Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,508
They actually sell Symbas here in AZ. I do not know what the difference in quality is between the Symba and the Cub from Mexico. They certainly have a very different look. But a Symba is not a Cub, as made by Honda. The only actual Cub I have ever seen was way back in the early '70s, so I remember nothing about it. It belonged to a neighbor. But in comparing the Honda Passport of the early '80s to the Symba, the Passport (which is the same as the Cub) is a sturdier, more substantial bike. I owned an '82 Passport for about a year and a half back in the mid '80s. I have looked at a few much more recently. I really want one, but I am just to big for them. I have also looked at the Symba. There is a definite quality difference between the two, with the made in Japan Honda being more solid, with many parts made out of heavier metal and plastic, the fit and finish is better (Honda is well known for their top quality fit and finish) the parts just seem to fit together better.

I am not putting down the Symba. It has been proven to be tough when abused, but some problems have also shown up. I mean broken spokes? I have bent dirt bike wheels severely, and only bent the spokes. Broken spokes on an undamaged rim should be a very rare occurrence, and should not happen if the spokes are not allowed to become really loose. I have an early '70s VeloSolex moped that I destroyed two rear wheels on (broken spokes, bent rims, damaged holes in the soft aluminum hub) The cause of this was overloading. The Solex is designed to carry a max load of 165 pounds. I'm almost 60 pounds over that. It is now hanging on the wall in my bedroom as a display bike. Despite the Passport being to small for me to fit properly on, I doubt I would have any issues with broken spokes. There are also a number of less serious issues which were brought up on the SYM forum, like bad paint, rotted rubber, and rust on new bikes. I doubt that kind of thing was an issue on a new Passport.

The above comments are my opinion only, based on my observations and the comments of others. I do not have any empirical evidence to prove any of it, so I won't argue about it. I have never ridden a Symba, and have not put enough miles on a Passport to know what might happen on a long trip.

Believe it or not, the Maricopa County Sheriffs Department is the one law enforcement agency (if you could call it that) I have never been stopped by.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
But then, he'd have to import it from the Republic of Texas to Arizona.
That's true! We even a have a motorcycle rally called the Republic of Texas Rally in Austin.
http://www.rotrally.com/
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #18
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Symba:

Super Cub:

The Super Cub looks A LOT better than the Symba. Just sayin'.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
I like the tan. I hadn't seen that before.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 5,902
I have to say compared to the SYMba the MX Honda Cub is pretty sweet. Fuel Injection, better lighting, an actual analog fuel gauge, it doesn't have that silly split seat with the grab bar in between. The design looks like it was modernized enough to still keep the basic SuperCub design theme without making it look like a transformers toy. Hey it even has a side stand so it can annoy JerryH's sensibilities.

How can this bike not pass EPA with fuel injection? Probably more of a politics and appearance issue as Honda of America doesn't want to admit that one of their assembled in Mexico bikes meets or exceeds US pollution and DOT standards. The SYMba is carburetored and has smaller lights.

I have to take issue with Jerry's dislike of the Symba. If you've read the underboning couple's around the world on Symbas ride report, their bikes held up remarkably well with none of the issues Jerry likes to cite as major problems for the SYM.. I've also worked at a SYM dealer, I can say first hand that the Symbas I saw and rode were pretty well made bikes.

YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaGeek View Post
I have to say compared to the SYMba the MX Honda Cub is pretty sweet. Fuel Injection, better lighting, an actual analog fuel gauge, it doesn't have that silly split seat with the grab bar in between. The design looks like it was modernized enough to still keep the basic SuperCub design theme without making it look like a transformers toy. Hey it even has a side stand so it can annoy JerryH's sensibilities.

How can this bike not pass EPA with fuel injection? Probably more of a politics and appearance issue as Honda of America doesn't want to admit that one of their assembled in Mexico bikes meets or exceeds US pollution and DOT standards. The SYMba is carburetored and has smaller lights.

I have to take issue with Jerry's dislike of the Symba. If you've read the underboning couple's around the world on Symbas ride report, their bikes held up remarkably well with none of the issues Jerry likes to cite as major problems for the SYM.. I've also worked at a SYM dealer, I can say first hand that the Symbas I saw and rode were pretty well made bikes.

Do you have a link to that ride report?I haven't seen it.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
k3ith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I'd be very surprised if it couldn't meet US standards (at least outside of CA) but they probably aren't selling it here because they'd rather sell bikes they make more profit off of.
k3ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Do you have a link to that ride report?I haven't seen it.
Seems like the word 'underboning' would have gotten you to the thread using forum search, but here you go..http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=Underboning

Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #25
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ith View Post
I'd be very surprised if it couldn't meet US standards (at least outside of CA) but they probably aren't selling it here because they'd rather sell bikes they make more profit off of.
Yeah I guess the USA isn't quite ready for economical transportation just yet.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #26
gore-tx OP
DOUBLE-O G

Quote:
Yeah I guess the USA isn't quite ready for economical transportation just yet.
You're telling me! I live in Texas where everything is bigger. Or has to be.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Seems like the word 'underboning' would have gotten you to the thread using forum search, but here you go..http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=Underboning
I didn't think of that.I suuuuuck at searching.I can't find the door of my house to go outside sometimes.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #28
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

No problem, it's a pretty impressive trip and story, although they get a bit stranded in Malaysia towards the end. Sounds like shipping bikes, even small ones, can sometimes be a big hassle.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #29
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,344
Cool2

I picked up a leftover special from local scooter shop today.

A 2011 model BMS 110cc Chinese SuperCub clone:

Rode it for about 12 mi. and took it all apart to change oil, check valves, took off misc. items that are just dead weight like the steering lock, helmet hooks, metal rak in the step-thru, re-toorque every nut and bolt..

Still not used to the clutch-less 4-speed GP style shifting...

The tires will get changed out soon, if I keep missing shifts that make the rear wheel skid like crazy.

The leading link fork need some getting used to also, instead of fork dive when you come to a stop, the front end actually rises upward....

Cat0020 screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 06:13 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I picked up a leftover special from local scooter shop today.

A 2011 model BMS 110cc Chinese SuperCub clone:

Rode it for about 12 mi. and took it all apart to change oil, check valves, took off misc. items that are just dead weight like the steering lock, helmet hooks, metal rak in the step-thru, re-toorque every nut and bolt..

Still not used to the clutch-less 4-speed GP style shifting...

The tires will get changed out soon, if I keep missing shifts that make the rear wheel skid like crazy.

The leading link fork need some getting used to also, instead of fork dive when you come to a stop, the front end actually rises upward....

Sweet ride.I'd left all the stuff on there and rode the piss outta that bike.