Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #1
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,136
Mac, mapsource, parallels

Just got a new mac and am running parallels for windows stuff. Mapsource loaded no problem and runs very well in parallels, but, when I try to connect 276c with USB, I get an error message telling me that "no devices were found" It doesn't recognize the GPS.

Ideas?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:51 PM   #2
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,584
Hi,

This may be the obvious,but did you try to unplug and then reconnect the Garmin USB cable or turn the GPS off and then on again.
Did you reboot the Mac after installing Parallels and Mapsource.

I'm curious because others have reported success with the same combo.
Plus my next Mac(if my hotrodded Cube ever gives up the ghost)will be a core duo mini or 20in. iMac and I certainly want to do all my GPS stuff with it,instead of using the kids PC.

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,142
jim,

some people who never had luck with their macs and garmins with usb did have luck using a keyspan (or other brand) usb to serial adapter. (i'm not one of them as i've had luck with virutal pc and an old mac powerbook running usb but i still have the adapters. i'd rather send you mine to try out before you go out and buy one and find it doesn't make a difference.)

check out the parallels forums. there's some discussion of this. here's one:

http://forum.parallels.com/post11862-11.html

also you might need this: http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php

i can't wait for the mac compatibility to get here....

dlew
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
patch29
Surly Rider

Oddometer: 7,365
Is the latest Garmin USB driver installed?

I use a 60csx and can connect via USB/Parallels.
patch29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Thanks for the advice so far. I just updated drivers from the garmin site, so, that should be up to date. Honestly, I'm not much of a computer guy. I know how to use them, but, not fix them. It could be something very basic.

First thing I see is that, unlike on my windows machine upstairs, when I plug in the USB cable to the port, it doesn't instantly recognize that something, anything(!) has been plugged in. I assume that is why I get the error message stating that "no devices are found".

Maybe, I'll run over to radio shack and pick up a USB to serial cable, unless it's really pricy! I'd kind of rather wait for the mac software to come out, if it ever does, than throw money at this...

If I could get it to recognize that a cable has been plugged in, it might work.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
patch29
Surly Rider

Are the Parallels tools enabled? Does it say USB on off in the Parallels window before you boot up Windows?

I don't have my Macbook at the moment or I would check. I am just trying to go from memory.

I am not a Windows user, so I don't know what is normal, but when I am using windows and plug in my GPS the computer does bleep when I plug in or unplug the GPS.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
Are the Parallels tools enabled? Does it say USB on off in the Parallels window before you boot up Windows?

I don't have my Macbook at the moment or I would check. I am just trying to go from memory.

I am not a Windows user, so I don't know what is normal, but when I am using windows and plug in my GPS the computer does bleep when I plug in or unplug the GPS.
HAH! Got it! In the main page, I went to the USB Controller and switched it to Autoconnect "on". I guess, by default, it starts up on Autoconnect "off".

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
patch29
Surly Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
HAH! Got it! In the main page, I went to the USB Controller and switched it to Autoconnect "on". I guess, by default, it starts up on Autoconnect "off".

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cool glad you could get it figured out.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
BRAVO8
Topster

Oddometer: 2
Paralles 10

Same problem 276C not seen by win 7 or Imac. Will look into usb controller setting, where ever they are.
\
BRAVO8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
BRAVO8
Topster

Oddometer: 2
Anyone have any luck getting 276C to be seen in Imac or Win7 running lates parrales? Support is lousy to say the least. Running lates Mavreick and Pararells and cannot get Imac or windows to see GPS. Drivers are in proper place in windows and are latest drivers. Any help would be great. Would really like to do map source of large Imac screen, but right now it looks like a waste of time to think of that. Time to go back to laptop.
BRAVO8 is offline   Reply With Quote