light grey and black material matches the light grey and black material on the BMW Rallye 2 Pro jacket perfectly. I don't mean, "Wow, it's looks really similar." I mean, "Holy crap. Is this the exact same material?" It looks like they were made to go together.

Oh! Another thing I really like. The zipper that attaches the jacket to the pants isn't a little 6" or 11" zipper, it goes all the way around your waist. When you zip the jacket to the pants, it's basically a one-piece suit. You can tell a lot of thought went into the design of their clothing.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote