User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #31
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,617
That's the early fork. Very nice.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #32
YamaGeek
Ancient trailbike padwan

Oddometer: 6,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I picked up a leftover special from local scooter shop today.

A 2011 model BMS 110cc Chinese SuperCub clone:

snip..

Rode it for about 12 mi. and took it all apart to change oil, check valves, took off misc. items that are just dead weight like the steering lock, helmet hooks, metal rak in the step-thru, re-toorque every nut and bolt..

Still not used to the clutch-less 4-speed GP style shifting...

The tires will get changed out soon, if I keep missing shifts that make the rear wheel skid like crazy.

The leading link fork need some getting used to also, instead of fork dive when you come to a stop, the front end actually rises upward....

You're removing this stuff to save weight? IMO the leg-shield is one of the best things about the Supercubs and clones. And the fork lock is a nice feature. You try and find an old Honda with a working fork lock, just try to find one, I dare you.

This is false weight savings economy, you've lost what, about 10 pounds?

This bike isn't a twist and go. The best way to downshift an semi-auto clutched Honda is the let it spool down in fourth gear as you come to a stop, and then progressively down shift while using the pedal actuated clutch to make the engagement smoother. Press on the pedal and hold it down for a half second and let it up smoothly. Stomping your way through the downshifts as a habit is a certain way to kill the shifter and (or) the gears.

YamaGeek screwed with this post 07-17-2013 at 11:07 AM
YamaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #33
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,499
Cool2

Steering lock has no value to me, just dead weight.

I don't like having thin metal rack between my legs, I've got plenty of other ways to carry items on the scoot; so the rack goes, too.

If you are looking for these items, they could be yours for shipping cost.

Items I removed from the scoot probably adds up to 4-5 lb. of weight, out of a 187 lb. scooter, that's about 2-3% of difference... probably the same performance gain if you get a aftermarket exhaust or re-jet the carb.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
I'd buy one of those Honda Cubs if they made them here

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
I wonder if you could order one piece by piece and assemble it yourself

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #36
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I wonder if you could order one piece by piece and assemble it yourself
Have a hell of a time getting it reg'd and tagged.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,617
Heh. I remember when "Made in Japan" was a signature for poor quality, and nothing came from China. I suppose the Chinese copy is actually on par with Honda in the late '60's and early seventies. You could beat on a Honda of that era without mercy, so long as you were willing to spend an hour or two wrenching every week. Compared to other offerings, that was pretty good. The formerly top of the line Brit bikes were on the down-slope, and with the strikes and labor unrest in Britain, as well as the bankruptcies at HD in the US, there was nothing in American or British product worth having.

BMW soldiered on, and put out a premium product at a premium price. Few could afford them.

China is in fact the new Japan. Taiwan produces small displacement motos of excellent quality; in many cases superior to the "First World" product.

For those that haven't tried a drum brake on a leading-link set-up, you may be surprised. It's not worthy of Moto-GP any more, but it works well enough within the scope it was designed for. Having the front rise on braking is a real benefit.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #38
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Have a hell of a time getting it reg'd and tagged.
You know you can buy one in Mexico and get it plated in Mexico. It's perfectly legal to drive a vehicle through the border... Just saying.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #39
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Yeah, but you'd never be able to get U.S. plates for it.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #40
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post

A 2011 model BMS 110cc Chinese SuperCub clone:

I've got a yellow '82 Passport. Looks just about identical other than the Passport has a one-piece seat.

Wonder if there's any parts interchangeability?
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #41
scottro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
But then, he'd have to import it from the Republic of Texas to Arizona.
The OP is from Texas.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #42
DOUBLE-O G OP
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNoob View Post
Yeah, but you'd never be able to get U.S. plates for it.
I don't need US plates. You can import any vehicle for 1 year. How do you think people travel around the world? Keep the original license plate. I see cars from Mexico all the time. Not that I would given the climate in Mexico but I too can take my American car and drive it in Mexico. I just need to buy a permit.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #43
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Heh. I remember when "Made in Japan" was a signature for poor quality, and nothing came from China. I suppose the Chinese copy is actually on par with Honda in the late '60's and early seventies. You could beat on a Honda of that era without mercy, so long as you were willing to spend an hour or two wrenching every week. Compared to other offerings, that was pretty good. The formerly top of the line Brit bikes were on the down-slope, and with the strikes and labor unrest in Britain, as well as the bankruptcies at HD in the US, there was nothing in American or British product worth having.

China is in fact the new Japan. Taiwan produces small displacement motos of excellent quality; in many cases superior to the "First World" product.

For those that haven't tried a drum brake on a leading-link set-up, you may be surprised. It's not worthy of Moto-GP any more, but it works well enough within the scope it was designed for. Having the front rise on braking is a real benefit.
Even though I've had decent experience with my Chinese made vehicles, they are still a ways from the Japanese vehicles from the 60's.

My 2008 250cc Chinese scooter has turned over 14k mi. this year.

Other than flat tires, blown fuses and broken speedo/odometer, the scoot has been rock solid. Require minimal maintenance of air in tire, oil change, battery charge... beyond that just gas and go.

The CVT drivebelt and battery are still in decent shape, both OEM items, from 2008.

Though the materials are starting to show decay, the body plastics are starting to develop cracks from vibration, windshield has also developed a small crack that keeps getting bigger as I ride more.

FWIW, China is not the new Japan.. having intimate knowledge of both cultures, the manufacturing principals are vastly different... and there are great friction between the two just base on those principals.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #44
MaineScoot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Hey cat20, I'd be interested in that step-thru rack. I could get it to fit on my 1980 Passport or my Symba. Are you getting rid of the front rack, too?

And I just have to say that based on personal experience and several side by side web reviews the Symba wins over the Cub as far as fit and finish and overall quality. Both are fun to ride, though, and I get over 100mpg on the Symba and ride it with the throttle pegged all the time.
MaineScoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
Hey cat20, I'd be interested in that step-thru rack. I could get it to fit on my 1980 Passport or my Symba. Are you getting rid of the front rack, too?
How about $10 plus ship?.. likely the ship is gonna cost more to ship since it does not appear to fold into a compact shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineScoot View Post
And I just have to say that based on personal experience and several side by side web reviews the Symba wins over the Cub as far as fit and finish and overall quality. Both are fun to ride, though, and I get over 100mpg on the Symba and ride it with the throttle pegged all the time.
I'm sure the SYMba is a higher quality build, finish and overall quality. Taiwanese makes great stuff, thanks to the Japanese occupation of Taiwan back in the days, most of their bicycle/scooter/motor vehicle infrastructure were built by the Japanese.
Taiwanese people have also adopted some of the Japanese principals, just amazing how a tiny island can produce so much goods without much natural and human resource.