Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
In that case, probably your biggest consideration should be whether you want to be waterproof 100% of the time, or have the ability to remove the liners.

The other serious consideration is your value in high end materials (Goretex,Cordura), vs. generic (Polyester, PWR/Wax, Hydratex).
100% waterproof does not exist on a motorcycle at speed. Eventually something leaks or you get water down the neck line or into the boots, etc. Goretex is just a preventative measure but you can't fight water pressure while riding unless you're taping sleeves and zipper junctions. Same applies to ice climbing, it doesn't matter how new or great or expensive your gear is, you will get wet after a while, it's how warm you can stay that matters.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #17
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
100% waterproof does not exist on a motorcycle at speed. Eventually something leaks or you get water down the neck line or into the boots, etc. Goretex is just a preventative measure but you can't fight water pressure while riding unless you're taping sleeves and zipper junctions. Same applies to ice climbing, it doesn't matter how new or great or expensive your gear is, you will get wet after a while, it's how warm you can stay that matters.
My experience differs, but it sounds like you're an expert. Therefore, I will rephrase my comments by asking the OP if he would like his jacket 100% waterproof all the time, or would you like removable liners? It sounds like you'll never be dry anyway, so it might not matter as much
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Travman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
For me the clear choice is Klim. I’ve worn my Traverse jacket through several rain storms and not a drop has come through. Also really like their philosophy of goretex shells without liners. Lastly because Klim gear fits unlike Rev'it that is made for skinny little Europeans.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #19
cjmadura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Cool2

I have both Rev'it (Tornado Pants) as well as Klim (Badlands Pro).

The Klim Jacket cost about $750, but is worth EVERY penny. Without liners, it provides warmth, abrasion protection and keeps you dry through it all.

The Rev'it pants, about $330, work very well in the summer months, and have very good quality. Far better than the lower tier players (Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, Tourmaster, etc...), but it does not approach Klim.

For the same money, Kilm simply smokes Rev'it. If you're after fashion, then Rev'it is your brand - their stuff easily has the best style. Personally, I think the Badlands pro in black is one of the sharpest jackets out there, but even with all the vents, you'll roast nicely in summer. I wish Klim made a true mesh jacket for summer.

FWIW, I wear a compression suit under my jackets at all times. with the original armor removed. If you're serious about impact protection, wear compression armor and ditch the jacket junk - it NEVER stays in place.
cjmadura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
jraugie1
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 471
Disagree here

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Hmmm. I have a Rukka ArmaS that has never leaked but is heavy and not vented. Also my BMG Discovery never leaked but has the same issues as the Rukka. My Revit CP jacket let me down in heavy rain but it has vents all over. I think I see a pattern here.

Stop Global Whining!
jraugie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 5,026
Too many variables to make absolute claims.

How intense the rain, how long you rode in it, windscreen protection on bike, etc.

Klim Adventure jacket after one hour of the most intense rain anyone could care to ride in; just as wet inside as out with everything buttoned up.

Drip drying on bike.

Parking lot drying the next morning.

It's nice but it ain't perfect.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #22
outsidein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
does olympia deserve to stand alongside klim and rev'it?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
I've owned Rev'It and Olympia. I would say that Olympia gear is much more protective and durable. Rev'It gear is impressive off the rack but wears out fairly quickly. Currently riding with XMoto pants and AST jacket. Would prob. have bought the XMoto jacket if it was available at the time. Olympia vents better than Klim and Rev'It Sand and is cooler in hot weather but most of their gear requires a separate rain liner for water proofness, Rev'It does also. If you factor in price I think the Olympia is the value leader.
outsidein is offline   Reply With Quote