Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #1
thisisbenji OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
My New GPS Setup (Rokform)

Anyways after getting lost countless times I decided it was time to get a GPS rigged up.

I went with Battery Tender for my USB charging solution and Rokform for my mounting solution.

I have to say these are top quality products. Not only is the Rokform case an awesome mounting solution, but it's a very good case in its own right. I would say it's on par with the Otterbox cases.

The Rokform case is made in the USA and comes in plastic and aluminum versions. The case offers many accessories from mounts to bottles openers. On the back there is a magnet embedded in the case. You can just slap it onto your fridge or what ever.

The handlebar mount has a magnet in the middle in addition to the RMS mount. It makes for a super secure attachment. I use a similar setup mountain biking and have never had any issues.

Really the only downside I see is this setup wouldn't do well in the rain. Although they do include a bag to put over the phone, but I'm skeptical.

thisisbenji screwed with this post 10-03-2014 at 08:47 AM
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 AM   #2
DaMonk45
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 266
magnet?
What effect will that have a compass?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
thisisbenji OP
Adventurer

I have had no issues with the compass. I'v had the case for two years on my iPhone 5. I have a new one on order for my iPhone 6+ that hopefully will perform just as well.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
jowul
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
What do you do in "no service" areas? I encountered a few of those on my recent trip around the Great Lakes.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
thisisbenji OP
Adventurer

I run the TomTom app, it doesn't require cell service or a data connection. Has a "windy road" button too.

The iPhone pictured doesn't even have service. I'm just using it for navigation until my case comes in for my iPhone 6 Plus.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:41 AM   #6
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 16,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by jowul View Post
What do you do in "no service" areas? I encountered a few of those on my recent trip around the Great Lakes.

If you have a smart phone (not a flip phone...sheesh) you have a GPS chip. If you have a gps chip you have a standalone gps.

If you run the right applications ie: Locus, OpenStreetMap...yada, yada you can cache the maps and then turn on Airplane mode to save battery and follow the little purple line all day long.
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Cheap Beer & Tenderloins | "You know your getting old when a bad hair day includes your nose, eyebrows and ears" - Inmate - advNZer?
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote