ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #61
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 15,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Love em'.....but to my chagrin the State of NC is voting to penalize these cars plus all fuel efficient cars due to the fact they claim that the State does not get enough fuel tax money as we are too fuel efficient and go to pumps less.
How does NC pay for the maintenance of its roads and highway? Through excise taxes on motor vehicle fuel sales? Then I can see their point, if people are buying less fuel, but driving same amount, then impact on roads is not going to be covered by fuel tax to same extent as previously - and they need to make up the shortfall somehow.
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #62
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b
 
Southest US Thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: As Far South and West as you can get in the USA
Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
and dont forget that the GTD comes out next year....



Driven the Euro vs. very nice, pulls out of turns like no tomorrow! Goes into them like a Bat outta Hell...
__________________
It's the Most F5orite Time of the Year!!!
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #63
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
Driven the Euro vs. very nice, pulls out of turns like no tomorrow! Goes into them like a Bat outta Hell...
and will probably still get 45 mpg
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #64
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
and will probably still get 45 mpg
nothing special going on for diesel vehicles ... my 8k lb Cummins 12v diesel 4x4 truck gets 20-22 mpg, no sweat...

what's Jetta diesel weight? 3k lbs?
fuel mileage per lb is about the same
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #65
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target
 
eatpasta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Santa Barbara, Ca
Oddometer: 10,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
nothing special going on for diesel vehicles ... my 8k lb Cummins 12v diesel 4x4 truck gets 20-22 mpg, no sweat...

what's Jetta diesel weight? 3k lbs?
fuel mileage per lb is about the same
Yeah a good friend of mine has a Cummings 1 ton ram and he talks about getting astonishingly good mileage for a 1 ton..... I want to say he was flirting with 30 mpg on the freeway but dont quote me
__________________
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T. S. Eliot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #66
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ben99r1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pomona, Calif.
Oddometer: 3,005
I just read about jeep bringing the JK to the states next year. I keep my cars untill they finally give up and stop on the side of the road. I would like a car with a engine that will last and give me good gas mileage.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #67
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 15,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I just read about jeep bringing the JK to the states next year. I keep my cars untill they finally give up and stop on the side of the road. I would like a car with a engine that will last and give me good gas mileage.
Well, that sure takes the diesels out of contention, then, eh?
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #68
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!
 
RocketJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Denver Metro
Oddometer: 11,330
Porsche needs to bring over that Cayenne S diesel, the new v8 version... That sounds fun!
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #69
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Yeah a good friend of mine has a Cummings 1 ton ram and he talks about getting astonishingly good mileage for a 1 ton..... I want to say he was flirting with 30 mpg on the freeway but dont quote me
yup it's true .. first gen Cummins with 3.07 rear end would routinely get 27+ mpg.

if I keep it under 55 mph, mileage goes up to 24 mpg for my 96 12v Cummins. these trucks are not too streamline so how fast has a huge effect on mileage.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #70
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,703
I have not read all 5 pages...Tired and don't feel all that well....but here is the answer to the OP's post.

Diesel in the US is a dirty word....has been and will be for some time to come.

I have/was around the auto business during the time of the supremely stupid ideas of turning gas engines into diesel....remember those nightmares from GM.

I do think that as soon as the real truth of this hybrid boondoggle comes to pass we will see bio-diesel be the next "green" fuel.

Like I said not doin real well right now so it may not make much sense...but diesel will be a long time coming to the US....real shame. I remember back in the early 90's we had some Europe only Diesel BMW's to look at and those where fantastic cars....fast, clean, great mileage....and next to the Olds we had to mess with...good god, it was like a F15 Vs. the wright flyer.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #71
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 7,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have not read all 5 pages...Tired and don't feel all that well....but here is the answer to the OP's post.

Diesel in the US is a dirty word....has been and will be for some time to come.

I have/was around the auto business during the time of the supremely stupid ideas of turning gas engines into diesel....remember those nightmares from GM.

I do think that as soon as the real truth of this hybrid boondoggle comes to pass we will see bio-diesel be the next "green" fuel.

Like I said not doin real well right now so it may not make much sense...but diesel will be a long time coming to the US....real shame. I remember back in the early 90's we had some Europe only Diesel BMW's to look at and those where fantastic cars....fast, clean, great mileage....and next to the Olds we had to mess with...good god, it was like a F15 Vs. the wright flyer.
Anyone under 40 doesn't know anything about the GM fiasco, or at least certainly doesn't have any first hand experience.

I think there's something else at play.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #72
Drif10
Accredited Jackass
 
Drif10's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Gates of Moscow
Oddometer: 46,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
I think there's something else at play.
Fuel taxes and oil companies that pay for elections.
__________________
I guess your get up and go needs a coffee. - Drif5
Drif10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #73
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
all that means is we in the USA gets what the rest of world have been driving (small diesels) for decades...

want a diesel Landcruiser? nope not in the USA, but sprinkled all over the world...
...with a manual trans

Good luck finding one of them here in the US.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #74
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
yup it's true .. first gen Cummins with 3.07 rear end would routinely get 27+ mpg.

if I keep it under 55 mph, mileage goes up to 24 mpg for my 96 12v Cummins. these trucks are not too streamline so how fast has a huge effect on mileage.
You could say that about my 'Stoke too. If I kept it to a dull roar, I'd get low-20s mpg on road trips. Dull roar = 62-65mph. The ex- had it going 80+ on the trip back from West Fest with Shogs and Jon in the truck. I hate to guess what the mileage was that trip!

My truck had 4.11s in the back and was geared to tow at 55mph, so anything faster was sucking the fuel.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #75
McCormack OP
eltiT resU motsuC
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 7,076
Something interesting I noticed was how popular diesel now is in Ireland.

I started going back in 2007 on a yearly basis. In 2011 I rented a Passat diesel. Prior to that only gas seemed to be offered.

Last fall I ended up with a diesel Astra Opel.

It just seems weird that a country could seem to switch the way it did. Or was diesel always really popular in Ireland? Actually, I don't even recall seeing any diesel cars prior to that, though I wasn't really looking.

Oh, and that Astra was a dog! It handled well, but getting up to speed took some effort. A 2.0 liter turbo diesel would be a blast on those roads.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014