Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #181
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
What, falling off a cliff? My old Trail 90 wound out at 40mph indicated.
The Symba I road last year was screaming it's guts out at 50, GPS confirmed.

I'd be very surprised if 8hp got you 63mph.
I had a CL 90 and a couple of my friends had CT 90s back when they were late model bikes. The 1968 Honda 90s would go 55 mph max, downhill. There is a rule of thumb that 10 hp is required to make a motorcycle go 60 mph. My scooter has 9.5 hp and is intended to go 57mph. It will go 62, but that is over the 5750rpm recommended limit. But it is a torquey 175cc that actually delivers 9.5 hp and has the advantage of Heinkel Aircraft's famous streamlining.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2982116...n/photostream/ This was a 1966 CT90 and would only go 45mph max.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #182
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
My trail 90 might have gone 45mph, downhill, with a tailwind, in a tuck, in cool damp weather. Maybe.

If your 10hp rule is accurate, then a Symba must have close to 8 hp.
Alliance's website says 6.7hp.
'11 Vespa GTS300
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #183
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconville View Post
My trail 90 might have gone 45mph, downhill, with a tailwind, in a tuck, in cool damp weather. Maybe.

If your 10hp rule is accurate, then a Symba must have close to 8 hp.
Alliance's website says 6.7hp.
The 90s made in 1968 and 9 had a more powerful motor than the older ones.
I rode mine quite a lot, about 120 miles a day all summer. Very efficient and high revving. On the flat my CL90 was good for 45-50.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #184
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,253
Just got home from Mexico tonight. I'm tired. No, I didn't get the Super Cub this time but don't count me off just yet. I managed to get an extended test ride on the demo they had. What a fun little bike!
More tomorrow (pics, video, and full story).
Oh, and Feliz Navidad!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:34 PM   #185
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
More tomorrow (pics, video, and full story).
Oh, and Feliz Navidad!
feliz navidad para tí también!!!

Damasovi
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #186
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
feliz navidad para tí también!!!

Damasovi
Gracias!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #187
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

So, no I haven't bought a Super Cub. I'm pretty bummed out but then again it's winter - and it's been one hell of a winter so far in South Texas so I wouldn't be able to get much riding anyway.

What happened? Well, we made several mistakes.

Number 1: they only had the demo. Yes they could get another bike but we weren't sure of the timing.

Number 2: paperwork. My in-laws were missing some kind of Mexican ID. They hadn't renewed their previous one so they had to get another one. Once again, being short on time and with Christmas in between, it just wasn't going to get done.

Number 3: La familia. The family member who told us he could trailer the bike to the border wasn't able to do it anyway.

Number 4: As far as an American buying a vehicle in Mexico and getting it plated in Mexico, well, it just can't be done. You have to prove that you are living there (working, paying bills, etc.). So I found out from the dealership that I wouldn't be able to buy anything anyway unless I buy to export to the US (which is impossible unless you're rich and know someone who knows someone, etc.). Bummer! So if you ain't married to a girl who still has ties to Mexico (in this case, her parents), then forget about it.

Some good news:

Yes my in-laws can buy a Super Cub. Sweet!

Yes it is possible to cross the US border as long as your vehicle has a Mexican plate AND insurance. However, one can NOT import a Mexican vehicle. It has to be driven/ ridden back and forth (no specific amount of time was given by the border patrol agent but it is understood that it must be ridden back and forth regularly).

Yes I will try again in the Spring (when we go back again and this time I hope to be better prepared).

I went for a ride on the Super cub. I was able to get it to about 40 mph and yes it still had some power. I am pretty sure I could have gotten it to 50 mph without a problem. In terms of power it felt pretty close to my Grom. I absolutely LOVE the semi-automatic gearbox. I think it's so cool! The seat is pretty comfy but the handlebar gets pretty close to my knees when I do a tight turn. The bike is actually pretty small. The 17" wheels work great. Suspension is basic but gets the job done.

Honda Thailand has a duo seat and different color body work. If/ when I can get my hand on a Super Cub, I am planning on converting the solo to a duo one.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #188
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Stupid video won't play.

Here's the link:
http://s458.photobucket.com/user/gib...30723.mp4.html
Old 12-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #189
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Stupid video won't play.

Here's the link:
http://s458.photobucket.com/user/gib...30723.mp4.html
Very quiet! Is this marketed as a street only bike?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #190
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Very quiet! Is this marketed as a street only bike?
Yes it believe so.

I love to use the kick to start it. You kick it and you can barely tell it's running. One kick is all it needs. Real good fun.

Honda also sells the Wave. The Wave is sold in a bunch of countries. It basically is a Super Cub. Chassis and engine are the same but the looks of the Super Cub just make the bike. Comes in white or black. Still haven't seen a black one.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #191
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Talking about the Honda Wave for a second. It costs 15,000 pesos or $1,150 in Mexico. And that's the OTD price.

Now what's interesting about the Wave is that it's only a 100cc bike. The Wave is also sold in Europe. It comes straight from the Super Cub and it's a 110cc. It also sports a front disk brake and slightly different styling than the Wave sold in Mexico. Why all the differences? I'm not sure. It must be a heck of a job to be managing the line production at Honda and figuring out what model for what country needs to be build on any given day. I know, I know there's more than one factory but still...
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #192
BAJAborn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hi there, this is my very first post and its not by chance, I have a thing for scooters and underbones. I too was considering buying a new super cub, but when I got to the dealer, the cub on the showroom floor was sold, the guy said he'd call me, weeks later I went to pick up some parts for another bike, and noticed the had a couple on the floor, ask for he manager and was told he had gone out 10 minutes before, called him on his phone and said he couldn't make it back, so I said enough, that same day I went to Suzuki dealer and got a real nice underbone called FD110.

So you might want to consider this bike , has more power (almost 9.8 HP), against 8 Hp on the cub and surely more than the Wave, my experience with other bikes and atv's, is that Honda has typically less HP than similar bikes of other makes. Even not broken in you can feel plenty of power and should eventually deliver more. Honestly think it will make 60 MPH someday.

I am aware of cool factor of the cub and its history, but believe me, the Suki is one of a kind machine, it has some interesting features like an oil filter (in a 110 CC !) and no spokes to break or tighten.

I really wanted the bike with a truck bed in the rear, but wasn't going to put up with the guy, but do not regret my purchase, any way, I can always "forgive" him.

Oh yea, and it was only about 1,250 USD OTD.
BAJAborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #193
BAJAborn
Adventurer

Oh I forgot, they even threw in a nice scooter helmet, nothing fancy but must be a 60-80 dollar value.

Hp is estimated at 9.8 by the factory not almost as posted before.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:46 PM   #194
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,118
BAJABorn, do you live in Mexico?

If you brought it to the states, we would love to get the info on it.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #195
BAJAborn
Adventurer

yes in Mexicali, bout 3-4 miles from the east port of entry. shouldn't be a problem once I have it plated, and that's going to happen once I have some time off.