Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #91
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmrules View Post
10600 out the door 9800 than tax lic
10200 brother... 10200.... MUWAHAHAHAAAA! Can't flippin' wait! What should be my first upgrade I wonder? Any suggestions out there?
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #92
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3EAR View Post
10200 brother... 10200.... MUWAHAHAHAAAA! Can't flippin' wait! What should be my first upgrade I wonder? Any suggestions out there?
I suspect your first upgrade will be rear tire replacement after you wear that one out in 500 miles with 70 hp in a three hundred pound bike! You'll also need a "smile-reduction "procedure by your local doctor performed!
kojack06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #93
B3EAR
Sheepdog

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
I suspect your first upgrade will be rear tire replacement after you wear that one out in 500 miles with 70 hp in a three hundred pound bike! You'll also need a "smile-reduction "procedure by your local doctor performed!
HAHAHA! You nailed it! My smiles already started and my arse hasn't even kissed the seat yet! I figure a constant state of pirma-grin is definitely in my future...

...Anyone able to describe the ride compared to a DRZ400s (which I currently own and went for a nice little ride out Anderson Butte today)? DRZ I believe is around 297lbs and the Katoom is around 307? Not sure if thats dry or not. I'm thinking the 690 is going to be a bit more nimble because of where the gas tanks positioned under you, but I've never ridden one so I don't know. That, and the rocket propulsion that motors gonna provide...
B3EAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #94
Snobike Mike
Mediumfastguy

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by B3EAR View Post
HAHAHA! You nailed it! My smiles already started and my arse hasn't even kissed the seat yet! I figure a constant state of pirma-grin is definitely in my future...

...Anyone able to describe the ride compared to a DRZ400s (which I currently own and went for a nice little ride out Anderson Butte today)? DRZ I believe is around 297lbs and the Katoom is around 307? Not sure if thats dry or not. I'm thinking the 690 is going to be a bit more nimble because of where the gas tanks positioned under you, but I've never ridden one so I don't know. That, and the rocket propulsion that motors gonna provide...
The ride compared to a DRZee? +25rwhp. Nuff said.
Snobike Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #95
fossriver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I am now the proud owner of a 2013 Duke to keep my 2008 690 enduro company. I only have about 100 miles on it, but I really really like the dual plugs/ride by wire. My 2008 has gone from to stock, to Leo Vince/akra map, to Vortex ecu. All in a quest to make the power delivery as smooth as possible. I have definitely gotten used to my 08. with the Duke, snatchiness seems pretty much non existent.
fossriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #96
tabularasa
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm in

On the contact list at the two closest dealers here in Upstate NY. Thanks for the pricing info... should come in handy.

I'll be selling a few bikes that this '14 690 is gonna replace. Really pleased with the ABS and motor update. I'm going to be taking a trip to New Foundland and Nova Scotia this spring with my dad, I hope this bike is in my garage by then Think I'm going to need a bigger tank for that trip... some 250 mile stretch without service stations apparently..? Beyond that it'll see a lot of weekend trips and tons of dirt! Yay
tabularasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #97
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
On the contact list at the two closest dealers here in Upstate NY. I'm going to be taking a trip to New Foundland and Nova Scotia this spring with my dad... Think I'm going to need a bigger tank for that trip... some 250 mile stretch without service stations apparently..?
Congrats on your first post and decision to try and get a 2014 690. I hope you are successful. Newfoundland is one word, and it rhymes with understand. If you check out this Newfoundland and Labrador adventure motorcycle website http://www.ridetherock.com/forum.php the members there are very hospitable and will usually give you lots of help planning your trip to the island. I can't think of a 250 mile stretch without gas on the island. Labrador yes. I wouldn't bypass any gas stations on the Great Northern Penisula without a full tank. If on a budget pack a small jerry can or a fuel bladder.

The first upgrades for distance/luggage use I would suggest to you would be an after market seat, upgraded upper and lower tank bolts and some sort of pannier/luggage rack to take the weight off of the tank/subframe.

There are so many improvements/upgrades for the 690 out there that if you had exceptionally deep pockets and a bad case of farkle-itis you could essentially replace everything except the frame, swingarm, gas tank, brakes, radiator and the engine.

If you have any questions on NL or farkles, send me a PM so this thread doesn't get too off topic.

Bike Nomad screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 02:12 PM
Bike Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #98
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Waiting Lists

I'm curious, to get on a KTM dealer's waiting list for a 2014 690 do you have to put any money down, or does it vary depending on the dealer?
Old 11-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #99
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
What rhymes with understand? Im stumped.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #100
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
What rhymes with understand? Im stumped.
PM sent.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #101
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike Nomad View Post
I'm curious, to get on a KTM dealer's waiting list for a 2014 690 do you have to put any money down, or does it vary depending on the dealer?
Dealer's choice. I gave them $100 just so they wouldn't forget me, and it's on paper. But they would have called me when they got one otherwise........if no one else had put $$ down. If you give then $$ it's a sale, you get it, if not you are only a prospect, someone gets there 5 minutes before you they can buy it. Generally I wouldn't have but they don't get a lot of 690's and I was ready, so why not.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #102
SuperArabMan
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just out of curiosity, how much different would the 2014 upgrade be compared my 2013 690 enduro R? I wish i had waited for the 2014 if i knew they were gonna make changes. The twin spark engine is definitely a plus, I also have a 2013 690 duke R , rides awesomes and smooth.
SuperArabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:18 AM   #103
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincadre View Post
KTM=Orange, no likey Orange=heritic
+1. If you want white buy your own plastic.

Color is subjective and not functional.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #104
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
I doubt you'll be able to miss anything with KTM marketing, even stuff they did a couple years ago will be an update. They changed the seat foam on the 14 dirt bikes and it's news.

On the bright side it looks like the 14 street bikes will be in the US early, hopefully first of the year instead of May......
Hey! Ive got a 2014 300XCW and the seat is pretty damn good,I never thought Id say that after so many squashed flat useless KTM seats.
KTM worked with Adidas to develop new foam and damned if it dont work.
Not too hard.........not too soft. But then a lot of standing up goes on with singletrack bikes. The new 300 is the best 2 stroke Ive ever ridden,the detail work is better then ever,even has a battery charger lead on the batt already.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #105
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
I'd like the 690, IF they weren't so ugly looking. That headlight sux, the fenders look to small, and everyone mentioning the abs, yeah, look how they appear to be just hung on like an after thought that seems like they would get snagged on branches and just ripped off from any off road ride.

If they made it look more like the EXC line, then I'd be in. The only thing I do like about it is that they changed the ugly old style radiator shrouds.
I think theres more then looks to it.

What other company makes an honest 60+ hp dual purpose single?
Its not like there's a bunch of choices.