Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
maxinflixion OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Cash burning hole in pocket... What to buy?

****Edit*** Holy crap, I just realized I have been lurking here for A YEAR and never posted.... ***end Edit***

So I just sold my '72 CB350. It was a great starter bike and I was lucky enough to break even on the sale after owning it for a year and having a lot of work done to make it safe.

Sold it because I kind of felt like a "fat guy on a little bike" and it had a few little nagging issues that would need to be addressed sooner or later and didn't want to put any more money into it.

At this point I am bike-less and looking for suggestions for fun and solid bikes to search for as I troll Craigslist.

I had my eye on a performance modified CB900F, but it may be a little too much bike for me (and stretched my modest budget slightly), even though I love the look.

Also saw a couple of Seca and Seca II's for sale locally that I liked as well. Going to look at a Seca 750 tomorrow.

I am kind of liking the 80's style bikes that just started looking sporty, but didn't force you to lie across the tank yet.

Given a MAX budget of $2k with a target of UNDER $1500, what bikes am I missing? The alphabet soup of models kind of starts to blur together after a while...
maxinflixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Nighthawk 750 sc. Kawasaki gpz. Might even be able to find a newer ninja 500, or bandit 600 in that price range
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
maxinflixion OP
Adventurer

Definitely seeing eye to eye!

Liking the look of the Bandit for sure. Only 1200's around right now. The Nighthawk SC w/ the little fairing is sweet too!
Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
honda nighthawk cb700sc...a great bike i loved both of mine (this was one of them)

also the honda VT500FT Ascot was another one of my favorites....i rode the crap out of mine (pic not mine)

or the 80's suzuki gs550es..i loved there 80's bikes with fairing but have never owned one

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
maybe not a sport as what your looking for but a damn cool 80's bike..and kind of a mini V-Max

Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
maxinflixion OP
Adventurer

That Fazer is very cool indeed!

So many cool suggestions too. Thanks folks.

I've got to cool my jets a little and continue trolling sales forums and craigslist I think. Since I don't need a bike for transpo it's more of a "want it now" thing. The selection locally has not really been exciting. I am sure it will get a little better as riding season here in Michigan winds down.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,406
I love those nighthawk 700's. Its amazing riding one compared to my 82 650 nighthawk. Lightyears ahead of that turd. Shaft drive, no valve adjustments, Hydro clutch, and at idle it sounds exactly like a new CBR 600. They really don't seem like they're nearly 30 years old. Plus, they look freakin sweet, IMO.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #8
maxinflixion OP
Adventurer

Well, after much craigslist trolling, this bad boy came home with me yesterday...

Couldn't get the registration in my name because it was too late in the day, but it is insured, so I did about 30 miles w/o leaving a 5 mile radius from home today to get used to it. LOVING it.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #9
DoktorT
BigBrowedNeandereer

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxinflixion View Post
Well, after much craigslist trolling, this bad boy came home with me yesterday...

Couldn't get the registration in my name because it was too late in the day, but it is insured, so I did about 30 miles w/o leaving a 5 mile radius from home today to get used to it. LOVING it.

Oh yeah, nice looking, straight and clean. Do like the flow and graphics of the tank, side covers and seat cowl. Find a factory service manual and spend some time on just verifying the maintenace while you are waiting on the title and registration to come through.

Old brake pads don't work well, even though not heavily worn. Same with tires. Flush the old fluid through and bleed the brakes. Use them for a few hot runs, then flush again. The new fluid acts like a solvent and the second flush will remove more goo and crud. Then they may be good to go or removal of crud and they might start to leak.

BEFORE you ride again, pull and push the brake levers as hard as you can. If something is going to give, make it happen in the driveway, not when that dog runs out in front of you at 60mph.

And only 8 days to find something that fit your search criteria and budget. Not too shabby.

DoktorT screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 07:28 AM
DoktorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
maxinflixion OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post
Oh yeah, nice looking, straight and clean. Do like the flow and graphics of the tank, side covers and seat cowl. Find a factory service manual and spend some time on just verifying the maintenace while you are waiting on the title and registration to come through.

Old brake pads don't work well, even though not heavily worn. Same with tires. Flush the old fluid through and bleed the brakes. Use them for a few hot runs, then flush again. The new fluid acts like a solvent and the second flush will remove more goo and crud. Then they may be good to go or removal of crud and they might start to leak.

BEFORE you ride again, pull and push the brake levers as hard as you can. If something is going to give, make it happen in the driveway, not when that dog runs out in front of you at 60mph.
Thanks for the good advice. I have been going through and verifying all the work the seller did to it. He bought it in worse condition and brought it to this stage for a sale. Former airline mechanic that most definitely knew his stuff. I will still be heading to a mechanic of my own for a multi-point inspection as well (and to have a new brake lever installed).

My dumbass was trying to get it onto the center stand last night and dumped it to the right! I didn't know to use the grab rails since my past bikes have all been light enough to stand on the stem and pull back on handlebars. Thankfully, I merely suffered the bulb breaking off the end of the front brake lever (no issues w/ brake operation) and a couple of minor scratches. My mood suffered more than anything else .
Service manual ordered.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,094
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorT View Post

What kind of dog can run 60 mph? A greyhound?
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 332
Nice bike. Looks like an 83 model with the rubber mounted motor. I had an 81. 70k km with no trouble. Check the timing chain tensioners with the tappet cover off to make sure they actually tighten the chains. Just be careful that the top chain is not too tight as there is a guide in the tappet cover which presses down on the chain. They do benefit from a k&N filter and a cutting of an extra hole in the airbox behind the battery to release come extra ponies esp if you are looking for an aftermarket exhaust. A little jetting will help.

enjoy
2014 KTM 1190R
manxkipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Cool bike, I'm a big fan of those. Does it fit you a lot better than the CB350?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,318
nice score.
i would dig that bike
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
maxinflixion OP
Adventurer

Digging up this old thread because I just went and got a bike I trust more for distance. When the top case arrives, I will be one step closer to an adventurer!